Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Searching for a KLR replacement, similar but not the same, options?

Hi guys, well I have decided that I want to change my klr for something better within the next 6 months (faster if it sells). I know more or less what I want, but I am hoping you can help me explorer other options.
A natural replacement would be a vstrom 650/versys 650.. BUT I now I am also considering sportier, sexier bikes, fz1/6, ninja 650/1000 and the Cb1100. As you can see, this is a change from the touring double purpose side of the equation to a more, faster pace. To be honest I do not need the 0-60 in under 3 sec. stuff, and I just love my 50+mpg.

I am asking if I will be missing my klr by going to this other stuff? My main concerns are speed bumps, pot holes and ground clearance. I ride everyday so this is a concern. Also I am used to having a top case and I need that, the ability to carry stuff.

So, besides this models, is there any other models I should be looking at? I would love a new SV but they are not made.

Thanks
Damasovi
EDIT:
Here are some guidelines of what is important to me
$10K tops ($1K+-)
not as top heavy as the KLR
150 mile range (minimum)
luggage capable.
I don't care if it is naked or cover, I only know DP bikes, never had any other type (except for the scooter).

damasovi screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 10:10 PM
damasovi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
A lot of riders have gone down the same path.

"Most" street bikes/sport bikes don't give the cushy ride on crappy roads like an ADV bike so be forewarned. Some street bikes can be tuned a bit softer while others just seem to beat you up no matter what you do.

Luggage friendly is another aspect of a daily ride that some bike are better at than others.

Some of the mid-size naked bikes coming out might interest you depending on your preference for ergos. For the daily ride it's kinda hard to beat a Vstrom 650 overall. The Versys is a little more fun in the city, a bit buzzier, and not quite as comfy for the open road. The Ninja 650 is pretty comfy for a sport bike but not as luggage friendly and probably won't suck up pot holes as well as the Versys. But it's sexier for sure. The older SV650 was a favorite for city riding and the Gladius is the current offering from Suzuki that replaces the SV, sorta.....

A Triumph Street Triple R is a whole lotta fun, and pretty fun in the city. It's not ideal for a top box but..... one can probably fit. I friggen love this bike and have spent enough seat time on one to almost wish I hadn't...... very addicting and amazingly capable.

The new Yamaha FZ bikes, -09 or -07, pick your budget and speed requirements are bargains for sure and not to be scoffed at. That -09 will light your hair on fire. It opened my eyes up wide.

You didn't mention much about budget. That will start to narrow it down.

After that, bodywork, or naked?
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,765
Tiger 800
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
There are so many good bikes available that it can be tough to choose. For your purposes, it would be hard to beat the newer v strom 650. It can handle rough roads, is extremely reliable, and is surprisingly sporty. It will feel like a huge upgrade performance wise from the KLR. If you want a more significant performance change, the 2014 v strom 1000 would be a great choice but is out of your price range until some show up on the used market. Any of the bikes you mentioned would be a good choice, however.
de Vaca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Tiger 800
this would be nice, but price and weight are just too much, I think that as a hwy bike and for eating the miles from here to Alaska and back it is perfect! but only a used and abuse one will do. I will just keep saving !

thank you

Damasovi
Old 08-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,164
Got room for 2 bikes? Just askin'.....
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
So, besides this models, is there any other models I should be looking at? I would love a new SV but they are not made.
$10K tops ($1K+-)
150 mile range (minimum)
luggage capable.
You don't like the SFV? Updated engine from the SV.

I have two of the bikes on your list, the 2nd gen Versys and the 1st gen FZ1. Both can go 240 miles when ridden gently. The FZ can do a bit more. Or a lot less. Depending how you ride. The 2nd gen FZ1 on the other hand may not have the range you desire.

Either is fast compared to your KLR. The FZ is much faster than the Versys--more than double the power. I've done some cheap suspension upgrades to the Versys, and it gives a plusher ride than the FZ.

Of those two I'd pick the Versys for you. But if you like the SV, maybe you'd prefer the SFV to the Versys. Or a used SV?
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:10 AM   #8
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 547
Keep it within the Kawasaki Family. The ZX9 is a nice tourer. It can go a lot of places my friend and still spank the curves. Single track however is a little difficult Everything else is no biggie
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #9
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
$10K tops ($1K+-)
150 mile range (minimum)
luggage capable.
As mentioned above, many choices fulfill your criteria.

Ordinarily riding a KLR650, I just returned from a 2000-mile ride of the southern Appalachians on a loaned Versys. That bike, in my opinion, fulfills your requirements admirably.

Made me wish for a Versys engine and drivetrain in my KLR!

Why? Gobs of additional power, forgiving torque of a 180-degree firing twin, crisp response of fuel injection throttle, road manners beyond the KLR's scope, SIXTH gear . . . I could go on!

Luggage capable? Carried a week's clothing and gear in a pair of SW Moto panniers and a Wolfman tank bag; didn't need the extra capacity of a top case.

That said, no--I'm not jettisoning my KLR! I need and appreciate the KLR's versatility, but--for a just-about-all-the-time road bike, the Versys has its moments, in my experience.

Again, one of many adequate choices available; here's hoping you find the bike you really like for your application.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:09 AM   #10
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,926
Keep the KLR and look for a Yamaha 07. Under 400 pounds wet, 75 HP over 60 MPG, what's not to like? It feels small, I could flat foot it and I have somewhat short legs. I've only thrown a leg over, not ridden one. I don't dare, I just bought a V7 and I'm afraid I'll fall out of love with it.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #11
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
If you can find one, consider an FZ8. Last year was the last model year and dealers are practically giving them away to clear space for the FZ-07.

Selling my CBR
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
I've been in that same spot. I miss 2 things about having a KLR.

#1 - the ability to do dirt when I wanted to, not that I ever did. But let me tell you, if you are like me, not having the ability makes you want it, even if you didn't use it when you had it.

#2 - the riding position. Even though my little Ninja is more of a relaxed sport touring position and not a sport position, I still miss the fully upright ergo's in a bad way.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #13
rich tintera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
Got room for 2 bikes? Just askin'.....
That's me- I had my KLR for years, then got a hankering for a road bike and got a VFR. Best of both worlds.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

hey people! that is great advice!.

I have always had two bikes, the KLR has been with me for almost 9 years and that time I had have smaller bikers (DP and a scooter) to complement my commute (3 miles each way) and city crawling. Since I do not live in the US 90 mph for interstate travel is a thing I only read.

I discounted the the vstrom since I no longer have a wife and no need for long 2 up riding, but maybe that could change. I do not do much dirt but I am sure I will miss it if I do not have a KLR, so a Versys or Vstrom are ideal, single track? No need, just 2 track roads...

The fz9 is ugly (to me) and it lacks in the looks, maybe in a year or two they will get ride of the ugly purple colors they now come with. But I am sure the motor is a good. The fz8 is nice, if I could find one, when I look.

THe plan is to research, save and by the end of the year evaluate my options and decide, I would like new, but if something good came I will not be afraid to go go per-owned.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #15
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Oddometer: 171
NC700X, CB500x....well within your price rage new or used. I too am looking for a KLR replacement, and these are on the short list until Yam or Honda make a 21st century ~650 dual sport. The CB1100 is a very sexy bike though. Just doesn't strike the practicality nerve that my wallet requires for purchase.
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
roaming_art is offline   Reply With Quote