Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #181
1/2 Brit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Wicked

My European style sport-tourer collection:

My '95 Triumph Trident 900 triple, 6.6 gallon tank, Targa Blast Shield, GIVI bags, Corbin seat. 25+ states on this one. Great bike, Triumph's first year back in the U.S., over-built to reestablish their reputation.

2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 (bought new in 2011) with matching sport-touring saddle-bags. Haven't toured too much on this one yet, but very comfy for a Ducati!

2005 BMW K1200s, uber sport-tourer. Set up for long distance touring. Been to 20 plus states on this one. I feel indestructible/omnipotent on this thing! Its THAT capable!!

American style sport-tourer:

1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, handles better than it has any right to . Been to 30+ states on this one, ultra-reliable of course, its a Honda!!

Japanese style sport-tourer:

Last, but not least, is my '83 Kawasaki KZ750 L3, bought new. I have a complete set of soft luggage (tank-bag, saddle-bags, and seat-bag) for it, made by BagMan by Vetter. Anybody remember that company? OMG, I'm old!! lol

1/2 Brit screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 09:00 PM
1/2 Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #182
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Quote:

2005 BMW K1200s, uber sport-tourer. Set up for long distance touring. Been to 20 plus states on this one. I feel indestructible/omnipotent on this thing! Its THAT capable!!

Cool bikes, all. But I know exactly what you mean about this one. The K/S is just an amazing bike.
It's been criticized by many for being a bike with no real purpose: too heavy to be a sport bike, too sporty for a tourer, and too fast for any real-world scenario.

But it all makes perfect sense after you've spent some time aboard one. Superb all-around motorcycle.

Leaving Monday morning for Colorado on mine....

Unleaded screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 09:44 PM
Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #183
1/2 Brit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Cool bikes, all. But I know exactly what you mean about this one. The K/S is just an amazing bike.
It's been criticized by many for being a bike with no real purpose: too heavy to be a sport bike, too sporty for a tourer, and too fast for any real-world scenario.

But it all makes perfect sense after you've spent some time aboard one. Superb all-around motorcycle.

Leaving Monday morning for Colorado on mine....
I totally agree!! I test rode both a BMW K1600GLT and a BMW S1000rr this past year. The BMW K1200/1300s is a perfect balance between these 2 capable/great, but narrowly focused, bikes!!

The test rides made me realize how special my K1200s is. I'll invest in some comfort/touring amenities to make it even more capable!

Good luck, and safe travels, to Colorado!!

We're headed to all 5 Great Lakes, cooler up there I hope, in a couple of weeks ourselves!! Now, I have to decide which sport-tourer to ride!!

Decisions-decisions LOL.

1/2 Brit screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 10:19 PM
1/2 Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #184
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Thanks very much for the safe travel wishes, and same to you, brother. I hope you find your cooler weather! That's what I'm in search of, too.

I have a k1300s, and I've added a Sargent seat and Pro-Grip (719's, I think) grips, but haven't made any other comfort mods. Unless you count the crash protectors, which I've been know to use briefly for highway pegs....

Love to hear of any mods you end up doing that you recommend. Aside from thinking a little more legroom would be nice every once in awhile, I love the riding position. At speed, the forward lean is just enough to counter wind blast, isn't it?

Great bike. Love that blue on yours, too. In fact, I actually like the lines of the K1200S better than the 13. I had a silver\yellow k12S, traded it off during a bout of temporary insanity, and missed it so much I bought my k13 last year with 2200 miles on the clock. Won't be making the trade mistake again!

Enjoy the lakes. That's beautiful country.

Unleaded screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 10:59 PM
Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #185
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
4. Monofunction (other than sport touring, sport tourers aren't really very good at much else)
I have to disagree with you on that. Sport touring bikes are far and away the best bikes for commuting in North America. An adventure bike kitted out with full set of hard bags comes in a close second, nipping past an ST if the roads to be covered are really lousy.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #186
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
Ok, I'm waaaay behind the curve here:

I ride a Rebel 250 on which I'm taking off for a 4 week trip next week (I teach - summers, yay!) I love my wee beastie for the gas mileage, I can actually load enough junk on it and its got enough get up and go for the freeways (bogs down a bit on hills and headwinds - don't care, thats what the slow lanes are for). I would like another bike for dirt roads and camping, but I'm now confused about the difference between an adventure bike and a sport-tourer. I don't care about going fast, I just want something that would be reasonably comfortable to take on dirt roads (with a little rocky stuff) and get there on paved roads. So, for an entry level rider like me the problems are :
1. Cost - I don't want to sell the Rebel to finance another bike (Teacher.....remember)
2. I want a more upright riding position
3. The seats are so dang high! (I sat on a KLR 650 and even though I'm 5'9" I couldn't even come close to touching the ground on both sides) Though I'm not sure where this bike fits in the continuum of adventure vs sport touring bikes.
4. Find like minded people who don't want to go fast on the dirt roads, but want to look around and use the bikes for transport to awesome places through pretty country to fabulous camping (so, basically a dirt touring bike that can handle some rough stuff).

So, I'm not sure I fit into any category either.....
You want a used Triumph Scrambler. Although you could also get a used SV650 or E6N and possibly pick up some adv type tires for 'em, since it seems as though the tire makers are expanding the sizes available in the sorts of tires that come on ADV bikes.

ps, I don't know where you live, but out here, a Rebel 250 on the freeways is nicknamed "roadkill".
Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #187
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
b: it's pretty top heavy for any dirt-riding, with street tires....and it's tall in the saddle, which makes waddling around gravel campgrounds tough.
yup. So don't waddle.

Quote:
c: It only shines when you're pushing 90 mph or beyond. And then it's a game of watching for the po-po.
Disagree with ya there. An ST1300 shines at almost any speed. It's got plenty of torque, along with a torque curve that's got no curve. It's like an electric locomotive. Heavy, stable, corners like its on rails, and sneaky fast.

Quote:
d: there's not THAT much space in it, compared to a full-boat touring bike. So when it comes to carrying camping gear, some food, etc, a big-assed touring bike does much better.
Now here, you're just flat out wrong. An ST1300 with a Hondaline topbox has more storage space than a GL1800, aka Goldwing. More.

Quote:
g: tire wear is an issue in these here united states where we often ride 4000 miles on a trip.
Yeah. That's a set of sportbike tires right there. Unless one is crazy aggressive on an ST1300, that's 1/3 to 1/2 way through a rear tire, and it's generally 2 front tires for every 3 rear tires. I believe the Concours C14 gets slightly worse tire mileage, the FJR1300 gets slightly better than an ST1300. At 4k per trip, tire wear is an issue on any bike. (which accounts for the rise of the Darksider Heresy.

Quote:
Thus....they are rare on the roads. And why the local Honda dealer has a several year old st1300, new, sitting on the sales floor. I'm not tempted to buy one.
With or without ABS? If it has ABS, let us know where it is, and we'll see about getting it off his floor before the month is out, unless he's silly enough to be asking full retail for a several years old bike. One other thing, do his salesfolk know a damn thing about the bike other than the asking price? I've had salesman at Honda dealerships ask me if my ST1300 is a Goldwing. If they're sales folks don't know the bike and don't try to sell it, it'll sit there until someone who knows what it is and is looking for it comes in.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #188
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Does anyone have experience of the Triumph Sprint RS?
I had one, great bike. The triple engine is an absolute gem. Sonically, I loved it. It sounded like a tractor at idle, and I would deliberately double back to go through tunnels again just to hear it as I run up the tach. That's on a stock pipe.

The reason I sold it is I needed a bike that was better for two up touring. I did do 2 2,000+ mile trips on the Sprint, plus multiple 250-500 mile days.

If you pick one up, make 100% absolutely positively sure that the fuel connection recall was done on it. My bike was one of the one's that spurred the recall. Aside from that, there were zero, nada, zilch mechanical issues that were not my fault. The bike performed flawlessly at sea level and at 10,000 feet, in triple digit and below freezing temps. I've actually considered getting another one, if I stumble across a great deal on one it may very well find a home in my garage.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #189
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S. View Post
Congrats! I'm almost sure that will be my next bike in a couple years (torn between that and a Ninja 1000). I agree that it is a true ST bike. Then again, many of the new ADV bikes are used for touring, go figure. Let us know how you like it.

It's been a month, and I'm in love.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #190
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
It's been a month, and I'm in love.
Nice bike Al, I had those on the shopping list and Honda 919's, ended up with the Bandit. Odd shopping list but they met my needs/wants/budget

Fathers Day weekend went to Gold Bluffs Beach/Fern Canyon camping, 7 miles of dirt each way to the campground. The Bandit is a good sport tourer for sure.
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #191
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
Nice bike Al, I had those on the shopping list and Honda 919's, ended up with the Bandit. Odd shopping list but they met my needs/wants/budget

Fathers Day weekend went to Gold Bluffs Beach/Fern Canyon camping, 7 miles of dirt each way to the campground. The Bandit is a good sport tourer for sure.
Hiya Rob!

I had a Bandito Grande on my short list of bikes too, but the Strom is more suitable for my XXL size. I spent more than I'd planned to, but I forget that every time I crack the throttle open to pass someone.

My wife and I are discussing a long trip for next Summer that will include some of British Columbia. The DL1000 will be absolutely perfect.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #192
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,170
+1 for the FJR

IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #193
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
+1 for the FJR

I love mine.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #194
cccbarkbuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Kinda skipped from page 2 to the last but feel the Buell Uly xt needs an honorable mention. I use it to commute and tour 2-up or not. 45 pus mpg no valves to adjust enough luggage capacity to stow my 1pc when i get to work and a blast to carve curves with. Riding position is like a big dirtbike with a windshield! Enough power to be entertaining and the kind of power and sound are fun.Its been a good farkling platform too! Only drawbacks for me is not enough range between fill ups, could use another gallon but maybe in a couple years EBR may build another.
08 Buell Uly XB12xt
78 BMW R100rs (sold 3/13/11)
04 KTM200exc 09 Kawasaki Versys(daughters)
cccbarkbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #195
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,274
Don't know why this came to mind all of a sudden

Garp is offline   Reply With Quote