Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #421
Ghostie
Cereal Killa

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniff View Post

2005 BMW K1200s, uber sport-tourer. Set up for long distance touring. Been to 20 plus states on this one. I feel indestructible/omnipotent on this thing! Its THAT capable!!

Beautiful bike. How does it do with 2-up riding?

I'm on the market for a bike capable of bringing the wife along comfortably whenever she opts to.

But I don't know how often this will be, so I'm afraid of going with too big a bike and lugging all that weight around for solo trips. (She's 5'8 if that helps, and we both fit very comfortably on a Multistrada at the Duc Dealership)

My current short list also includes the FJR and ST1300
Ghostie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #422
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 733
Cool2 K1200s lust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post

I'm on the market for a bike capable of bringing the wife along comfortably whenever she opts to.

But I don't know how often this will be, so I'm afraid of going with too big a bike and lugging all that weight around for solo trips. (She's 5'8 if that helps, and we both fit very comfortably on a Multistrada at the Duc Dealership)

Hey Ghostie,

WELCOME TO THE ASYLUM!!!

You have great taste in bikes, my friend.

Although ADV is pretty adventure tourer/dirt oriented, anyone who has ridden the K bike sport tourers knows its a pretty damn exhilarating adventure too!!

I wish you and your loved one many happy (s)miles.

Good....

Now...

FYYFF.

And go get me a beer and a sammich, n00b!!!

Gee Whiz, I've never welcomed n00bs before, but I feel like the Welcome Wagon today.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame

DOGSROOT screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 05:49 PM
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #423
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,832
Mine was available for viewing in the driftless region of MN, IA, and WI over the weekend.

I hauled a bunch of shit, and I hauled ass.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #424
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
I ride with a group that is heavily represented by VFRs but there is a Speed Triple, Hypermotard, and Sprint in the group. We're all busy enough that we don't rack up huge miles over the year but get together a few times a year to blast around WV, OH, KY, WI, and so forth. I'm the youngest by far at 33 and probably the slowest but we have a good time. So to the OP, look for me on my '90 VFR. There are still some of us out there.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #425
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
I ride with a group that is heavily represented by VFRs but there is a Speed Triple, Hypermotard, and Sprint in the group. We're all busy enough that we don't rack up huge miles over the year but get together a few times a year to blast around WV, OH, KY, WI, and so forth. I'm the youngest by far at 33 and probably the slowest but we have a good time. So to the OP, look for me on my '90 VFR. There are still some of us out there.
Whereabouts in Ohio are you? I'm in the Columbus area here.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #426
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
You want a used Triumph Scrambler. Although you could also get a used SV650 or E6N and possibly pick up some adv type tires for 'em, since it seems as though the tire makers are expanding the sizes available in the sorts of tires that come on ADV bikes.

ps, I don't know where you live, but out here, a Rebel 250 on the freeways is nicknamed "roadkill".
After 3700 miles on a Rebel trip I've decided that it's the bike for me. I've completely changed my mind on wanting a sport touring bike.

ps, make sure to proofread your posts. I'm sure that you meant to write

"I don't know where you live, but out here, a Rebel 250 on the freeways is nicknamed "awesome".

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #427
1/2 Brit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post

Actually, my wife has been riding her own for 25 years, she's never been on the back of the K 1200s.

There's a few coeds who always want a ride, maybe I'll let them critique the passenger comfort! lol

Seriously, I think it'd be comfortable two-up, especially with the GIVI top-box attached. This generation K-bikes are big and roomy.

1/2 Brit screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 07:01 PM
1/2 Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #428
Jay S.
600cc Beast

Oddometer: 88
7 days, 10 southeastern states, 2900 miles, traveling through the Tail of the Dragon. Solo... Epic. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #429
Jay S.
600cc Beast

Oddometer: 88
The obligatory Killboy pic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #430
Ghostie
Cereal Killa

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post

Hey Ghostie,

WELCOME TO THE ASYLUM!!!

You have great taste in bikes, my friend.

Although ADV is pretty adventure tourer/dirt oriented, anyone who has ridden the K bike sport tourers knows its a pretty damn exhilarating adventure too!!

I wish you and your loved one many happy (s)miles.

Good....

Now...

FYYFF.

And go get me a beer and a sammich, n00b!!!

Gee Whiz, I've never welcomed n00bs before, but I feel like the Welcome Wagon today.
thanks for the warm welcome, DOGSROOT.....heard a lot of great things about K bikes.

lol, what does FYYFF mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniff View Post
Actually, my wife has been riding her own for 25 years, she's never been on the back of the K 1200s.

There's a few coeds who always want a ride, maybe I'll let them critique the passenger comfort! lol

Seriously, I think it'd be comfortable two-up, especially with the GIVI top-box attached. This generation K-bikes are big and roomy.
Ok, we will probably head out to the dealership and sit on one...thanks
Ghostie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #431
Thunderjet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I owned two Gold wings previously and the last was a 2005 model.Rode the 05 from Kentucky to Alaska in 7 days. But they were simply to slow for my tastes and they lacked a 6th gear. So a couple of months purchased a Kawasaki Concours and added a Givi top case and am 90% happy. Only thing lacking is an electronic cruise control.

Why don't they sell well? All kids think about are sport bikes, it takes them a few years to realize it is not all about speed but comfort as well. Plus the bags mean they can leave the back packs at home. I dunno why we don't see more, most every other biker I run into gives me a thumbs up on the Concours. But I have noticed a steady increase in the number of "Adventure" bikes on the road and they make even more sense than a ST. That is why I plan on buying one next spring, but the Concours is staying as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I've come to the rather inescapable conclusion that sport touring motorcycles are among the rarest forms of transportation on Earth.

No matter where I go - unless it's to a bike rally - they are invisible. Nowhere to be found. On a motorcycle trip recently on my FRJ1300 covering about 1,400 miles I spotted ...
  • Probably 3 BMW R1200RTs
  • 1 BMW K1200S
  • 1 BMW R1100RT
  • 1 BMW R1150RT
  • 1 Triumph Sprint
  • 2 Honda ST1300s
  • 1 Honda ST1100
  • 1 Kawasaki Concours14
  • A couple of "I can't quite make that one out"s
In all those miles. In great motorcycle country.
The rest were old beat standards, dirt bikes, Gold Wings and, of course, Harleys.
Thousands and thousands and thousands of Harleys.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
But it really brought home to me once again, after riding for so many years, that the sport tourer is an odd bird that defies convention and appears not to appeal to very many people, which I find puzzling. To me, they're bikes that do so many things well (as long as it's on pavement).
What's your theory as to why sport tourers don't sell very well?
Thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #432
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 733
Laugh fyyff

Ghostie:

FYYFF

The "Y"s are for YOU

The "F"s are for various iterations of the "F" word.

It's meant kindly.

You can even get reflective stickers in the form of a country ID from GADGET BOY, I believe...

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #433
zx10flyer
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Here is my sport touring machine

These pictures are from Bear Mountain and Rt 218 in NY

zx10flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #434
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
This is my Connie somewhere near Estes Park Colorado.

scotty918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #435
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I've come to the rather inescapable conclusion that sport touring motorcycles are among the rarest forms of transportation on Earth.
No matter where I go - unless it's to a bike rally - they are invisible. Nowhere to be found. On a motorcycle trip recently on my FRJ1300 covering about 1,400 miles I spotted ...
  • Probably 3 BMW R1200RTs
  • 1 BMW K1200S
  • 1 BMW R1100RT
  • 1 BMW R1150RT
  • 1 Triumph Sprint
  • 2 Honda ST1300s
  • 1 Honda ST1100
  • 1 Kawasaki Concours14
  • A couple of "I can't quite make that one out"s
In all those miles. In great motorcycle country.
The rest were old beat standards, dirt bikes, Gold Wings and, of course, Harleys.
Thousands and thousands and thousands of Harleys.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
But it really brought home to me once again, after riding for so many years, that the sport tourer is an odd bird that defies convention and appears not to appeal to very many people, which I find puzzling. To me, they're bikes that do so many things well (as long as it's on pavement).
What's your theory as to why sport tourers don't sell very well?
This post got me thinking about the type of bikes that are out thereand why someone chooses one type over another. I currently have a 99 Concours but have had many different types of bikes from a 04 R1 to a 06 HD RoadGlide to a 08 Buell Ulysses. I decided that I would do my own count so on a recent trip up to Northern Idaho from Portland I decided to keep a count. I expected that cruiser style bikes HD or their foreign counterparts would be the majority but I had no idea how much so.

Over 1200 miles I saw...

10 Sport Touring type bikes
10 Adventure Style, Mostly 1200GS
7 Goldwings
8 Sportbikes( R1's GSXR's, Ect)
and

150 Harley Davidson Type Cruiser/Touring bikes

I was surprised that it was basically a 15-1 ratio. I think that a part of the reason behind this is the image that HD projects. Regardless of what you think of their motorcycles its hard to deny the image they have created in the mind of inexperienced riders of being the bike of choice. I have several friends who bought HD's because of the name alone. I think that unfortunately the sport-touring segment in America has been under marketed to. I believe that it takes a movement to build a following. For example look at look impact that MotoGP and World Superbike racing has on sportbike sales or the huge inflex of Adventure bikes that have been sold since Long Way Round hit the scene. But what does sport-touring have?? They have a very loyal following made up of a very small segment of the motorcycling public. To me the person that chooses a sport-touring type of bike is someone who has a desire for the performance that a sportbike offers but is also looking to have a bit more comfort and be able to put on some decent miles.

Anyway any thread that gets me to think is a winner in my book and this one has certainly done that.
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote