User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
kawzak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
New Ural redoing PDI and timing adjust

I just bought a new Ural patrol. I wanted to go over all th items on the PDI my self. found. valve adjustment incorrect ( if done at all). lots of loose items, idle too low, etc. My question is-with a timing light at idle it shows the timing flash between the BTDC and TDC marks. I would thing it should be on the mark with the BTDC. I marked the housing before rotating, but unable to get the BTDC in the middle.Whats up? or is this correct @ 2 deg. BTDC ?.
kawzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawzak View Post
I just bought a new Ural patrol. I wanted to go over all th items on the PDI my self. found. valve adjustment incorrect ( if done at all). lots of loose items, idle too low, etc. My question is-with a timing light at idle it shows the timing flash between the BTDC and TDC marks. I would thing it should be on the mark with the BTDC. I marked the housing before rotating, but unable to get the BTDC in the middle.Whats up? or is this correct @ 2 deg. BTDC ?.
Are you doing it at the right engine speed?

Used to be you couldn't trust the marks, and you'd paint some on yourself. With a new rig, I'd hope that's not the case. It's possible with everything else you've found that the timing plate is loose as well or has been incorrectly adjusted.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
kawzak OP
Adventurer

this is a new ural with the Ducati Ignition. When you say timing plate, are you refering to the distributer ahead of the alternator? It is adjustable about 1/4' back/forth, but doesn't look like it chances the timing flash at marks (much if any). I scribed a line before rotating it any either way (loosen nuts rotate, lock down, check with timing light). I cannot get the BTDC arrow w/dot to line up with mark/line on block. It was set that light would flash at/between the arrows(right in the middle of them.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Quote:
this is a new ural with the Ducati Ignition. When you say timing plate, are you refering to the distributer ahead of the alternator? It is adjustable about 1/4' back/forth, but doesn't look like it chances the timing flash at marks (much if any). I scribed a line before rotating it any either way (loosen nuts rotate, lock down, check with timing light). I cannot get the BTDC arrow w/dot to line up with mark/line on block. It was set that light would flash at/between the arrows(right in the middle of them.
*scratching head* unless things have changed drastically, the timing plate is under the timing gear cover in the front. Rotating it SHOULD change the marks. If it doesn't, I'd guess your Hall effect sensor is not picking up the pulse from the rotor.

I don't know the new ignitions, but I can't imagine how the advance would work any differently.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
kawzak OP
Adventurer

Well dumb me, I think I am adjusting the alternator gear mesh adjustment. Good thing I scribed lines there. I thought this was the timing plate/distributer between the alternator and the motor housing. OK so the ignition plate is UNDER the cover at the front of the engine-at the top I assume. I was thinking the front cover came off with the oil filter housing-I did not look that close at it.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,107
Quote:
Howdy kawzak,

It sounds to me like your screwing around with the ALTERNATOR and its adjustment. A small piece of advise and I am NOT messing with you, if you don't know what your doing, do your self a real big favor and DON'T start changing things on a BRAND NEW RIG. Your just going to phuck something up and then you'll be back here bokading about how Urals are a bad.

Seriously, join "Soviet Steeds" your going to get a lot more information there then you will here and you'll get it from folks who own and work on the rigs not folks who only bitch about them. If you don't know the alternator adjustment from how to set ignition timing are you SURE the valve lash was incorrect?

Like I said if you don't know what your doing the chances of doing damage to the rig is quite high. As you have messed with the alternator adjustment there is a good chance you have now screwed up the gear lash between the timing gears. WHY are you doing these things on a brand new rig to begin with, the way your going I sure hope you don't start messing with carb adjustments, I am seriously NOT trying to give you a hard time, I AM trying to save you a lot of MONEY and down time if you phuck something up

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

No joke. Fourteen years ago, I thought my first Ural wasn't running right, and I went on a campaign of "adjusting" things until it wouldn't start at all
Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,107
Howdy All,

I know it seems like I am giving the OP a hard time, its just that in the 6 years I have been involved with Ural's I can honestly say that at least 50 % of the problems people complain about are OWNER INDUCED.

I f you don't know what your doing, if your not working under the guidance of someone who does, if you don't have a manual and finding a GOOD Ural manual is nearly impossible, if your not familiar with how a good running Ural sounds, smells and operates, "in my opinion" your just asking for trouble messing around with it.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,061
It really sounds like you should get a better idea of how to do things before you continue.

Check out these Youtube videos, they are a little outdated like the wheel bearing adjustment and air filter service, but will get you going in the right direction.
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...php?f=5&t=8571

Whats your location, maybe there is someone local to help show you the ropes. Who was your dealer?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
I f you don't know what your doing, if your not working under the guidance of someone who does, if you don't have a manual and finding a GOOD Ural manual is nearly impossible, if your not familiar with how a good running Ural sounds, smells and operates, "in my opinion" your just asking for trouble messing around with it.
I totally agree. I've been working on motorcycles of all kinds for fifteen years now, and I still get perplexed by my lawnmower. Not because it's more complicated -- it's a simple BS four-stroke from a defunct manufacturer. Just because it's different enough from what I'm used to.

Fortunately, there's no shortage of Ural maintenance guides online.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Spend more time driving, less time tinkering.

If it runs, run it, and enjoy.

And develop a relationship with your dealer.

PS. be very careful. The first time I tried a valve adjustment, I went by the torque specs in the manual. Turns out they are wrong and far too high. Once I asked my dealer and spent time in the forum such as Russian Iron and Soviet Steeds, I had the real information needed.

Go for a ride.

Quote:

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #12
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy kawzak,

It sounds to me like your screwing around with the ALTERNATOR and its adjustment. A small piece of advise and I am NOT messing with you, if you don't know what your doing, do your self a real big favor and DON'T start changing things on a BRAND NEW RIG. Your just going to phuck something up and then you'll be back here bokading about how Urals are a bad.

www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #13
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
"Your just going to phuck something up and then you'll be back here bokading about how Urals are a bad."

Best line ever since I started hanging out here!
davide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #14
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
"... if your not familiar with how a good running Ural sounds, smells and operates, "in my opinion" your just asking for trouble messing around with it."

Excellent description/advice: I had a few aircooled VW buses back in the days and always trusted my senses to help me understand/tune the beast. Amazing what smelling/touching around the engine can tell you...
davide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
kawzak OP
Adventurer

OK, I have taken my whippin. I could of just wait for the manual, would have been easier-But I was asking advice ( and I would still pick through that) because the manual is still 3-4 days away-and my wife and I want ride this weekend some. I am not about to screw something up (may have come close with the alternator), and don;t just tinker for the hell of it. I have overhauled hundreds of motors over the last 40 or so years. Even though I may have come across as ignorant I figured asking would get me some answers instead of a bashing. So far I have retorqed the heads, set the valves, set the timing, synced the carbs, greased/oiled where needed. It runs much better now, timing was off and carbs were very far. dealer did a pencil PDI, and I expected as much.For those who tried to help I appreciate it.