Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #451
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejedeye View Post
Same on my 2011 C-14, not that it would help you but I got a lower sear, think of it as risers, but in reverse, which changed my wrist angle, what a relief still some numbness but not nearly as bad..
Then I picked up one of those plastic clip on's for your throttle so it puts the pressure on the palm - magic.
+1.
I have one (I think it's called a Cramp Buster) and use it whenever I travel. I think they cost about $8-$10 and it's the best accessory you can add.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #452
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I just picked this up this afternoon. 2004 with 20,000 miles.

on the way home I hit 106 on the GPS and it was still pulling like a freight train.

Nice, bro!
Enjoy it.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #453
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
updated.

My mind wasn't working too well last night. Left the house around 8am on a '76 airhead and rode 200 miles to a dealer with the wife and a buddy. After trying this k1200rs, our buddy tried a F800st and a k100rs. He ended up buying the k100rs, so we took a long, scenic 200 miles back to Memphis last night.
Hey Stu, Do you find the K12RS to be much less agile than the Futura in the tight stuff? I bet it's smoother and more comfy on just about everything else! Congrats.
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #454
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Got back yesterday from the Ozarks BS Rally (MSTA event). Attendance was between 90 and 100 riders, and the number seems to be slowly dropping each year as either there is rider gentrification or a lessening of interest in this sort of event and riding.

FWIW, there were ten folks from the Omaha area that were at the rally. The mix of the group's bikes used for the "sport touring" event were as follows:

Triumph Bonneville
Honda ST1300
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati Monster 1100
Ducati Monster 796
Ducati 916
Yamaha FZ6
Suzuki Hayabusa
Kawasaki ZZR1200 (mine)

I'd say that of the ten only three (ST, Sprint, ZZR) would be strictly classified as sport tourers. Lump in the 'Busa if you want. That still is a minority.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #455
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejedeye View Post
Same on my 2011 C-14, not that it would help you but I got a lower sear, think of it as risers, but in reverse, which changed my wrist angle, what a relief still some numbness but not nearly as bad..
Then I picked up one of those plastic clip on's for your throttle so it puts the pressure on the palm - magic.
I have a 34" inseam, so a lower seat height might help my wrists, but it sure wouldn't help my knees. I already have one of those plastic throttle clip thingys. It helps me a little.

Glad you were able to find something that worked for you.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #456
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Got back yesterday from the Ozarks BS Rally (MSTA event). Attendance was between 90 and 100 riders, and the number seems to be slowly dropping each year as either there is rider gentrification or a lessening of interest in this sort of event and riding.

FWIW, there were ten folks from the Omaha area that were at the rally. The mix of the group's bikes used for the "sport touring" event were as follows:

Triumph Bonneville
Honda ST1300
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati Monster 1100
Ducati Monster 796
Ducati 916
Yamaha FZ6
Suzuki Hayabusa
Kawasaki ZZR1200 (mine)

I'd say that of the ten only three (ST, Sprint, ZZR) would be strictly classified as sport tourers. Lump in the 'Busa if you want. That still is a minority.
Well, regardless, they all work for me. Some more 'sport bike', some more 'adventure tourer', some hard to categorize.
The point is that they weren't Giant Throbbing Harleys, which is what I see 98.45% of the time on the road.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #457
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
Hey Stu, Do you find the K12RS to be much less agile than the Futura in the tight stuff? I bet it's smoother and more comfy on just about everything else! Congrats.
Well, I only have 300 miles on the RS, so my comparison is limited. It also didnt help that on the ride home from the dealer, the front tire only had 22 psi, not the recommended 36. I have some new tires coming this weekend, so I'll give you a better answer next week.

Right now, I don't know if the RS is less agile in tight stuff, but the Futura is more 'flickable'. On the futura, I just point my head and it goes. The RS seems to need a little more pointing of the shoulders and upper body. But the RS is definately roomier.

The RS seems, to me, easier than the futura in real slow stuff, like turning around in a parking lot. I think the futura has a bigger turning radius.

I put my futura in the flea market but am regretting it more and more every minute. I might have to withdraw the sale and learn to live with two sport tourers (and my 1150 GS).
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #458
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 718
Thumb Rs

Quote:
Well, I only have 300 miles on the RS, so my comparison is limited. It also didnt help that on the ride home from the dealer, the front tire only had 22 psi, not the recommended 36. I have some new tires coming this weekend, so I'll give you a better answer next week.

Right now, I don't know if the RS is less agile in tight stuff, but the Futura is more 'flickable'. On the futura, I just point my head and it goes. The RS seems to need a little more pointing of the shoulders and upper body. But the RS is definately roomier.

The RS seems, to me, easier than the futura in real slow stuff, like turning around in a parking lot. I think the futura has a bigger turning radius.

I put my futura in the flea market but am regretting it more and more every minute. I might have to withdraw the sale and learn to live with two sport tourers (and my 1150 GS).

Beautiful bike, Stu!!

I have a '98 RS and an '03 GT, and love them both.

Now all I need is an 1150GS, and perhaps a Futura.

(The Taxi is on the block now...)

I found some thread somewhere full of guys who claimed the bike's performance is enhanced by using 39 to 41 psi in the front, and I have to concur.

You may want to spearmint with that.

You are the first person I've ever heard praise a K1200's slow handling!!!

I added bar backs to comfort risers, and that made a world of difference.

(My bar backs reduce the bar droop by 16* too, which I really, really like.)

What tires did you go for?

I've had a great time w/ the PR II's...

My odd experience has been that while I was always aprehensive on gravel roads w/ my RS, the GT seems to do fine.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #459
Androu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
NT700, Honda calls it a "Sport Touring Bike". Really more tour than sport, but I have a blast exploring the mountains and desert valleys with it.

Androu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #460
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Beautiful bike, Stu!!

I found some thread somewhere full of guys who claimed the bike's performance is enhanced by using 39 to 41 psi in the front, and I have to concur.

You may want to spearmint with that.
I'll give that a try. I was going to try the Pilot Sport 3, but bikebandit was out of the front, so I went with Pilot Sport 2 front and rear. I've never ordered tires before from bikebandit, but i've gotten tired of Swmoto's sliding customer service. I'll play around with front pressures.

Quote:
You are the first person I've ever heard praise a K1200's slow handling!!!
I think it's because i'm used to my 1150GS, leaning it over at slow speeds for u-turns while keeping my body upright. There have been a few times turning around my Futura when I was afraid i was going to drop it over.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #461
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Got back yesterday from the Ozarks BS Rally (MSTA event).
I wasn't aware of this rally, but now I am. We're in Memphis, so we'll add it to our calendar next year. We've got a k1200rs, an aprilia futura and a moto guzzi norge, hopefully those will be acceptable.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #462
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Quote:
I wasn't aware of this rally, but now I am. We're in Memphis, so we'll add it to our calendar next year. We've got a k1200rs, an aprilia futura and a moto guzzi norge, hopefully those will be acceptable.
Of course! I look forward to meeting you next year.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #463
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 718
Cool2

Quote:

Yeah I was excited to discover this too!

I may be a little further away, but WTF, that's what these bikes are for, right?

Stu, I came from an 1100GS to my RS, and I also attributed my slow handling "skills" to that bike.

Took a little break-in period, but I don't hop from bike to bike as much as you do,
you lucky bastard.

At the risk of repeating myself, I found the bar backs brought the RS closer to a GS feel steering-wise, which

pleased me greatly.

I'm a hell of a lot more careful w/ u-turns and in tight spaces though!

Good Luck w/ the new tires, be sure to post your impressions here for us, eh?

(I have Pilot Roads; I'll have to research these Pilot Sports you speak of...)

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #464
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
I've had a few sport tourers, I found them boring to ride unless you go fast; like sport bikes on the street, yawn. If I want to rip, I'll get on the grid. American roads/laws are not really compatible with the way I like to ride if I'm on a sport touring bike. My last one was a BMW R1200ST ... great bike.
I'll eat some crow here.... I bought a '12 HD Road Glide Ultra and rode it 9000 miles over three months in a variety of riding. Well, at the end of the day it just didn't meet my needs and I didn't like the riding position. I moved it on and bought a '12 BMW K1600GT which is an amazing machine! In conclusion, sport tourers are magnificent! .... when I'm not in the dirt!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #465
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Took a little break-in period, but I don't hop from bike to bike as much as you do,
you lucky bastard.
my hopping has slowed down. It was more of a search for the perfect bikes for me. it took awhile, but i'm to the point now where i don't want to get rid of anything. ever. until i break them.

I just pulled my ad for my Futura, I can't bear to part with it. It's taken me a lot of testing, but my three bikes now suit me very well for how I ride. besides the daily commute of 55 miles, my trips are usually 300-500 miles in a day to get somewhere, or two week long trips, where we haul ass for three days, then spend a good amount of time exploring the area.

I tried dirt bikes, I tried old bikes, i tried the wee strom. all good bikes, but not for me. i guess i'm just a sport tourer person. except for when i'm dirt/gravel touring on the GS. i've tried other sport tourers, like the Sprint ST (995). it was a great bike, but it was too cramped for me for anything other than commuting.