Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #61
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
How many people these days know a bike inside and out?
I one day hope to own a bike that I don't have to know inside and out. I must admit the idea of just getting on, switching the key and hitting "start" is appealing. The nice thing about doing this resto is, as you stated, the satisfaction in knowing I did it, and I have intimate knowledge of how things were done and how to take it apart and put it together. I hope this will come in useful if it breaks down on a trip or something. Also, having had it apart, if it does break down, I will have be able to visualize the parts and have a good idea of how to repair it. I do intend to ride this bike. It had 10,000 miles on it when I got it, I hope to put that on again at least 5 fold. Easy to say when you have no experience riding a motorcycle I suppose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mule View Post
There is a CB400 carb tuning thread up here now, copy the info for your carbs.

Right on, mucho respectt for someone who knows his own machine.
Ever seen the Vincent book, "Know Thy Beast"?
It is too expensive for us mere riders to buy now, unfortunately.
Noted, and subscribed to the CB400 thread. Thanks for the heads up! I will always take free advice! I looked up that book you mentioned. I couldn't find it for sale. Only in libraries in England! Looks fun though. I do have the Honda FSM as well as the Clymers. The one from Honda was much more expensive, but worth it I think. The Clymers? Meh, it's okay. Better than nothing.

Still waiting on the engine parts. I also sent out the exhaust brackets and indicator stalks to L-ucky-S-ix (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915854) to be powder coated. Should look great when finished! Will update as stuff starts happening!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #62
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, parts have started rolling in. In orders past, I managed to spend a good bit more than this one did, but this order came with a lot more "bang" for the buck!! My cylinders, pistons and head came back to me from Bore-Tech after a valve job, cleaning, hone+cleaning and having the rings removed and having the pistons de-carbon'd (~$200). They all look fantastic. In addition to that, I received my regulator from Sonrier (thanks mate!), I ordered the disc brake caliper and won the auction on the CB500 right hand control I needed. In addition to that I sent out my indicator stalks and exhaust brackets to a really nice guy on ADVRider to be powdercoated ($25 w/ shipping). Finally, I ordered a voltage indicator light from Sparkbright (http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/index.html) that I'll mount on the dash somewhere (although how cool would it be to integrate it into the speedo or tach!!). Finally, I ordered a set of NOS Honda rings from ebay, should be here in a couple weeks. They are coming from Isreal of all places ($29.99+ free shipping). One slow down, my fork leg was leaking oil. I took that apart and am fixing it. Should start reassembling the engine soon! Enjoy the pix!!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #63
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
Nice tidy job on the cylinders. Make sure you have a nice clean surface between the head and the cylinders.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #64
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
Nice tidy job on the cylinders. Make sure you have a nice clean surface between the head and the cylinders.
Will do! Thank you

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #65
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
gap

gap the rings corrctly and use assembly lube, do your research.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #66
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Mule, by "gap the rings" do you mean off set them the prescribed 120 degrees according to the manual? Is that what that means? Thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #67
ValuePack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
cb200t:

Ring gap is the space left in the void in a piston ring, when installed in the cylinder. There's heaps of good video explaining ring gap on Youtube if you want to see how it's done. It's critical to set this correctly when assembling an engine, lest you end up with an oil burner, or any manner of cylinder/piston damage.
ValuePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #68
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValuePack View Post
cb200t:

Ring gap is the space left in the void in a piston ring, when installed in the cylinder. There's heaps of good video explaining ring gap on Youtube if you want to see how it's done. It's critical to set this correctly when assembling an engine, lest you end up with an oil burner, or any manner of cylinder/piston damage.
I looked it up, thank you for pointing that out!! Looks easy and makes perfect sense!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #69
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today, despite having homework that I'm still procrastinating on, I got some more work on the engine done. As I was cleaning the surface of the case yesterday I noticed something didn't look right. One of the locating pins was dented. Apparently someone has taken my engine apart before and wasn't careful doing it. I ended up ordering a new set of locating pins from CMSNL, so that put a damper on things. I was hoping to have the engine together by now! Oh well.

Today I gapped the rings and inserted the pistons down into their bores. I didn't actually have to file the rings, surprisingly. They were well within the recommended tolerances according to my Honda FSM. I used a little bit of Lucas assembly lube to help things go smoothly. After I get my order from CMSNL, I can put this thing together for real.

I also ordered a complete wiring harness with some upgrades from Sonrier. He's putting a cigarette lighter outlet on, updating the system fuse, adding an input for the LED volt meter I bought as well as a couple other things. Lastly, because I wanted to just update everything while I was at it, I bought a transistorized ignition from Hondaman. So the whole electrical system is updated ;) Well, really, the whole bike has been updated. I'll post up a list of things I've done to it when I have a bit more time. It's practically brand new.

Enjoy:

Coercing the ring to go into the cylinder before checking end-gap.

Setting the ring with the piston.

Mind the gap!

Better put a ring on it.

New home

Bottoms up!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #70
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
Looking very nice!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #71
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Looking very nice!
Thanks!

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #72
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, didn't get as far as I would have liked to, but I got the cylinders, pistons and head put back on. I have to finish cleaning the old gasket off the valve cover tomorrow and put the guts of the head back in. After a little bit or torquing, I'll be all done reassembling the engine. Maybe I'll have the engine back in the bike tomorrow . I think while I'm at it I may as well pull the oil slinger and clean that out and check the clutch before I put the right side exhaust on. Still waiting on my wiring harness and ignition, once those get here I'll run the wires and put the tank on. It's getting there slowly. So slowly

As an aside, this being my first bike, and being the second summer I've had it I still haven't been able to ride anything since my BRC 3 years ago. As hard as it is to not take short cuts, rush, stay up to late, I promised myself I wouldn't. This project will take as long as it will take and it will be done right. The first time. I feel only if it is done that way will I have the reliable machine I want out of this. Still, having said that, I really, really want to ride!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #73
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great progress today. I finally manned up to the task to cleaning off the engine case. It was covered in grease and oil and looked terrible. Through judicious use of engine degreaser, brake cleaner, nylon bristled brush, copper bristled brush, dremel etc I got it looking a lot nicer. It's not nearly as nice as some of the engines on here, but for something that will be ridden daily, it looks pretty nice I think. My wife helped me get the motor back in the bike (I muscled it, she put the bolts through ) and get everything torqued down. I got the starter motor with wife put back on and back in place. As I've been going along I have been replacing all of the phillips head screws with Allen Heads and lock washers. It's made this whole procedure much more tolerable. Tomorrow I'll work on running the wiring harness through attaching the R/R, brake switches, ignition coil etc. Oh, the bike also got a brand new set of points! Since the old ones had corrosion on the point contacts. I'm not going to throw them out since I can just file them down, but I wanted to make sure everything looked good. Anyway, here are a couple pix of the bike and my ugly mug.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #74
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
starting

After you put oil in it, pull out the spark plugs and turn it over with the electric starter for a few minutes, to get oil nicely circulating.
I am sure the net is full of articles about the first starrt of a fresh motor.
Your bike looks really good.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #75
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
After you put oil in it, pull out the spark plugs and turn it over with the electric starter for a few minutes, to get oil nicely circulating.
Will do. I'm debating pulling the right case cover off to check the oil screen and clean it. I have a spare gasket already so it's a matter of scraping the old gasket off. I need to pop the phillips head screws out anyway to replace them with the allen head bolt kit.

Quote:
I am sure the net is full of articles about the first start of a fresh motor.
I have a pretty good article that details how to break in the fresh motor. I would be happy to share if it it would be useful to others.

Quote:
Your bike looks really good.
Thank you, it's been a long time in the making. I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I plan on riding it whenever the roads are dry and not salty. We'll see if that happens.