User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
DerViking OP
Shred

Oddometer: 300
Gas Gas Transmission Issues

Hey all. At the Ute Cup on my GG300 2007 I got balled up in a section, and hit the shifter on a rock. Best read is from Stan, and that I bent the shifter forks. It has way more range than it should, and double shifts. Requires hand working to get in gear. Finished the cup, and now I need to fix it.

So how do you get the clutch off? What the hell kind of 10 pt star is that? Where do I get a wrench for that? My understanding is I need to take the clutch plates off to see into the side of the transmission.

Any advice? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
bent forks

On that year that means split the cases time to do it right.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Possible forks but..........

If you luck out the weld on the shift shaft either broke loose or rotated from a crappy weld..
If you dont know how to do your clutch, you would be able to splitthe cases...
If you do need help, I do these all the time, JUst Gas GAs parts like all Trials parts get pricey
Good Luck, let me know if you need them split............
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
If you are lucky it is just the top hat at the end of the shift shaft. Just remove the clutch, use a zip tie to keep the spring together. It is the piece the spring sits on. You have to look at it closely to see that it has broke. Other wise it`s time to split the cases. Chances are you broke one of the rollers on the shift shaft. Very seldom is it a shift fork.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
machalooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post

So how do you get the clutch off? What the hell kind of 10 pt star is that? Where do I get a wrench for that? My understanding is I need to take the clutch plates off to see into the side of the transmission.

Any advice? Thanks.
Most any auto parts store will sell the 7mm ten point socket you need. As everyone has mentioned before, sounds like you're going to have to split the case and inspect the shift shaft.
machalooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
+1 on the shifter top hat. I hit my 2002 shifter on a stump and it was pointed straight up. Shifted like you mentioned. Would rotate and sometimes catch a gear. Simple fix and under $30 for the part I think. You need to take it right off though. I thought the worst but when I took it off to examine it, it had cracked as designed and saved the innards. Its underneath the clutch, don't think you need to touch the clutch basket.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post
Hey all. At the Ute Cup on my GG300 2007 I got balled up in a section, and hit the shifter on a rock. Best read is from Stan, and that I bent the shifter forks. It has way more range than it should, and double shifts. Requires hand working to get in gear. Finished the cup, and now I need to fix it.

Any advice? Thanks.
Goto Gasgas.com, tech section, he has all the chapters from the DVD that was shipped with the USA imported gasgas trials bikes, online at youtube.

I cannot recall the size of that little bolt you are looking at, but when I got my 2008 (or was it the 2010) Importer (Malasek) recommended removing said bolt and the washer that it is going through, which can be done once you get the clutch basket out. Do check if you dont know what I mean, dont just remove-leave out the bolt.

But if previous owner has done this, might be why you have trouble removing it, on mine they are not the Star, mine are ALLEN bolts, same size at the seat/airbox if I recall right.

the clutch should pull off semi easy, might have to prya little, but be damn carefull what you pry on, as you dont want to pry on case mating surface areas, this makes it hard for the gasket to seal if you nick that up! (see movie about the clutch and how to mess with it, might be more than 1 part, 1removal-2specs-2adjustments, I cannot recall right now.

In the 06 and newer, there is a 'fuse' (many call it the top hat) that has a tiny little bit of metal that is supposed to break, releiving forces to gearbox. it has proven to not always break though. Most of the time you end up with 1 or 2 problems, bent/broke drum roller. your shifter pushes on a pair of arms that rotate a drum, which in turn moves the shifting forks. I say this since you say it shifts more than one gear. I guess some have had bent forks, I have NOT had bent shifting forks happen to me yet (someone knock on wood with me please). But I have had the broken roller on the drum mover...

if it wouldnt shift, I think the top hat/fuse did its job, and that means the shaft no longer can move the shifter parts that then move the drum.

the video is pretty good. worst part is (IMHO) gettin the engine out of the bike if you have to split cases, actually splitting isnt that bad of a job, but it is DETAIL ORIENTATED, so it might be best to get help, or study the video really hard, take lots of digital images as you take apart.

to get the engine out of the frame, you need a flywheel puller, you can remove the windings behind flywheel easier than dicking with the bunch of wires under the tank. remove that plate tape it to the bike to preserve the wires (dont let it hang by the wires when you dont have to!)
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
DerViking OP
Shred

Oddometer: 300
Thanks for all the responses, looks like ill be doing some shopping, and some computer time.....

Hey Graydog.
That Beta available next weekend?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 590
You'll like the Beta.

You should see if Joe wants to do this, and if not, hand it to Mike....

I never looked at the CDs that came with my GG. Suppose that's what these guys are referring to ?
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post
You'll like the Beta.

You should see if Joe wants to do this, and if not, hand it to Mike....

I never looked at the CDs that came with my GG. Suppose that's what these guys are referring to ?
Yeppers, it is technically (if it is the one Im thinking of, Dale Malasek narrates some, then Jim snell from rising sun, does demonstrations of maintenance items and several "good to know" things, like how to remove dang near everything that is specific to gasgas. the chapters are on youtube now, find some links to them in the tech section at gasgas.com website.

Edit: damnit I know I read somewhere that snell announced that he redid a bunch of links for the videos, I dont see them now.
-= SO =-
Go here, http://www.youtube.com/user/GASGASinfo
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
ThrottleJock
Shaved Ape

Oddometer: 60
Exact same thing happened to me at my last event, pinned my foot between the lever and a stump and all of a sudden the shifter is all wonky, it'll still find a gear sometimes but won't center back to the starting position. This forum's great, it looks like I'm in for a little gasgas surgery as well.

Anybody have a part number for that tophat? And where to buy?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
SHIFT SHAFT CENTER LOCATOR AND SPRING MT280238037CT

May want a spare circlip just in case as well.
5 CIRCLIP E10 EJE / E10 SHAFT CIRCLIP M03314011

Parts manual here: (see diagram Motor#3)
http://www.trialspartsusa.com/manual...t_pro_2010.pdf

I know Stu at jackscycles has the top hat part in stock.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Curiosity is killing me. So Lazer are you Jack H.`s son?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Yup. Im his son Trebor. He sold the Jackscycles business last year due to some health issues to his good friend and trials guru Stu Preston. I take it you know dad?
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Rode many a national. Best conversation was lunch while he was passing through town. We got together with Jack Atkins (his mx mentor) and had an afternoon of old stories. Tell him Bob Rowland was asking how he was!