User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
Multistrada 1100s questions

Went and looked at a Multistrada 1100s today and wanted to know if these present problems/issues?
1. Bike was down - paint was redone and owner replaced the mirror. There is ABSOLUTELY no visible damage and the repair was done professionally by a shop. It was a zero mph tip over. Anything specific I should look for or be concerned about?
2. Gas tank recall. I can't imagine any problems getting this sorted, but wanted to know if folks had issues? The owner started to do it, then got sick and never finished the process.
3. What is the interval and cost to replace the timing belt. Owner said he thought it needs to be replaced at 7,500 miles/2 years. Is this right? The bike hasn't hit the miles, but it is past the two year point. Would the timing belt need to be replaced? Any estimates on what that might cost?
4. How often are the major service intervals and what is involved? Is most of it something I can do myself? Or, am I going to need a dealer to do it?
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Nota bene: it looks like the timing belts need to be replaced every two years?
http://www.incredirides.com/schedule...trada1100s.pdf
Old 03-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,328
Or every 7,500 mi I believe....a relatively expensivene service , $600-$900 for the 7,500 one, a bit more for the 15,000 service. You can do some of the items yourself (oil/filter, etc) but the belts can be involving. Those services also include valve adjustments and some other items.

Get the tank replaced and then have it Caswell coated by a professional installer.

Regards,
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
BigBoPeep
The Bad Stenographer

Oddometer: 97
Before you do anything, head over to multistrada.net and read and read and read.

I have an 04 1000 that I bought in June 2011 when it had 10k mi on it. The Multi has been my dream bike since it was first unveiled, and performance-wise, it has mostly lived up to my expectations. However, it has its flaws (not all flaws will apply to the 1100).

My first year with it was fantastic. Was able to do a long trip with it to Asheville NC and it is really suited for the roads along the Blue Ridge (screw the tail of the dragon; ANY road you take down there is sublime!). It is surprisingly comfortable for how compact and agile it is.

My problems started last June when one day out of the blue it just would not start. Crank crank crank. I trucked it to the dealer and i did not get the bike back for good for 2 months. It would start and run fine, and then next time nothing. In the end, the dealer finally tracked a wire that had come loose inside the fuel pump flange. The diagnosis was that ethanol had finally weakened the epoxy that seals the wires inside the flange, which is mounted on the bottom of the tank. The flange assembly from Ducati is $1000. (!) I just picked one up from eBay for $300.

Ethanol is also the root of the gas tank problem. The tank is made of a type of nylon that apparently absorbs the moisture that is present with ethanol. This causes the tank to expand. Mine started leaking about 6 weeks ago, at the fuel flange. It is not a recall, but Ducati is replacing tanks in a goodwill gesture... With the same nylon tanks. If you type "CA-Cycleworks tank"into multistrada.net, you'll find info on that company's project to make a replacement tank out of a different material. They're pretty reputable, and I'm confident they'll be successful with it.

So, my bike is in the shop getting a new tank. It is also having faulty valve guides replaced, which was a known issue for bikes up to 2004, I believe. Pretty sure this does not apply to the 1100. Bear in mind that my bike is almost 10 years old and it did quite a bit of sitting before I bought it.

I knew all of these potential problems going in, but I decided to gamble. At this point, I'm not sure it was worth it. It's a running joke amongst my friends, but it's not a very funny joke. For the money I have into it at this point, I could almost have paid cash for a new Tiger. Having said that, I rode the new Tiger XC, and while I know I could live very happily with that bike, it just does not have what the Ducati has. The Multi is really a fantastic moto. Other than the purely decorative mirrors and rear brake.

Wow, reading back over this post it really looks like Im trying to dissuade you. I'm not. Still love the damned thing. Just wanted to share my cautionary tale so you are informed. Where are you in PA? I'm in State College, and the roads here are fantastic no matter what bike you're on.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
Went and looked at a Multistrada 1100s today and wanted to know if these present problems/issues?
1. Bike was down - paint was redone and owner replaced the mirror. There is ABSOLUTELY no visible damage and the repair was done professionally by a shop. It was a zero mph tip over. Anything specific I should look for or be concerned about?
2. Gas tank recall. I can't imagine any problems getting this sorted, but wanted to know if folks had issues? The owner started to do it, then got sick and never finished the process.
3. What is the interval and cost to replace the timing belt. Owner said he thought it needs to be replaced at 7,500 miles/2 years. Is this right? The bike hasn't hit the miles, but it is past the two year point. Would the timing belt need to be replaced? Any estimates on what that might cost?
4. How often are the major service intervals and what is involved? Is most of it something I can do myself? Or, am I going to need a dealer to do it?
I have and 2006 1000S, 37k miles. Owned since new. Been super reliable.

I do essentially all of the work on the bike. I did pay to have the forks and shock rebuilt.

Belts are easy. Check at 7500, replace at 15000. Belts are $85 (for two) from CA-Cycleworks.

Valve check, oil, air filter, belt check/replace every 7500. Valve check requires removing the tank.

Find an Indy shop if you don't plan on doing the work yourself.

As noted, check out multistrada.net. And buy LT Snyder's maintenance book.
BryanCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Thanks, all. Is there an advantage to Indy shops doing the work. I've read they are reluctant to work on Ducs, but have no personal experience one way or another.

BBP - I am thinking that an '08 will have some of the problems you experienced sorted out. I've also seen an additive that takes the moisture out of the ethanol (allegedly).

I found the information at multistrada.net really helpful, as is also the case with here. You are awesome - thanks!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
BryanCO
CO Rider

Find a local shop that specializes in Ducati or do the work yourself. It's rewarding -- at least for me.

I just replaced my tank. Wasn't bad but did meet the criteria and Ducati paid for it. I'm selling the bike but if I wasn't, I would have the tank coated - unless you are going to own the bike for a relatively short time.

Have fun shopping!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Not sure about Caswell. I have heard mixed reports, including some that say when the tank expands the epoxy can crack and drop into the tank. Urban legend or true story, bro? I'm not really sure.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

That having been said, why they can make a proper metal tank for a $15,000 bike is completely beyond me.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
BryanCO
CO Rider

Quote:
That having been said, why they can make a proper metal tank for a $15,000 bike is completely beyond me.
Not sure metal is 'better'. Of course, it is in this case.

And, have you seen the Multi tank?

Coating - haven't heard of issues.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Caswell absolutely works but it's only as good as the individual installing it.

Send it to T. Markus Designs, thank me later.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Caswell absolutely works but it's only as good as the individual installing it.

Send it to T. Markus Designs, thank me later.
I've sen his name and JC Pak as reputable appliers.
What did that run you, out of curiosity?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
I've sen his name and JC Pak as reputable appliers.
What did that run you, out of curiosity?
I know them both, beyond reputable....I think Tony has basically stopped painting (master) and is focusing entirely on the coating business. In all honesty, I don't remember what I paid to have my SF tank done.