Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #406
Irish1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Yay for Fey: I've been following your thread everyday as you accumulate more riding and wrenching skill.
It seems like you're really warm and flexible/non-judgemental with people you meet so you can gather in
the knowledge. Thanks for taking us on your journey to eccentric and challenging destinations. Have
you set-up any sort of donation-to-you site or link (or did I, in my grizzled senility, just miss it)? I'd be willing
to help a bit.
Irish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #407
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
I survived! I didn't even drop it!

After the desensitization Pete put me through, the only parts that inspired actual fear were the miles and miles of shitty, deep sand. I didn't get stuck and didn't fall over so it was a success!
One deep sand trick I learned and used in Moab was to put your weigh to the rear and make the steering zigzag rapidly by using a counter-steering type of pressure back and forth on the backs of the bars to keep your front tire from going one way or the other.

Another trick if you are ever halfway up a hill and can't make it, shut the engine off. Now you can use your clutch as a brake so you have control over both wheels at the handlebars and both feet on the ground for stability. That one we remembered after our fellow rider backed down way too fast and had a potentially bad get-off that could have taken one of us out.

I assume you've already learned to stand up over the rough stuff and use the foot pegs for most of your steering power. If not, there's another important one.

Been lurking on the thread a while. I'm going NC to Portland on an XT600 in about 6 months, so we should cross paths. Until then!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #408
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,103
Good to heear you made it...

I won't say that I was worried about you, Fep. I'm am glad you're out of there. Waiting patiently for the story.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #409
rpmmike
crash

Oddometer: 8
Great RR I spent the last few hours reading everything from the first page.

Your Awesome doing everything on the cheap!
rpmmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #410
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 982
Yay Fey! Congrats to mastering the sand! I am still too chicken LOL
Who knows, there is so much white sand here in Florida that I might have to get used to it.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #411
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Well, that was an experience...

I don't want to alarm anyone but I was in an accident yesterday!

I was passing a semi on the 247, maybe 30 miles west of 29 Palms, and went into a tank slapper going about 80 (I try to pass other vehicles quickly to reduce time in the oncoming lane). I must have hit a bump or something, cos the front end started to wobble. It's done this before but it always stops soon after. By the time I figured out that it was getting worse, it was too late. The bike threw me off and screeched off onto the opposite shoulder, leaving a long black skidmark. I slid and tumbled and tried to stay relaxed, which I think helped. I've never fallen off of anything going that fast before. It was a unique experience I am not eager to repeat.

I got up and nothing seemed immediately broken so I walked over to the bike. Everybody on the highway stopped and wanted to make sure I was ok. One of the passersby lived a block away and offered me a chance to relax and regroup which I took advantage of and spent the night.

Injuries: right knee was super swollen, today it has nasty bruises. Right wrist is badly sprained or overextended, I'll keep an eye on it and if it's still bad in a week, I'll go see a doctor. Road rash on my left forearm. No apparent injuries elsewhere, neck is a bit sore today, but that's it.

Bike has some rash on the right fender, hand guard, and bottom of the fork tube. The mermite can took the brunt of the impact and split open like a can of sardines on the bottom of one side, we pounded this back into shape and taped it up. Handlebars were tweaked but easily straightened. Amazingly, there was no mechanical damage to the bike.

My riding pants are completely destroyed, the seat is mere melted ribbons and both knees are blown out. I have absolutely no doubts that wearing them saved me breaking both knees, major disfigurement of the skin on my ass and legs, and helped me slide more than tumble. My jeans, under the pants, have a few small scratches. This engineering is amazing.

All in all, for wrecking at 80, I got away very easily. It could have been much worse.

I am beelining for my parents' place in Phoenix. I'll check out joshua tree sometime that I can really stop and enjoy it instead of worrying about hurrying. I can't pull the tarp straps over my camping gear without both hands.

Updates will be delayed. I will have access to a desktop there so if my wrist lets me type it should go a bit quicker. At least I have been keeping pretty good notes...

I am going to strive to avoid too much excitement until my wrist recovers. I still can't believe I walked away from that. Hahaha.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #412
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Wow, things can go bad fast. I'm glad you're pretty ok. Thankfully you had full gear on. I saw a big tough 1%er at the emergency ward once crying while they scrubbed gravel out of his road rash. Didn't look like fun.
I wonder if a fork brace or steering stabilizer should be next for the DR.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #413
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,376
Positive thoughts being sent your way.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #414
WJW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I can say that I have never done that and don't want to.

Get better soon.
WJW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #415
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
Good lord Feyela! I bet that scared the crap outta ya - gives me the willies just reading about it. Glad you were able to walk away from the accident. Hope you can get to the bottom of the wobble as well. Hang in there, and hope it doesn't ruin your trip.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #416
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I had a tank slapper crash myself a few weeks ago. It was caused by improper suspension setup.

You're going to be very sore for the next few days. Should go see doctor to check you out and get something
for the pain.

73Mustang screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 01:30 PM
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #417
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Really, REALLY glad to hear you made it through another 'adventure' Fey. And another testimonial for ATGATT.

Heal up lady. We need more gals like you in our world.
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #418
JJM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Holy Smokes!

That is a very calm write up of a terrible crash. Too bad about all yer gear, but good news you are alive and mostly well. Definitely take it easy as long as you can. Trauma from an impact as severe as that will set in after a time.
JJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #419
Irish1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Now we need an ADVRider or two from Phoenix to help Fey get her bike suspension sorted so she suffers no more effects from wobbleys. There's gotta be twenty ADVRiders near her parents' house that can help sort the bike as she recuperates from this wreck. Glad your spirit's intact!
Irish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #420
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Glad you are ok Fay. Scary to lose control like that ..... but really glad you are not seriously hurt.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote