Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #871
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 625SXC View Post
Does a sportster have a engine, suspention and brakes derived from a sport bike? Does a CB1100 Come with a set of factory installed hard luggage? Do either of those bikes come with factory installed fairings to protect the rider from the wind and weather?

If I drive a Goldwing down a dirt road does that mean its an ADV bike? Or is it still a luxury tourer that I happened to drive down a dirt road?
That's a lot of questions for one post. I don't think that's allowed anymore. Or else your being satircal...or something.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #872
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Nobody is doubting that you can ride cross country on a Puch moped, but that doesnt change the fact that its still a moped and will never be a ST bike.

Call the local multi make dealer and say.... Im coming down and I want at ST bike... have it gassed up and ready to go. ? Will they have a Rebel 250 or FJR1300?
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #873
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
And next time I go through Barrie Ontario I'll wave at Maggot and friends in the local Tim Hortons parking lot
Sorry bud,

I don't drink coffee or eat donuts, but if you see motorcycles at Timm's and wave, it'll likely be to your Canadian HD riding counterparts. You really should stop in and say hi to them.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #874
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Sorry bud,

I don't drink coffee or eat donuts, but if you see motorcycles at Timm's and wave, it'll likely be to your Canadian HD riding counterparts. You really should stop in and say hi to them.
I thought that the Harley guys had to hang out at bars. Do you mean to tell me I've been doing it all wrong???

FUCK CANCER!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #875
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,195
Quote:
You should lurk more and post less..

The only thing similar in a Cbf and that XR is two wheels and a motor. The Cbf will out preform that thing in every way possible. Stock ABS, and twice as many pistons in the calipers and the engine, weather protection, adjustable seat and windshield, much longer range, better headlights, and intergrated lights all round. The luggage is stock and intergrated, similar to an FJR or ST1300. Super quiet and smooth right from 1k to 10k redline, and fit, finish like no XR would match...
sorry bud, but they're not the same kind of transportation.

The XR, With the thin seat and fake leather bags, I'd rather try to sport tour on a KLR with supermoto rubber.....and one could probably buy a CBF and a KLR for the price that garbage....

Have fun sport touring my friend, I know I will going across Canada this summer..
You really need to ride a few bikes. Your CBF is a budget bike with some plastic, ala Bandit:

2006 - 2009 CBF1000:

Top speed 145mph
1/4-mile acceleration 11.9 secs
Power 96.5bhp
Torque 69ftlb
Weight 220kg
Seat height 795mm
Fuel capacity 19 litres
Average fuel consumption 40mpg
Tank range 145 miles
Insurance group 14
Engine size 998cc
Engine specification 16v transverse four, 6 gears
Frame Steel tube spine
Front suspension adjustment None
Rear suspension adjustment Preload
Front brakes 2 x 296mm discs
Rear brake 240mm disc
Front tyre size 120/70 x 17
Rear tyre size 160/60 x 17

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...-2006-current/

0-60 is 3.7 to 3.9, depending on which review you read.

XR1200:

HP - 92
TQ 73.91
0-60 3.8
1/4 mile - 11.8 - 12.1 depending on the review
Weight 551 lbs
Front tire width - 120
Rear tire width - 180
Frame - Steel Tube

The CBF has the same relative usable street performance, but has a higher top speed. It also has a soft, budget suspension with a non-adjustable front fork.

The XR1200X's suspension is fully adjustable and the big piston forks absolutely smoke the CBF. The XR also has a lot more rubber on the road. These are just a couple of the reasons the XR will smoke the CBF on a twisty road. Both go from zero to jail in approximately the same time, so the extra top speed of the CBF is useless.

You really are clueless about both sport touring and motorcycles themselves. I encourage you to visit the topic again after you've ridden hundreds of models hundreds of thousands of miles across 4 decades, and spent a decade or more working in the motorcycle business

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #876
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Sorry bud,

The last two times I traversed your country on two wheels the vast majority of folks I saw out on the plains of Saskatchewan, the Icefields pkwy, or the northern tip of Nova Scotia were all riding Harleys. In fact, the only other motorcycle I saw in Northern Quebec at Radisson and Chisasibi was a Harley (other than the BMW's we were riding). There were no Hondas. Go figure.

You're about to get a real education on this trip you claim you are taking, if you are actually going. Maybe you'll stop being such a dumbass and let go of some of your prejudices.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #877
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Yea, that's what I did. You wish you could even see a CBF1000....

Now isn't there a HD thread you can attend too and leave us sport touring bike owners to talk about real bikes..

Bugger off...
Wait a minute, aren't you the guy that said you had not used your Honda sport tourer for any real sport touring because you had only got it this fall and winter had got in the way? Just where have you gone to become such a guru of sport touring? We want to learn from you!!

Please don't tell me that your belligerant attitude is caused by a lack of self esteem due to a lack of real world experience.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #878
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,478
I would certainly consider an XR1200X a bike capable of sport touring, whether you call it a sport tourer or not. But I have to agree with the others that I, personally, would not consider a Sportster a sport tourer or consider sport touring on it.

But since there is no universally accepted definition of a sports tourer, people can call it what they want. I just don't think you'll convince too many people to consider a Sportster an ST bike.

To me, if it is comfortable enough ride 500 miles without being sore the next day and is still really fun in the twisties, I'd be willing to sports tour on it (even if I wouldn't call it a sports tourer).
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #879
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Ergos of a sport tourer? Since those ergos vary from nearly upright to many, many degrees of forward lean on bikes officially marketed as "sport tourers" I think it's safe to say there is no specific defined criteria. In fact, to that end I have no problem calling this a sport tourer too:

As for the CBF 1000, it is no more and no less a sport tourer than this:

The XR has a few less HP, a few more Ft Lbs of torque, similar weight, and similar ergos. Both have add on luggage.

Again, sport touring is much more about the trip than it is the specific bike. But those who disagree and think you need to go spend thousands on yet another bike to be able to "sport tour", I say great! Put your money where your mouth is and go stimulate the economy! I won't bother because I can sport tour just as well on the Tiger 800 Roadie in my garage as I can on the latest greatest BMW that costs twice as much. After buying, riding, and selling 10 of the roundel's greatest I'm comfortable with the concept that the brand/style of the bike isn't the center piece. Instead it is a tool by which to experience different people and places. As special as the 7,000 mile trans USA/Canada trip was on my K bike, a 1200 mile weekend through the Smokys on my R6 brought just as big of a smile to my face. The experiences - though different for each trip mentioned - are equally engaging.
agree mostly

but bikes evolve

how we use them evolves

2 yr old model sports bike

will be dressed up as this years sport tourer

by the manufacture, can't spank

so in the 50's a st could be a single or twin

60's more twins and at the end 4's

70's twins/triples/4's

and so on

we used to tour on Norton's triumph's, Ducati's etc.

we would have called them st

today no,

just changes with time.

is the idea of a large mc. with power and sometimes comfort etc.

but I love my k12s, for touring

but I have just as much fun touring and pushing thru the corners

as r100 pd, wife's 696, or my friends 125 Chinese bike

its in the mind to be able to travel reasonable long distances at reasonable quick speeds,

I enjoy any bike if I have the time to use it on the open road

cheers

2c
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #880
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I would certainly consider an XR1200X a bike capable of sport touring, whether you call it a sport tourer or not. But I have to agree with the others that I, personally, would not consider a Sportster a sport tourer or consider sport touring on it.

But since there is no universally accepted definition of a sports tourer, people can call it what they want. I just don't think you'll convince too many people to consider a Sportster an ST bike.

To me, if it is comfortable enough ride 500 miles without being sore the next day and is still really fun in the twisties, I'd be willing to sports tour on it (even if I wouldn't call it a sports tourer).
Since I've already sport toured on one, it doesn't matter whether or not they believe it can be done. What they sorely miss is the fact that sport touring is a type of riding. It only later became a type of motorcycle so bike manufacturers could sell more iron (or more appropriately, plastic).

Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #881
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Since I've already sport toured on one, it doesn't matter whether or not they believe it can be done. What they sorely miss is the fact that sport touring is a type of riding. It only later became a type of motorcycle so bike manufacturers could sell more iron (or more appropriately, plastic).
Is that sort of like buying an "badass" styled bike and expecting it to make you a badass? Ok, just kidding. sorry.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #882
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Wait a minute, aren't you the guy that said you had not used your Honda sport tourer for any real sport touring because you had only got it this fall and winter had got in the way? Just where have you gone to become such a guru of sport touring? We want to learn from you!!

Please don't tell me that your belligerant attitude is caused by a lack of self esteem due to a lack of real world experience.

Just left Victoria last summer after putting 100,000kms on a 650 strom while there. And you're a typical... ahhh nevermind.

I've seen most of north america and had the joy of travelling from st. John's to victoria and back. 12k one way over 5 weeks.

You may as well bugger off too if you have nothing to offer...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #883
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Is that sort of like buying an "badass" styled bike and expecting it to make you a badass? Ok, just kidding. sorry.
It is exactly the same thing! And while I'll defend their right to spend their money that way if that's what they want, I'll also tell them they're fucking idiots when they judge people who don't behave exactly like them

Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #884
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Just left Victoria last summer after putting 100,000kms on a 650 strom while there. And you're a typical... ahhh nevermind.

I've seen most of north america and had the joy of travelling from st. John's to victoria and back. 12k one way over 5 weeks.

You put 100,000 kilometers - 62,000 miles - on a V-Strom, on one small Western Canadian Island in one summer?

You are like a god to me.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #885
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:

A typical what? Is there such a thing? There we go, let it out. Is a Weestrom a sport touring bike? Be carefull now.

FUCK CANCER!!!!