User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
1976 Honda XL175 clean-up

Hello Guy's, new member and first time poster.
I just started a complete teardown and cleanup of my old XL175 as a winter project. Been lurking for a while on this forum and would like to share my bike's story.
So far I've removed the engine and dismantled it. The reason is because last ride of last summer the valves started to tick very badly. (It had the correct amount of oil.) I have a theory as to why that I would like to share and get input on.
So far I ordered a NOS cam and rockers.
-I tried to upload some pic's but it say's upload failed. wILL try later
strippedthreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

Didn't get much done tonight but here is a pic of said bike.
Motor is on the desk dismantled.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2015, 05:26 AM   #3
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

I made a tool too remove the 4 prong bolt om the oil filter.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 AM   #4
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

Here is my problem, the cam and rockers are worn, in this pic the micrometer is set to the correct lobe height, it's about 0.070" below.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

Finally my fly by night reason as to why my engine bit the big one last ride. When I removed the side cover this is how I found the gasket, see the break in it at the oil passage? It was "repaired" in the past by black silicon and looks as thought it blew out and would have lost oil pressure. Also I found black silicon in the oil strainer. (the one accessable on the bottom of the engine that you remove to change oil.
My idead is this is why the top end turned into a machining factory last ride.
Do any experts here have any input.
Thank you all for your ideas.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,377
I think you're right on the money. Any time there's an oil flow or lack of viscosity problem in the old Hondas, it's the cam and rockers that go first.
How do the cam journals in the head and rocker cover look?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

The rocker cover and head survived. very mild scoring (speed grooves!) but no real issue. I plan on checking the oil pump as per the Clymer manual with a feeler gage to make sure all is OK with the oil pump. According to the manual there is no way to check oil pressure on the 175, only the 250 and 350. What I did do, was remover the rocker cover and roll the bike down the street in second gear to observe the cam turn and oil was pumping to the cam but in my opinion not alot. it's sort of subjunctive though. but it wasn't running dry.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

rocker cover...
Is there a better way to post more than one pic? I sense I'm doing this all wrong.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 853
You can post one pic per post if you 'host' them on advrider. If you'de like to post more per post you need to use another hosting service like smugsmug, flickr, imageshack and so on. The owner of advrider also has a hosting service; using that one gives him more budget for asvrider Sorry, I can't remember which one he owns, might be snugsmug but someone will fill in that blank shortly.

Nice project you have going on, love the small Honda singles.

R100GS rescue: only the brave put it on hold for now

Workshop credo: if it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
jellycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

-Thanks guys. The engine cases are in bad condition cosmetic wise and I want to paint them. I tried finding all the info I could about painting cases on this forum but could use some guidance. Anyone have experience? From what I can tell some parts are aluminum and some magnesium on this engine.
-I've already stripped them with paint stripper. I am painting them as a last resort. They look awful and ALOT of the original paint has peeled off on it's own.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
theraymondguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by strippedthreads View Post
-Thanks guys. The engine cases are in bad condition cosmetic wise and I want to paint them. I tried finding all the info I could about painting cases on this forum but could use some guidance. Anyone have experience? From what I can tell some parts are aluminum and some magnesium on this engine.
-I've already stripped them with paint stripper. I am painting them as a last resort. They look awful and ALOT of the original paint has peeled off on it's own.
From what I can see on the internet, the engine covers look to be the ubiquitous Honda Cloud Silver

The jug and head are 'natural' finish, the best you can do for a match is to glass bead blast them.

The black case cover gasket with the tear was the original. You're 100% correct, there is no way to check oil pressure aside from checking for flow via removing a tappet cover. Don't chintz on gaskets, find a NOS clutch cover gasket here:

http://hondanuts.auctivacommerce.com...s-C340565.aspx
theraymondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

Thanks, definitely going with all new gaskets everywhere. The age is showing on the actual covers themselves. some pitting and corrosion.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #13
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

Here is a pic of the bad pitting. The other case has mild impact damage. Gonna fill it with JB weld.
-I'm certain this has been discussed,but what what's the general conciseness on aftermarket gasket kits?
Do NOS gaskets dry up after 40 years of sitting around, are new aftermarket better, They are considerable cheaper.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

Here is the first coat of JB weld.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #15
strippedthreads OP
Adventurer

Just ordered a new bottom end gasket set. Been looking everywhere and went with genuine NOS Honda parts. Better not to take a chance I guess as I havn't heard wonderful things about aftermarket gaskets, but don't actually have any fist hand experience with them.