User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #166
BuilderBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I am here.

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago and promptly rode it from my home in Florida to Asheville and back (with some mountain riding for a few days in between).

Did my first service in Asheville at Eurosport (really great dealership). Very happy with the bike, but it's too miserably hot in FL to do much riding now, for my taste anyway. Come on October!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #167
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
I am here.

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago and promptly rode it from my home in Florida to Asheville and back (with some mountain riding for a few days in between).

Did my first service in Asheville at Eurosport (really great dealership). Very happy with the bike, but it's too miserably hot in FL to do much riding now, for my taste anyway. Come on October!

Holy crap, that bike is beautiful...and a wonderful ride.
My local dealership affords me the opportunity to read their demo bikes pretty much whenever I want and I spent a fair amount of time on the GT. I loved the bike but even though they knocked a lot of bucks off the sticker, I couldn't justify the cost and bought the FJR instead.
But I never begrudge a man who can afford it treating themselves.
Enjoy!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #168
BuilderBob
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Holy crap, that bike is beautiful...and a wonderful ride.
My local dealership affords me the opportunity to read their demo bikes pretty much whenever I want and I spent a fair amount of time on the GT. I loved the bike but even though they knocked a lot of bucks off the sticker, I couldn't justify the cost and bought the FJR instead.
But I never begrudge a man who can afford it treating themselves.
Enjoy!
Thanks!

I had a 2007 FJR and enjoyed it quite a bit (my first ST), and later traded it for a 2008 K1200GT, even better. I can honestly say that this one is head and shoulders above all the rest (and I have ridden them all).

I'm not a rich man, but I did have two bikes to trade, so the financial bite wasn't that hard to bear. No regrets.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #169
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Don't know if you have the time, but you should leave at night and ride that K1600 GT north and ride around New England for the summer. We've had some hot days in the 90s, but morning start out in the 60s, and they're predicting 50s in the mornings next week. That bike is a mile muncher and perfect for the trip.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #170
BuilderBob
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
Don't know if you have the time, but you should leave at night and ride that K1600 GT north and ride around New England for the summer. We've had some hot days in the 90s, but morning start out in the 60s, and they're predicting 50s in the mornings next week. That bike is a mile muncher and perfect for the trip.
You're right. I have a friend who has a summer house in Maine (rich guy). He has invited me to stay any time and I would love to make that trip. Maybe later this summer.

If I can't do that (I'm involved in a project that may impact my summer), I'll head west and south this winter. Never been to Austin, TX and that would be a cool trip as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #171
poondogger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
[/QUOTE]
Sooo jealous. I'd sit in my garage staring at that thing drinking beer when not riding it.
poondogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #172
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,845
I just bought a new-to-me bike that I consider the epitome of what a sport-touring bike is all about.

I know that it officially falls into the "Adventure" bike category, but this thing is 99% streetbike, and that makes it a S/T in my book. It's also big-time fun, fast as hell, and handles well enough to keep my former roadracer self very happy.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #173
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
I just bought a new-to-me bike that I consider the epitome of what a sport-touring bike is all about.

I know that it officially falls into the "Adventure" bike category, but this thing is 99% streetbike, and that makes it a S/T in my book. It's also big-time fun, fast as hell, and handles well enough to keep my former roadracer self very happy.
Just had one and loved it, amigo. I'm sure you will too.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #174
BuilderBob
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poondogger View Post
Sooo jealous. I'd sit in my garage staring at that thing drinking beer when not riding it.
Can't say that I haven't engaged in a little of that myself!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #175
Yostwerks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Rode my Sprint ST (minus it's panniers) this week along with a guy on a V-Strom . The DL 650 did quite well in the zillion or so twisties we played in.

Sport touring comes in many flavors

Yostwerks screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 07:02 AM
Yostwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #176
Jay S.
600cc Beast

Oddometer: 88
Congrats! I'm almost sure that will be my next bike in a couple years (torn between that and a Ninja 1000). I agree that it is a true ST bike. Then again, many of the new ADV bikes are used for touring, go figure. Let us know how you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post

Old 07-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #177
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Here was mine.
Plenty quick.
Reliable as an axe.
Decent handler.
And with proper panniers or other bags, fully capable of touring with the best of them.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #178
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yostwerks View Post
Rode my Sprint ST (minus it's panniers) this week along with a guy on a V-Strom . The DL 650 did quite well in the zillion or so twisties we played in.
Ahhh, I know the location of the pics. Nice images of nice bikes on nice roads.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #179
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,433
I was looking to sell my K75 a couple months ago in order to buy a mid weight sport tourer (was thinking VFR or similar). A guy offered up a DL1000 in trade and a couple days later the deal was done.

It definitely works as a sports tourer, but truth be told, I wish it was a little more sport than tourer. Comfy ergos though. I'm still messing with the suspension, but I'm not sure I am going to get it where I want it. A VFR, F800, Sprint, etc may be in my future in a couple seasons, but I still haven't given the DL a fair shot. I have a feeling once I take it on a long trip the comfort is going to add to its appeal. We'll see, but it is certainly checking the sport tourer box for now.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #180
Yostwerks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Ahhh, I know the location of the pics. Nice images of nice bikes on nice roads.
Thanks Steve. I live near Bailey so these are among my local favorites. We also did Brook Forest Road ...a ride I discovered in your book.

Great resource

Tom
Yostwerks is offline   Reply With Quote