Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Very cool. It's a mod I never considered because I thought it was for off-roading or high speed sports bike riding.

Will definitely consider one. Prior to installing my Brittania Composites M2 I found the bike had a lot of high speed wobble due to the wind, but now that I have a windscreen that actually screens the wind (the stock one is bloody useless), it doesn't happen anymore.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #32
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisan View Post
Hi guys,
I am about to buy a F800GS. All stock and pretty borring.
So mods are needed. Would be great to get some info from you.

- exhaust: I would like to have something compact, light, reasonably priced and most of all short (dont like if the pipes stick out too much)

- Heidenau K60 Scout: Where do I get them with a good price tag

- GS-Decals: Where do I get those oversized GS Letters from?

- Headlight Protector: best looking one?

- Tag-Holder: looks ugly, anybody good ideas how to slim that area?

Thanks a lot, Alex
Postpone those pending suspension upgrade, and add crash bars and bash plate if you're as reckless as I am when having fun. Beware of hype on the tires unless pavement traction is not an issue.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #33
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
you'll also need new rims. the stock rims fold like a cheap suit at the smallest hint of anything larger than pea gravel.
This is a bit of hyperbole, I think. I can be critical of the many things wrong with the F800GS, but I just don't see this as one of them. Are the stock rims weaker than a set of hand-built Excels/SRs from Woody? Hell yeah they are, but so are a lot of other wheels. People have certainly dented the stockers, but they were still rideable (i.e., it wasn't as though the rim completely taco'd).

It is my personal opinion that if you have a decent amount of pressure in the tires (25+ psi for me) and don't ride it like it's a 450 you'll be pretty much fine on the stock rims. If you're going RTW and have money to burn, maybe then add some bling to your rollers.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #34
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

People should also specify what they're using the bike for. Hell I could see myself putting street-only tires on it and never off-roading but the stock Pirellis seem great street tires and nobody fell when we did a gravel road with virtually no off-roading experience.

I'd rather not make my street riding worse at the expense of occasional off-roading.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #35
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Ok, i am out. That's a shame for BMW!!

- low grade suspension-
- bolts that break
- soft rims

No way. That's prob worse then an unreliable 990! I am disappointed!

alexisan screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 06:37 PM
alexisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #36
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,239
The suspension is not low grade. It's just not quite good enough for many of us.
Bolts don't have brakes. Which bolts broke?
The rims aren't soft. Aftermarket offers harder rims.

Jeez.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #37
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
The suspension is not low grade. It's just not quite good enough for many of us.
Bolts don't have brakes.
The rims aren't soft. Just that aftermarket offers harder rims.

Jeez.

Fred
What he said.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #38
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Ok, i am out. That's a shame for BMW!!

- low grade suspension-
- bolts that break
- soft rims

No way. That's prob worse then an unreliable 990! I am disappointed!
If you ever find any adventure / dirt bike that is perfect in its stock form, be sure to let us know. The stock F800GS is an amazing bike in many ways. What's more, it has the potential to be made even better and tailored to an individual's specific needs. But no bike can compare to the entire market combined. I think you are misreading the information presented here. I don't really hear people saying they dislike the bike, they are just responding to the original question about mods. And yes, lots of us like to modify our bikes. Best of luck in your search.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #39
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I agree with Snowy on the potential of the F800gs, but it needs mods to get into the KTM class and it will cost you near the same by the time you are done.
To be fair, I think the BMW even with the extra spent on it is still probably...arguably (a dangerous term here) a better bike than the KTM.

If they brought out a version, like the 1200GS-A model, that had the really flash suspension options already fitted, say like the Nuda has, it would still price it under the KTM.

For an all rounder it would be arguably better than the KTM.

Yes, the KTM can be modified to get full suspension travel instead of the "dual sport" version. But in new purchase terms, it's still more expensive, and then added cost again before you have a significant gain.

It's a complicated argument.

Without having 2 modified bikes to run back to back to get a feel for it all, it is all speculation and conjecture I suppose.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #40
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

well..I had the 990...and sold it again for various reasons...the way it is put together doesn't justify the money..

but at least the Rims were good and you don't bent shock bolts..

I have got an offer for 9300 USD for a 2010 F8 with under 3000 miles. That's not too bad.
But now I am looking at:

- 1800 for a set of woody wheels
- 800 -> 1000 for a rear shock (Wilbers, Ohlins)
- and another ??? for a rebuilding the forks?

that can not be, right?

I understand the point that there is no 100% ready adventure bike out there. They all need work...but SUSPENSION AND WHEELS?? Please....???
Old 06-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #41
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
well..I had the 990...and sold it again for various reasons...the way it is put together doesn't justify the money..

but at least the Rims were good and you don't bent shock bolts..

I have got an offer for 9300 USD for a 2010 F8 with under 3000 miles. That's not too bad.
But now I am looking at:

- 1800 for a set of woody wheels
- 800 -> 1000 for a rear shock (Wilbers, Ohlins)
- and another ??? for a rebuilding the forks?

that can not be, right?

I understand the point that there is no 100% ready adventure bike out there. They all need work...but SUSPENSION AND WHEELS?? Please....???

You're a bit high on the shock, I was told about $500 for a wilburs

Wheels ..........an aweful lot of people keep their pressure up and don't have problems

Forks, I'm probably going to do the Traxxion kit (about $1200)

and you left off the $$$$ for crash bars, skid plate, barkbusters, etc
Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #42
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Yeah, I run far higher pressures than most people on here seem to like, and it really isn't a huge problem,

The rims seem to be very soft, but I'm not sure this isn't just a case of the width. They are wider than the widest after market rims I can get. As such, they will buckle easier. Plus, it makes the tyres have a squarer sidewall profile, and someone on here surmised that this possibly causes problems because the impact is delivered to the outside edge of the rim without the force being dissipated by the tyre.

I compared them to the Excel rims in a most unfavourable way, but to be honest, they are no worse than the standard rims on a lot of the "dual sports" bikes. The Excels are definitely a better quality rim.

I remember looking at my cousins KTM rims and I don't feel so bad about mine any more.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #43
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
I am pretty sure that the F800GS rims are the same as the KTM 950/990 ones, both made by Behr and both too wide and too soft for hard off roading.

What makes it worse is the stock suspension, when you don't have enough resistance in the last part of the stroke it will bottom out and the rims are the next thing that will give.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #44
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, then let's take the rims out of the game for now.

What forks conversion brings the best results for the money and how much needs to be invested?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #45
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
The reason some of us are so harsh in our analysis is because, we see the potential that this bike has and simple changes that BMW could have made to make it better.

BMW's issue is price compaction with the flat twins, so they did what they did to cut cost and not steal sales from themselves.

Suspension is the big issue. No manufacture fits the bike with springs to fit every rider. BMW crimped the cartridge tube. Neither the front or rear is rebuildable, nor can it be modified beyond a spring change.

I don't know which of the aftermarket replacements are best. The main point is a tuner could revalve/respring any of them to meet your specifications.

On the cheap, you could find a cartridge from an existing bike and do a transplant. Length and travel are the main qualifications. It requires some machine work on the bottom of the fork to accommodate the compression valve. The diameter of the cartridge is pretty standardised so most will fit. It is not the mystery some would believe.

The bent shock bolt is blown all out of proportion. When the thread was at 84 pages, I counted 8 with bent bolts, the rest was discussion, how this could happen? Think it will bend, buy a brace. I do think the aftermarket shocks make it weaker without one. Thousands of buyers have no problem because they ride it like BMW intended. You have to bottom it to bend it.

What are your choices? Last I checked the KTM is $4,000 more. You can do a lot of mods with that. This bike has the potential to be just as good.

Triumph riders love their bikes. It goes where most riders are likely to take a 500lb bike. Sounds like we are talking about a different level. See how a bike with street geometry and a triple engine works in that environment. Not a lot you can do to change that.

Most riders who want to turn it into a dirt bike, should have some comprehension of what it takes to do that.

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 11:25 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote