Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #631
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Larry Roeseler? Haven't heard that name in a while...the man's a legend! Lucky for you to have worked with him!

Standing in gnarly dirt situations is easier on your body & also allows the bike to move more freely & fluidly without the riders weight bouncing everywhere. And, yes, it's a skill that isn't always easy for noobs. There is definitely a feeling of security associated with sitting & white knuckling the bars. But once you get the hang of standing up & feeling the bike flow, your riding goes to the next level.
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #632
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj551 View Post
Larry Roeseler? Haven't heard that name in a while...the man's a legend! Lucky for you to have worked with him!

Standing in gnarly dirt situations is easier on your body & also allows the bike to move more freely & fluidly without the riders weight bouncing everywhere. And, yes, it's a skill that isn't always easy for noobs. There is definitely a feeling of security associated with sitting & white knuckling the bars. But once you get the hang of standing up & feeling the bike flow, your riding goes to the next level.
Roeseler taught seminars years ago through Cycle Gear. Back when Dave Bertram (owner) was actually still hands on with the business. I also got to ride with Bertram who was no slouch. (ISDE team captain US team)

Bertram gave talks at our dirt bike club ... we gave donations to the ISDE US team. Very smart guy ... and could watch you ride and immediately tell you where you were wrong. Really helped me a lot.
But Rodney Smith was the best ever. He would pass me going up hill on his 250 with his wife on the back ... pulling a wheelie all the way up this knarly ass climb ... wife stuck to him like glue. Best rider I ever saw. Rodney was the guy who said to just treat a steep downhill like a straight ... gas it. INsane! (fearless)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #633
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj551 View Post
But once you get the hang of standing up & feeling the bike flow, your riding goes to the next level.

This is turning into a "how to ride" thread =)

But I agree with this.

Most say grip the bike with your knees. I find that counter productive too. It limits movement and connects you more to the bike. I find the least engagement with the bike (because naturally the bike wants to stay upright via gyro) the better. I ride my bikes like trial bikes though, but it can also allow movement of the bike to gain clearance around corners, around bumps so the bike can take a different line then your body (for a few seconds at least), etc.

I developed basic riding skills from mountain bikes though. I think that's where I get it. No gripping the bike with knees there...

Braappp!! Wish I could go ride now. Work and no winter bike at the moment =(
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #634
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Just finished all 43 pages over the past few days, brilliant and I am in awe of you Feyala. Wish I had the nerve to do something so adventurous, but I guess I am just too much of a softy and like my girly comforts.
Great pictures too. Cant wait for the next installment and have subscribed now. Thanks and Ride safe.
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #635
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Escape from Phoenix!

I managed to escape Phoenix on Tuesday. More than a week after I'd planned to leave, and several months after I wanted to leave, but hey, I'm out and that's what counts, right??

I have been joined by my buddy Oz, who flew to Mississippi, bought a DR650 off a guy there, and rode it to Phoenix to meet up with me. He's fairly new to dirt riding but he's handling the same stuff I do pretty well so far. He has a lot less fear I think, which helps.

Currently in Las Cruces, NM. We've been going slow and taking our time getting back into the routine of things. I'm taking the day off to chillax, catch up on the internets, and get a few things set up on the netbook so I can work on the RR while offline. I've been keeping notes this time though!

As for the backlog, I've got about three rough drafts written, about two to go, then editing the text. Not too bad.

Also, it's my birthday. I turn 29 today. Almost 30! Maybe I'll treat myself to a shower!

I appreciate all of the comments, and I'll be getting back to all of you soon!

It's good to be back on the road!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #636
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
This is turning into a "how to ride" thread =)

Most say grip the bike with your knees.
Those are road riders. Not dirt riders. Similar things happen with suspension setup. Listen to the advice (respect) and then filter it for your situation (application).
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #637
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Happy birthday!!!

Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you!
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #638
ping
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Happy birthday.
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #639
cruiserbiker
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb

Happy Birthday and happy trails
cruiserbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #640
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Woohoo happy birthday!! Glad to hear you're back where you belong, hopefully Karla and I can try it out someday too.
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #641
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 429
Happy (belated) Birthday and best wishes for great journeys ahead.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #642
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Happy Birthday ... looking forward to more travel adventures.

Hope the bike, gear ... and teeth are now well sorted.

Rubber Side Down ... and Sunny Days!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #643
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
florida is a big state. where is your destination?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #644
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 629
Happy birthday

Have and excellent Birthday and what a way to start your trip, all fixed up, a friend to travel with, birthday done, and a complete on line clinic on how to ride!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #645
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Hot Springs Halloween (Oct 31st)

Awakening from a pleasant night's sleep which was far warmer than I'd had in Lone Pine, I feasted on some granola bars and packed my bag for a day hike. My plan was to find a secluded area to celebrate Halloween night, as there were far more people at the hot springs than I'd anticipated.

After chatting with my neighbor for a while and trying in vain to get photos of the deafening low-flying jets from the nearby naval base, I decided to check out the area. First up were the bathrooms, and Nip's art of the local wildlife, which definitely gave them some character.

I spied a Vanagon in the distance. Either that vehicle's more capable than I give it credit for, or those were some pretty determined drivers!

The main area, where I'd soaked the night before, was shaded by palm trees, and had a very nice lawn planted and maintained by the camp host, Lizard Lee. The contrast between this shady, cool oasis and the unforgiving desert was remarkable.

Naked people were everywhere, which made capturing photos without them a unique challenge. Showering, soaking in the pools, washing dishes in the sink (plumbed with hot and cold running water from the springs!). I don't really mind other people's nudity, and after all, it's expected at hot springs, but the people here took it to another level. I saw quite a bit of nude hiking, bicycling, and one highly memorable gentleman riding a motorcycle wearing nothing but a bathrobe, which seemed to be an ill-advised idea to me. To each their own!

This was the "Sunrise" pool, named for its nice early-morning views:

This is the Crystal pool I enjoyed. Of all the pools, I think it's the nicest, with shade, a perfect temperature, somewhat shielded from the wind, and just plain pretty. It was amazing to think that for everything I saw, somebody had to haul the materials all the way out here.

Of course, there were regulations. I didn't hear any drumming during my stay here, but apparently it's enough of a problem that they had to make a rule about it.

After a while of soaking up the atmosphere, I decided to get on with my search for solitude before the day grew too hot. A sign informed me it would be 3/4 of a mile to Palm Springs, and the route was well-traveled, packed dirt. As I arrived, I discovered why - there were a ton of people camped here too! Camping equipment spilled from oversized trucks and cluttered up the landscape. Damn. I wasn't able to find the "volcano" pool. The Wizard pool looked nice, but with no shade in sight, I wondered why it was so popular.

One more spring to check out, but this one was more of a trek, another 2.5 miles up the road. After Palm Springs, the road turned into a nasty, sandy wash. I was happy I'd decided to check it out on foot instead of taking the bike. Some riders go this way, aiming for Steel Pass and the Eureka Dunes, but some parts were definitely above my skill level, especially fully loaded.

I stopped to take a break. The sun was scorching, and I hunted for shade. There was no vegetation within a mile taller than my waist, but the wash had carved away the surrounding banks a good four feet, so I hid from the sun as best as I could, downed some water, and had a small snack. It was dry. Very dry.

As I continued, I saw a landmark in the distance. Somebody had carved a peace sign into the side of this big red hill.

Just when I thought I would never arrive, I found it! Inside a chain link fence designed to keep out the mules, was the upper springs. These two pools were completely undeveloped, surrounded by reeds and a couple of palm trees. This one had a significant amount of slimy algae, and was fairly cool in temperature.

The pool next to it was much hotter, and was smaller, with room for maybe two people.

I stripped and had a nice soak in the hot water for several hours. I hadn't seen a soul since I left Palm Springs. I felt a bit awkward skinny dipping in broad daylight, but I figured I needed to get used to the idea somehow, and the water was perfect to relax in after my hike.

The return trip was fairly uneventful, other than the fact that I was an idiot who only brought a liter of water, so I was running pretty low. As I passed Palm Springs, a nude old man with huge beard shouted to me that there was going to be a big party there this evening, "even bigger than the one at the lower springs", and gestured to an empty card table they were setting up for the event. After rehydrating myself with some of the water I'd foolishly left in my tent, I wandered to the communal area, where a large number of people had gathered for the potluck party, many of them in costume. This was the most clothing I'd seen since my arrival.

My neighbor introduced me to the others, and we chatted for a bit. One of the women asked me what I thought of all the guys "Donald Ducking it". "What's that?" "Oh, you know, when they wear a t-shirt but no pants, like Donald Duck!". We laughed. There were certainly a lot of guys doing that. I can't imagine getting sunburn would be pleasant...

A group from Maine, calling themselves the "Mainaiacs", had even brought and carved pumpkins!

Also, there was lots of food!

The sun began to set, and I went back to the tent to grab my headlamp. On the way back, I heard what sounded like somebody trying to break down a fence, and decided to check it out. What I found were these troublemakers!

They were absolutely fearless, and they seemed to be trying to get into Lee's camp area. Maybe they were expecting to be fed? The lighter brown female came up to me and I tentatively tried to pet her. She seemed to enjoy it, pushing against me, and then turned around. I know better than to stand behind anything with hooves, so I moved to the side and scratched through her dusty fur. So much for "wild" animals! They sure were cute though. I wanted to pet the baby's gigantic, comically fluffy ears, but every time he'd come close, the others would shoo him away from me.

Back at the party, I ate and shared stories with the others. Everybody I met seemed amazed that I was out here by myself, on a bike. It made me proud of my accomplishment. After it grew dark, I spun poi a bit, which a few people seemed to enjoy. The Mainiacs invited me along as they went back to their camp for more booze. They had apparently packed a van full of liquor, costume pieces, and food. I ended up wearing a Rastafarian wig and getting a bit tipsy.

We went for a walk up to Palm Springs, to see what was going on there. After more alcohol, food and conversation, we soaked in the Wizard spring. All in all, a great way to spend an evening!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote