Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #136
1K GS
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I guess I'm one of the "Old Farts" that enjoys riding Sport Touring Bikes. I like the Comfort, Wind Protection and Luggage capacity for longer road trips. I owned a Goldwing and it just was Not my style. I now own a BMW K1600GT. This bike is the best of both worlds. It carries Luggage and Hauls Ass.....Maybe the reason the sport touring bikes are not seen frequently is because their owners are out riding them in the twisties and backroads. Not hanging out at the bars or coffee shops.
1K GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #137
RobH
Don't tase me bro

Oddometer: 5,290
What did you do to the FZ1 to make it sport touring worthy. I'm assuming bigger screen, bar risers, seat. Can you elaborate on your mods?

Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84blue View Post
Here is my sport tourer. I just put on 3600 miles visiting both the gulf coast and the east coast.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #138
ssason
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Ok, here are my 2 cents.... after starting my "career" with PC35 '01 i changed to a VFR 800 ABS '06 (my CBR has been stolen in May 2011)

And here are the reasons for my choice ;-)

1. no in Line 4 Cylinder...
2. ABS
3. sporty
4. a bit more touring than the PC35

After beeing in mourning about my stolen CBR (owned her from 2003 on) i started to sort out possible bikes... the list was short, realy short...

BMW R1100S (the R1200S failed because of her price)
Honda VFR 800
Aprilia Futura, but this one is very rare....

So i went on to get some testrides... my first was with the beamer... and i can say, nope, thats not what i want... in my opinion you need to be born to ride a B2 engine.... the overturning torqure (i hope it´s the right word for what i mean..) in case of load change made me feel "uncomfortable"...

So after riding the VFR my decision was clear...

Since then i rode about 3000km this season and i can say, i was absolutly right... It´s exactly that compromiss i wanted. The seat is comfortable enough to take long runs, the engine is gorgeous, the supsension is also able to support a fast ride.
But, i can also say, that there IS one thing, that i need to criticize... and that´s the weight... 250kg, that means nearly 50kg more than the CBR and man, you can feal that during ride... especialy while trying to follow a SV650N, and a ZX6R in very winding rode... But hey, that means i litle more action on the bike and that´s it... And, let´s see the SV650N going 200km/h on the autobahn way back home

So, i´m realy a "SportsTourer" fan and my girlfriend also. Right now her ride is a Bandit 600 from 2001, but as soon as possible the bandit will be changed into a Sprint ST 1050 ;-)

www.arcor-kompass-trophy.de
ssason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #139
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
What pains me is when I actually do see sport touring bikes in the wild, they're ridden by grey hairs in loafers.

ST1300s seem especially prone to this.

The only K16 sightings I've made in the wild are a local guy on a white GT who wears a skullcap that couldn't possibly be DOT, and T shirts and shorts or jeans, and just yesterday a silver GTL in NH ridden by a geezer, without a helmet, in a tank top. I could see the white hair of his shoulders as he passed, without returning my wave.

What kind of fucker buys one of the worlds highest performance motorcycles then wears a tank top on it? A stupid fucker. Kids do it on gixxers, grandpas do it on big STs.
That doesn't jive with my own experience. Most of the sport touring riders I see - including the ST1300 - are wearing ATGATT. It's one of the things I like about sport tourers; they seem to be a bit more 'professional' than some of the clowns I see on other styles of bikes.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #140
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
I had a GS.

I got tired of that clanky tractor engine.

It was the Hitler video I think..
That'll do it every time.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #141
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Oh, hell...

...that was worth another viewing. Still cracks me up!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #142
Jay S.
600cc Beast

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
That doesn't jive with my own experience. Most of the sport touring riders I see - including the ST1300 - are wearing ATGATT. It's one of the things I like about sport tourers; they seem to be a bit more 'professional' than some of the clowns I see on other styles of bikes.
This has been my experience as well. I came from 12 years of riding cruisers where gear was almost an afterthought and in some circles, frowned on. Ugh. I like how the sport-touring community prefers gear. Maybe it's just that I'm getting older...

Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #143
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S. View Post
This has been my experience as well. I came from 12 years of riding cruisers where gear was almost an afterthought and in some circles, frowned on. Ugh. I like how the sport-touring community prefers gear. Maybe it's just that I'm getting older...

You're also, apparently, getting smarter.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #144
DaFoole
WARPED Idjit

Oddometer: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Quite a lot of us experienced riders have left sport touring rides in favor of adventure bikes. For me personally as I've aged I have needed a more upright seating position and less knee bend. I've found less weight to be a good thing too. And I got another unexpected bonus from an adventure bike in the form of more airflow. I used to love the quiet, relatively still pocket behind a fairing, but aging has once again changed my priorities. Airflow and staying cooler is more important than quiet, because excess heat is having a greater effect on me nowadays. Like a sport tourer an adventure bike can still carry a ton of stuff, be quite comfortable, and can offer similar sporting performance and handling to a sport tourer. And it opens up additional opportunities when the pavement ends.
EXACTLY.....

Went from a sport tourer to and adventure bike for these reasons.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #145
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
What pains me is when I actually do see sport touring bikes in the wild, they're ridden by grey hairs in loafers... and just yesterday a silver GTL in NH ridden by a geezer, without a helmet, in a tank top. I could see the white hair of his shoulders as he passed, without returning my wave.
You know damned well this is about NH.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #146
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
my thoughts

Whenever I'm out on the open road I see HD's, BMW's of various flavors, GW's, and FJR's but little of anything else especially ST's.

I rode my KRS all over the friggin' country and loved everything about it except its weight:

I later sold it for this thinking I'd like the added power. Well, I DO but I miss the cruise control:

And this is my ultimate sport tourer that's been this close >< to the Canadian border and as far south as the MS coastline (Bay St. Louis) and all points in between. It's a great bike in the twisties and while it may lack the power of other bikes it does many things very well. I guess it always comes down to personal taste though, right?

spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #147
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post

And this is my ultimate sport tourer that's been this close >< to the Canadian border and as far south as the MS coastline (Bay St. Louis) and all points in between. It's a great bike in the twisties and while it may lack the power of other bikes it does many things very well. I guess it always comes down to personal taste though, right?
I absolutely loved my old RT, despite only 5 gears and less horsepower than most bikes I've owned. It fit me perfectly and was just damned good fun to ride.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #148
mnxs54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Which is why I really don't like long distance competition.
Agree wholeheartedly. I've done a couple IBA rides and I really enjoyed them. I put the license plate brackets on my bike the day I got them. But for me, I do it just for the ride and the challenge. I have no desire to make a competition out of it.
IBA# 45004
mnxs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #149
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
DNF's at the bottom of what list?

The guy I quoted was referring to last years IBR results. Somebody linked the .pdf a few pages back to show the list of S-T bikes.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #150
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Not sure where you live but I see a ton of sport touring bikes around here in California.....BMW's all day long, a ton of FJR1300's, alot of concours new and old... and every now and then an ST1300.....heck, just ride highway 1....I think I counted over a dozen FJR's alone in one afternoon going along the coast. I think sport touring is relatively a new category of bikes, yet I also see it expanding...Crusisers and sport bikes have been around forever so they are going to be in more abundance. The adventure bike is another gorwing yet small in population bike.