Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #781
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I've used both turn signal systems extensively.
Both work just fine.
Much ado about nothing.
It was always a loud journo complaint; I quite liked the BMW switches tbh.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #782
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
So, my C14 isn't likely to go away - I really enjoy riding to different destinations. Since I'm not tempted to roll down a gravel road, its chances of ever ending up on its side are slim. On an adventure bike, I'd always be looking for places off the beaten path to see, thereby significantly increasing the possibility of the bike ending up on its side. I ask myself how many times would I be willing to replace OEM parts? That thought/reasoning sends me looking for a dual-sport bike, then I tell myself to go ride the WR-400 once in a while.

I'm pretty sure the majority of my riding will continue to be pure street.

My only ride report | IBA member | AMA member
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #783
rider33
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
To my eye, the number of sport tourers have steadily decreased as the ADV/Dual sports have increased, dramatically. Lots and lots of large aluminum panniers go by every day.
DO
One of the nicer things about touring on a sport-touring bike is that you don't tend to run into huge hordes of them on the open road. For whatever reason, they don't seem to travel in packs the way heavier touring bikes do. Ten years ago it seemed like you never saw a GS-class mega enduro either. Now completely optioned out mega ADV bikes seem fairly common in the middle of know where, oddly tho, more often than not they don't have a spec of dirt on them (lots of stickers tho.......).
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #784
Daddyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Well personally, if I like my motorcycle I really don't care if they travel in "huge hoards" so I don't quite get how that's a "nicer thing". To me it would mean more cheap used parts available but mine are odd so no such luck.

I also don't see any problem with a ride not having a "spec of dirt" on it either. If some cat wants to spend THIER money on a big bike with a beak, and never hit the dirt, thay aren't damaging me in any way.
If they are riding (dirt/street/tunnel of death) and having fun it's not my bizness, just good on em and keep it up.

I don't feel the need to pigeonhole every other person I see on a (different than mine) moto, but that makes me unusual on the interwebs and probably mo happier too : )

DO
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #785
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I also don't see any problem with a ride not having a "spec of dirt" on it either. If some cat wants to spend THIER money on a big bike with a beak, and never hit the dirt....
DO
I keep going to see the Ducati Multi and pa-roos the Cycle trader ads. If I ever bought one, I suspect it would be difficult to ride off-road for the reason I eluded to in my earlier post.

But, who knows.

My Concours14 would just share the garage.

My only ride report | IBA member | AMA member
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #786
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Pics of the new bike

Here's the 2010 BMW K1300S I picked up last Friday. Cold here in Connecticut, but had to take it out for a spin. What a rocket!

It came with the Sport Luggage; 100% stock, and mint!
Ricky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #787
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
I like having both when I can, sport touring bikes perform better on pavement than the average DS could muster down hill with a tail wind.

I've chased ST set up bikes on a 950ADV on long trips through the various mountain ranges and had to work to stay with a fast rider on a ST1300. The limit was not power, it was the front scorpion AT washing out. But, my buddies could not loose me easily though, well the one on the old Blackbird could.

When things get well above 80 mph my FJR really shined out west cruising in a relaxed planted no fuss way. Even my old ST1100 cruised easily at 90 with no drama, can't say that about my DS bikes. Add real DS tires like TKC's and fast corners will make you pucker, but still grin like a jack ass...

The magazines are selling advertising and an image. I like them all, they all have their place. But when I think of a ST, that covers so much. But being 6'-3" I felt better on the big ones, FJR, ST13, C14. Great touring bikes, I'll take one of each thank you.

Always wanted a K1300S, no money right now for such a gentlemen's rocket. Nice very nice..
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #788
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
I had the ultimate SPORT TOURER Aprilia Futura, but me and 4he girlfriend were in need of a little more room. Just sold it today and I'm going Saturday to hopefully purchase a 2007 FJR1300 from a fellow inmate. I hope the Yamaha can put the same smile on my face that the Futura did.
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #789
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by 625SXC View Post
I had the ultimate SPORT TOURER Aprilia Futura, but me and 4he girlfriend were in need of a little more room. Just sold it today and I'm going Saturday to hopefully purchase a 2007 FJR1300 from a fellow inmate. I hope the Yamaha can put the same smile on my face that the Futura did.
I have an FJR... I think you will smile.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #790
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
It better....lol
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #791
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 625SXC View Post
It better....lol
Well, I ain't makin' no promises, but I think you'll find the FJR to be a fun ride. And if you don't, sell it and buy another Futura.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #792
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
Of the big heavy ST's the FJR is the most nimble IMO. The engine is great, very low upkeep and it is very durable. The shaft drive is stout, coming from a chain driven bike you will feel the shaft lag. Its not bad though, I loved the low maintenance.

On the 07's, look for the completed recalls, the ECU was replaced, the ignition switch, chassis spider ground and probably something else... The 07's had more issues than the other years but the cherry red was my favorite. I highly recommend a G2 throttle tube to smooth out the throttle. Some guys mess with the throttle springs, but the throttle tube helped my 07 enough. Made it much better in first gear hairpins.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #793
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I have an FJR... I think you will smile.
It makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #794
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
I dunno, what makes a ST a ST? If it's sporty, and you tour, is it a ST
Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #795
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
It makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.
Do you cover your mouth like a Japanese schoolgirl when you giggle?

All kidding aside, there are times when I can twist the throttle on my FJR on a good road and I really do laugh out loud at the exhilaration. It's a fantastic bike!!!