Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
necessary F800GS Mods

Hi guys,
I am about to buy a F800GS. All stock and pretty borring.
So mods are needed. Would be great to get some info from you.

- exhaust: I would like to have something compact, light, reasonably priced and most of all short (dont like if the pipes stick out too much)

- Heidenau K60 Scout: Where do I get them with a good price tag

- GS-Decals: Where do I get those oversized GS Letters from?

- Headlight Protector: best looking one?

- Tag-Holder: looks ugly, anybody good ideas how to slim that area?

Thanks a lot, Alex
alexisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I would classify none of those as "must haves" and all "nice to haves" with the exception of the tires which is entirely personal preference.

For me, the "essential" mods have been the Brittania Composites fairing/adjustable windscreen and the comfort seat. Additionally engine guards and metal skid plate.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
I would classify none of those as "must haves" and all "nice to haves" with the exception of the tires which is entirely personal preference.

For me, the "essential" mods have been the Brittania Composites fairing/adjustable windscreen and the comfort seat. Additionally engine guards and metal skid plate.

+1

I don't have the comfort seat, but I have an air-hawk pad, which is very comfortable at a cheaper price. Depends on what you want.

Ryan
Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Where are planning to ride? It makes a big difference. My first concern was keeping the bike safe when I drop it. S/W engine bars and bark busters. I got a poly headlight protector, once I found out how much a replacement light cost. Mine is from Hyde racing, but I think Touratech makes a better one. My skid plate is aluminum reinforced poly from Hyde racing. Cheap, tucks closely to the engine and covers more of it, but requires some fabrication. Tall bike, short legs required a different seat. I modified the stock one. Lower, less slope and gets comfortable one you get a lot of miles on it. A laminar lip for the windshield works for me.

Ride more off road? the list gets longer. I widened and lengthened the foot pegs, but I have a cheap welder. The suspension needs work. 3 spring changes and a Bitubo cartridge in the front and still a work in progress. Re sprung the rear, maybe aftermarket later. I have a rear shock brace. I like Indy's kit better. An accelerator module resister and G2 throttle tube to deal with low rpm fueling. Probably one of the better mods I made. A Scott's off road stabilizer. It works well, I like the feel on pavement and has saved me from a couple of dumps in silt.

I have a carbon oval Leo Vince exhaust. I bought it for the lightness of it. I thought it made a performance difference. Sounds good anyway and allows luggage to be tucked in closer.

Frankly, I am not all that concerned with winning best in show. I was looking for performance at the lowest cost I could find. I am happy with it.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
officerleroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
[QUOTE=itsatdm;19013588] An accelerator module resister and G2 throttle tube to deal with low rpm fueling. Probably one of the better mods I made. A Scott's off road stabilizer. It works well, I like the feel on pavement and has saved me from a couple of dumps in silt.
QUOTE]

That'll probably be the best advice you're going to get. Assuming though that off road stuff is what you're after.

And not to get in an OT tire conversation, but I just got some pirelli scorpion rally's for 200 shipped. I'm running the Heidenau's now, but even with the increased wear I'm having a hard time justifying their cost which was around 300 if I remember right. We'll see how the Pirelli's do.

Exhaust is hardly a "needed" mod...

And like others have said, I'd place crash bars pretty high up on the list no matter what type of riding you're wanting to do. A headlight protector is a good idea if you ride in a group (aka, get rocks thrown up). I like the wire kind because it's easy to clean the headlight and doesnt dimish the light when it gets dusty like the pastic ones do.
officerleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I will go a lot offroad. I am surprised to hear that the suspension needs work.
I had 990 back then and was very disappointed with the forks. I bottomed out on every little jump. Will that be the same on the F8 ???
Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisan View Post
I had 990 back then and was very disappointed with the forks. I bottomed out on every little jump. Will that be the same on the F8 ???
Like wet noodles. The shock is much more well off in stock form, but if you get a nice set of forks it too will feel pretty mediocre.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm having the forks re-sprung with Race Tech suspension this weekend.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Like wet noodles...? Common...so bottoming out all the way offroad???
Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Like wet noodles...? Common...so bottoming out all the way offroad???
Mine take quite the dive when I brake @ highway speeds.

Were you actually going to buy the F800GS without a test ride?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cause I am reading only good stuff....now I am cautious....
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,798
Quote:
Sounds like you want a dirt bike. Maybe look at the larger Husky Te bikes. Why spend 16K for a bike that ain't a dirt bike, then dump another several $K on it to make it better, but not right?

Better yet, by the F800 as a stone road turning bike, then buy a cheaper dirt bike for when you want to bash your bike up on the trails.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have got a dr650 and a KTM 450 for the rough stuff. Some of the trails I usually ride I want to take the F8 on too. There is a couple of jumps. Wit the 990 I was constantly bottoming out..I am afraid the 800 will do the same... ??
Old 06-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
I'm having the forks re-sprung with Race Tech suspension this weekend.
Would be great if you can share your experiences. What's the main reason you do it?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,403
i put the hyperpro progressive springs both front and rear. still bottomed out. complete waste of money.

the f800 needs a complete new fork rebuilt up front. ohlins might be the way to go. but it's $$$.

you'll also need new rims. the stock rims fold like a cheap suit at the smallest hint of anything larger than pea gravel.

i'm curious as to your thoughts on the 990 and the bottoming out. was it a newer year? it seems to be a much better setup (on paper). i wrecked my f8 a few weeks ago and so far it isn't totaled (but its close). i'm considering making the leap from the f8 to the 990 because i think it might be better suited to my more aggressive off-road riding (oh if they only still made the 950se this conversation would be academic). it's a costly leap so i'm also considering re-working the suspension and rims (since they need to be replaced anyway). i do like the f8 and its fun to ride, just not aggressively off-road in its stock form.

i already have a 'berg 570 for the really gnarly stuff but i've been known to go out in that same crap with the f8, at a much slower pace. these are much heavier bikes but i can't believe there isn't a suspension out there to properly suspend them so they can take a little bit of abuse and soak it up. i could also just be naive.