User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Tenerrod OP
Backyard Hack

Oddometer: 895
Perth 10hr Day Ride

After recently getting the 660 Tenere back on the road after my big Easter trip i was eager to get out an just ride. Not interested in posting up for a ride, l needed to travel fast for the first half a day to reach my destination but wanted someone to join me. I knew just they inmate for this role, fast enough to keep up, not fast enough to beat me (says l)

SupermanCam pondering what will happen if he gets this log hop wrong.

l have seen this green patch on the map and wondered what treasures it could hold. As the crow flies it was well over 100 km away, quite a way but not far from the turn around point of one of my favorite rides to the Popo food van. The Popo ride is all dirt roads, 118 km of very fast flowing pea gravel roads in State Forrest and between farming lots with a final rail service track to get the 10km to Pingelly. From there it was a quick refuel, the only one on the ride, and a cruise down the slab to Popanyinning. "Hard to say, Nice to stay" is their town moto.
We relaxed in the sun and waved to back to the locals as the passed by like we had lived there all our lives. These people are just great.
With the catching up with the Popo folk done, we headed down the hwy to the next town. I was planning on just slabbing it down there but just out of town a great service track appeared beside a water pipeline. This was a fast track and spat us out right in Yornanning, the gateway to my newly plotted ride.
Heading out of this 2 house town we were looking forward to what was ahead.
A gently curving gravel road between fields of freshly lambed sheep delivered us to a campsite. We had a short stop and looked at the very dodgy fire lookout. A platform on top of a 20ft tree trunk built by Moses and refurbished in the early eighties, lucky there was no ladder. There were two walking trails that led of into the supposedly Bush Turkey and Numbat laden scrub, a 3km hard track and the second a 12 km easy track.
We headed of in what l was sure was the right direction along a road only to turn around and try the other road. My trusty gps was saying i was close but no cigar.
I pondered the screen and looked around and decided l knew the real way.
At this point l should tell you l designed this route with my phone showing google earth in one hand and Garmin Base Camp in the other. What could possible go wrong?
Now this is a sensitive area for some Aussie wildlife, the Numbat and the Bush Turkey.
So off we headed into the bush, 3km hard track here we go.
This so called walking track soon developed into a full blown vehicle track after about 100m, luckily for us as we don't go riding where it impinges on other park users. (there was no one around for miles, that's why we took the path.)
This is where the fun begin in full.
For as mentioned l designed this route of google earth and Base Camp.
Now we startede blasting through the bush and every turn l had plotted turned out to be not only correct but correct to the meter.
Seriously, l had every turn through this new area locked in like l had ridden it a thousand times. Not very often that happens.

This is what most of the afternoon comprised of.

Between tracks we were blessed with wide open dirt roads, but only very short sections were needed. 200 meters here, 500 meters there.

There was grass covered twin tracks, fast fenceline spurts, twisty unridden tracks and of course a few that looked like they had never been ridden.

Cam getting arrested by the first of many logs.
Jeez you were quick to pick up the pig before l could snap a classic.

We were just dumb founded at the quality, quantity and variation of the tracks on offer.
I wish l had of taken more pics but l probably would still be out there if l'd done that.
I was truly revalling in the glorious conditions but in the back of my mind l knew there was a big section of hwy ahead of us.
Some pics of the day...

Have you seen this one yet?

I did this myself on a few occasions as well.

The new ground l had mapped out provided over 60km of the BEST trails around. There are countless others which will mean many, many return trips.
So the day was drawing to a close with a long hwy slab ahead. I felt a bit bad for designing such a momentous ride only to finish with the black death of hwy boredom.

Heading down one tared section there was what looked like a bulldozer track which ran parallel to the road.
Quick check of the mirror and l was off the other side of the road and trying not to get airborne on this rough and ready track.
Like a well scripted story this bulldozer scrape saved the best till last. I crested the last hump with a sliver of daylight between tyres and terra firma. Slowing to a crawl l turned to see Cam do his best Mr Moto X impersonation.
Another 40km of black boredom followed until we hit the hwy proper. A qick sojurn was had along the way in Wandering where we checked out the VMX club setting up for Sunday's racing. No pics but some great looking bikes.
This was where my track plotting finished. It was up to our resourcefulness and imagination to get ourselves home without to much tar.
Not having any options but to ride and look out for tracks off the hwy we headed north from North Bannister towards Perth.
We had gone less than 10km when l spied a track off to our left.
We pulled over, checked the gps and decided any direction was better than the conveyor belt we were traveling.
Having led all day and now just riding blind l ushered Cam to lead the way. It's always good to lead and even better to share the feeling of discovering the new world.
So after resigning ourselves to hwy boredom this track provided an exhilarating finish to our ride. When we thought it was all over this double track gave us some picnickers parked on the track with food layed out, (weird yokals IMO) to ride around, muddy puddles which for their small size they sure made up for with there depth and slipperiness.
This was a tight and twisty track of about 10km with many bush excursions needed to pass fallen timber.
Eventually we came out on the powerline track.
A big red arrow pointing towards home which we gladly traversed northwards.
We crossed the Albany Hwy and continued north until we came to a dilemma.
A very steep and slippery climb. Very steep.
There were two routes up and after a quick walk l pointed Cam to what i thought was the best chance of survival.
As he was about to start his run up l waved him down.
"There is no way in hell i am going to get up that in one piece mate"
If it was the only way, no retreat no surrender, sure l would attempt it. But there was a very small track not to far back that could, just maybe, provide a safe way around this rutted out climb.
So we headed back and soon found ourselves in first gear riding through 6 foot high bushes that have lined the track.
Cam said later all he could see was my whit helmet.
This track had not been driven, let alone ridden in a long long time. LONG time.
I was unsure if we were even headed in the right direction. Cam led us through a garden of slappy bushes but in the end we cam out on the other side of the climb.
We couldn't believe our luck. From hwy to this, bush bashing at its best.
It was 4:30 pm by now
and the shadows were starting to grow.

We were still dumb founded at our luck and grinning like idiots after our great ride.
On top of the world.

The days route....

Thanks cam for joining what was a bloody great ride.

Tenerrod screwed with this post 08-16-2014 at 07:19 PM
Tenerrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
MilltownRover
grease monkey

Oddometer: 21
That's the kind of riding I'm looking forward to and why I enjoy reading the posts on here so much! Two buddies just cracking away and having fun, taking in the road far less traveled.
MilltownRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,030
a lot of the stuff you rode is the 5B's tracks.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,823
Good stuff.

I feel the need to give the HP2 a mid week day run... any chance you could email me your gpx file please?
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:46 AM   #5
Koos
Wheeled Wanderer

Oddometer: 232
GPX file

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Good stuff.

I feel the need to give the HP2 a mid week day run... any chance you could email me your gpx file please?
+1

Great report

Great ride or to Dwelingup today, thank you guys.

DR650....well equipped
The Grey Mare "flying brickette" '96 BMW K75 RT......love that bike!
F 800 GS [Sold] - the bike the GS was always intended to be
Koos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:53 AM   #6
Baz131
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Great report and photos!
Old 08-17-2014, 01:56 AM   #7
Koos
Wheeled Wanderer

Oddometer: 232
BTW that is the Dryandra Woodland conservation area that you managed to navigate straight through......

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dryandra_Woodland

I have camped at the Congelin campground. Great area to spend some time.

DR650....well equipped
The Grey Mare "flying brickette" '96 BMW K75 RT......love that bike!
F 800 GS [Sold] - the bike the GS was always intended to be
Koos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:57 AM   #8
Wannabe Adv Rider

Oddometer: 49
Nice ride report Rod. Glad you and Cam enjoyed yourself.
Sounds like a crap day I decided to have a wedding anniversary on so I could not join you :)

Next time
#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
Tenerrod OP
Backyard Hack

Was a great ride.
The Dryandra woodlands is criss crossed with tracks and roads. You have to show some restraint as it has the camping huts which are very popular with the bush walking fraternity. Or you could just pick a quiet day

Great spot for an overnight group ride but maybe a bit to far for a snail trail.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
Tenerrod OP
Backyard Hack

Yes it is a MAJOR conservation area and should be given a lot of respect when riding.
It is criss crossed by public roads and has gazetted tracks. I think we only rode 100m of walking trail at the very start of the 60km we road.

Tenerrod screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 07:16 AM
Tenerrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
AngryAndo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
GPX File

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Good stuff.

Maybe you should upload the GPX file to Trans Australia Trails.
http://transaustraliatrail.com.au/

DL 650 V Strom
DR 650 2012
Savanah Way 2013 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post21608773
AngryAndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #12
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,954
nice country!
good stuff