Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
StupidDogCoffee OP
IGNORE THIS TEXT

Oddometer: 27
Taking the beginner's course in two weeks. My adventure begins.

My dad gave me his old farm ATV and the wife and I have been taking it out to the hills, getting it dirty and having a hell of a time. It sucks, however, that only one of us can ride at once on the trails. We have been thinking of getting another ATV or a dirt bike so we could ride the trails together, but there's no room on the trailer for another vehicle. We were having this conversation, trying to figure out how we could get another vehicle out to the trails, when the rusty old gears in my head clicked into place. "I could get a dual sport motorcycle," I said.

"That's not a bad idea."

I blinked. I hadn't really expected her to approve a motorcycle so easily, and if I had brought up the subject any other time, it would have been shot down without hesitation.

So I got right on it. I have been doing a lot of research for the past month or so. I have ridden plenty of bicycles and quads, but never a motorcycle, this is going to be a whole new world to me. I signed up for a rider's course for next weekend, and bought the necessary gear. I'm selling a handful of guns to fund the project, and what I get from them will determine what sort of bike I get. I am looking at the Japanese 250s, and if I get enough from the guns I'm leaning towards a new Honda CRF250L. I know that a new bike might not be the most economical thing for a noob, but I do like the idea of a warranty and being confident that my bike is mechanically sound while I'm learning to ride. I've been burned on used cars in the past.

I know it's late in the year to be starting. Here in Oregon the rainy season is about to start, but, well, in Oregon I'll have to learn to ride in the rain sooner or later anyways, and snow and ice are rarely a problem in the Portland area. By the start of next year's off road season I hope to have my skills up enough to follow my wife out to the hills and ride trails with her.

So, if you see someone scooting around on a 250 in Portland, wearing an atomic vomit DS helmet and a black Fly Trekker jacket, it's probably me. Rest assured that I have no idea what I'm doing, just trying to keep myself out of trouble.

Anyways, yeah, that's the plan. I'll try not to wind up under a truck.

I have read a ton of great info on this forum, but if anyone has any essential reading or whatever, it would be appreciated. I'm soaking up all the info I can get my hands on.
StupidDogCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Congrats, and welcome to the world of motorcycles! Have fun at the training, but soak up as much info as you can. Also, once done with training, go home and keep practicing Maybe not that night, but practice should be a life-long thing to do.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDogCoffee View Post
I am looking at the Japanese 250s, and if I get enough from the guns I'm leaning towards a new Honda CRF250L. I know that a new bike might not be the most economical thing for a noob, but I do like the idea of a warranty and being confident that my bike is mechanically sound while I'm learning to ride. I've been burned on used cars in the past.
It's your money. No worries. Glad you are starting with a reasonably-sized bike for a noob.

Enjoy the class. Which location are you taking it at, and what day? A handful of Oregon instructors are on here.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
StupidDogCoffee OP
IGNORE THIS TEXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
Enjoy the class. Which location are you taking it at, and what day? A handful of Oregon instructors are on here.
PCC Willow Creek starting Oct 5
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
congrats.
be sure to go to the dealers and sit on a few bikes to see what you like.
depending on how tall you are you might wat to look at the xt250 also.
it is not as off roady but lower seat height.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/123/14...irst-Ride.aspx
Old 09-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Good bunch of instructors there that weekend. (Like I'd say anything different, right?)

Just don't let Bob tell any jokes. Seriously.

dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,070
Welcome! I'd also suggest sitting on a few, to see what fits you best. Keep in mind that the pegs, bars, seat, etc. can be moved/changed quite a bit for more comfort.

I'd still suggest a used bike though, especially since you're going to be offroading it...and you'll be new at the whole moto thing. If you aren't super-knowledgeable about what to watch out for when buying, you could maybe take somebody with you who is.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDogCoffee View Post

We have been thinking of getting another ATV or a dirt bike so we could ride the trails together, but there's no room on the trailer for another vehicle. We were having this conversation, trying to figure out how we could get another vehicle out to the trails.

Your not trying hard enough....

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
StupidDogCoffee OP
IGNORE THIS TEXT

Well, Bomber, we considered other options, but for some odd reason nothing seemed like a better idea than getting a motorcycle. Go figure.