Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #661
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Motocopter, KTM 500EXC or Honda XR650L? Pretty far apart as far as dual sports go. It's like saying Honda Civic or BMW 5 series for my next car.
You are correct, sir!

2012 Concours 1400 | 2008 Z1000 | 1999 WR-400F
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #662
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post

I don't think I'll ever buy another "sport tourer". The adventure bikes are just too awesome now, and it'd be too much of a compromise to loose the "adventure" capability of a V-Strom, Tenere, Tiger 800xc, GS, etc. I fail to see what something like an ST1300 or FJR1300 could do for me that those can't, other than provide so much power it'd be too easy to lose my license and "look" a whole lot "sportier" doing so.

I think the sport tourers are simple the distance-capable bikes for people that have no interest in adventure bikes but don't want/can't afford an all out touring bike like a Goldwing.
I've had 'em all: Gold Wing and BMW K1200LT Big Tourers and ADV bikes, an R1150GS and V-Strom 1000, as well as an ST1300 and FJR1300 in the sport touring class.
I have no interest in the mega tourers anymore and like the ADV bikes but don't love them. I have no interest in dumping an expensive adventure bike in the dirt since my off-road skills are pretty damn limited and I ride exclusively on pavement. And I want enough power with full luggage and my lovely wife on the back to make quick work of whoever is in front of me 'cuz I like to move at a fairly brisk pace.
Sport tourers fill my needs for power, weather protection (without being stifling), handling, luggage, looks and comfort better than anything else on the road. I just really, really like 'em.
Having said that, I'm one of those, "Hey, whatever floats your boat" guys. From Wee-Strom to Big Harley, hell, I don't care as long as you like it.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #663
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe a View Post
Just keep in mind youngster that a large percentage of these wonderful "ADV" bikes that you mention and their riders NEVER go off road....so yes they should stick to the ST bikes and spare you the despair of finding the need to be so critical of what people chose to ride.....
No criticism ever intended. Just stating my point of view.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #664
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Having said that, I'm one of those, "Hey, whatever floats your boat" guys. From Wee-Strom to Big Harley, hell, I don't care as long as you like it.
That's how I feel too.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #665
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 11,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I've had 'em all: Gold Wing and BMW K1200LT Big Tourers and ADV bikes, an R1150GS and V-Strom 1000, as well as an ST1300 and FJR1300 in the sport touring class.
I have no interest in the mega tourers anymore and like the ADV bikes but don't love them. I have no interest in dumping an expensive adventure bike in the dirt since my off-road skills are pretty damn limited and I ride exclusively on pavement. And I want enough power with full luggage and my lovely wife on the back to make quick work of whoever is in front of me 'cuz I like to move at a fairly brisk pace.
Sport tourers fill my needs for power, weather protection (without being stifling), handling, luggage, looks and comfort better than anything else on the road. I just really, really like 'em.

I like the way you talk (as spoken in my best Carl voice).
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #666
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
After having read through this thread, it occured to me that the definition of sport touring seems to have changed or been blurred. A Sport/Touring bike was ment to be a sporty bike that could be ridden at a brisk pace while comfortable enough to do some light touring. It is a bike that goes from point A to point B 250 miles away quickly and comfortably. If you have to stop for gas or to stretch before you get there, you are not on a S/T bike. BMW created the market with the R100RS and continued the tradition with the R1100RT line of bikes. By definition the Kaw 14 Concourse and Yamaha FJR1300 and BMW K1600GT are, but not to me because the engines are too busy. To me, the Honda ST1100 and ST1300 capture the spirit perfectly. Sorry boys, just because you call it a S/T bike does make it one. Forget the race replicas, the ADV bikes, cruisers, ect.... they are not nor ever will be a S/T bike!
I think the reason you don't see them on the road much any more is because now owning a motorcycle is fashionable and they don't have the flash. Now the bikes to own are cruisers and ADV bikes to a lesser extent and neither usually accumulates many miles per number of bikes on the road. Sport Touring bikes are geared towards the people that want to get out and hit the road and put some serious miles on a bike and that is not the majority on people that ride anymore.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #667
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,034
Qaz,
I've had both an ST1100 and now an FJR1300. Outside of the FJR fitting me much better I don't see the difference that you do in definition.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #668
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Sport Touring bikes are geared towards the people that want to get out and hit the road and put some serious miles on a bike and that is not the majority on people that ride anymore.
This is what I use my C14 for. It has seen TN, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, and KY so far in the year I've owned it. My Z1K is fine for a few hours, but at my age, it won't be ridden out of the local area.

Back in '79, I rode my Honda 400F from New Brunswick, NJ to Phoenix, AZ in about five days. This picture was taken by a couple, and then handed to me while moving along the Interstate! Water-proof wrap on the seat is made up of two or three pieces of Holiday Inn shower curtains taped together!

So, spending a day putting the miles behind me are still something I want to do, I just need a comfortable bike that has good spirited characteristics about it. My Connie 14 fills the need.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #669
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Qaz,
I've had both an ST1100 and now an FJR1300. Outside of the FJR fitting me much better I don't see the difference that you do in definition.
I have an FJR. It's a sport-tourer.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #670
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
After having read through this thread, it occured to me that the definition of sport touring seems to have changed or been blurred. A Sport/Touring bike was ment to be a sporty bike that could be ridden at a brisk pace while comfortable enough to do some light touring. It is a bike that goes from point A to point B 250 miles away quickly and comfortably. If you have to stop for gas or to stretch before you get there, you are not on a S/T bike. BMW created the market with the R100RS and continued the tradition with the R1100RT line of bikes. By definition the Kaw 14 Concourse and Yamaha FJR1300 and BMW K1600GT are, but not to me because the engines are too busy. To me, the Honda ST1100 and ST1300 capture the spirit perfectly. Sorry boys, just because you call it a S/T bike does make it one. Forget the race replicas, the ADV bikes, cruisers, ect.... they are not nor ever will be a S/T bike!
I think the reason you don't see them on the road much any more is because now owning a motorcycle is fashionable and they don't have the flash. Now the bikes to own are cruisers and ADV bikes to a lesser extent and neither usually accumulates many miles per number of bikes on the road. Sport Touring bikes are geared towards the people that want to get out and hit the road and put some serious miles on a bike and that is not the majority on people that ride anymore.
What is a "busy" engine?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #671
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
What is a "busy" engine?
I know, right?
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #672
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
What is a "busy" engine?
More than X number of moving parts, I guess.

(Insert your personal preference for X.)

Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #673
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
. It is a bike that goes from point A to point B 250 miles away quickly and comfortably. If you have to stop for gas or to stretch before you get there, you are not on a S/T bike.
You have no idea how some of us ride our bikes. . I could do what you describe on a Wing, my old BMW GS or my sportbike with luggage.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #674
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
More than X number of moving parts, I guess.

(Insert your personal preference for X.)

x = 205
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #675
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

I still like the look of the 80's BMWs and Moto Guzzis but, owning one now isn't really appealing. The technological progression to where were are now is awesome - 6-speed transmissions, huge front discs for braking, non-jacking shaft drives, switchable eco mode fueling, etc.