User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
triple6 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
V-strom repair help

So I crashed the v-strom 1000 last night. Dumped it into a muddy ditch..Damage is= one busted right handguard, right turn signal possibly pulled away from fairing, and one rear brake pedal bent way out.

I'm going to look at the turn signal and handguard later, not too upset about those.

Can I just bend back the brake pedal? Best way to remove it?
triple6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Klickster102
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I would just try to bend it back while its on the bike, you could try and remove it and throw it in a vise but theres a good chance it will break if it is really bent. Its worth a try to bend it back through...
02 CR250r(sold)
Klickster102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
emti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I would take it off and use a block of wood and a hammer, sounds crude but I worry that trying to bend it on the bike will stress the pivot section more than neccesary. By hammering on it you can direct the force where you want, and probably get it straighter. besides its bent already. have fun, emti
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,693
Bending aluminum stuff work hardens it at the bend. Trying to re-straighten it after it's work hardened can cause it to break. That being said I've successfully straightened clutch and brake levers by heating them and then quenching them in water while hot. The quench anneals the aluminum so that it can be bent back into place - just the opposite of the way that it works with steel.

Good luck and be prepared for buying a new lever if my suggestion doesn't pan out. Oh, and if you're going to do it on your wife's new stove get all of the oil off and wait until she's out of the house.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
Bending aluminum stuff work hardens it at the bend. Trying to re-straighten it after it's work hardened can cause it to break. That being said I've successfully straightened clutch and brake levers by heating them and then quenching them while hot. The quench anneals the aluminum so that it can be bent back into place - just the opposite of the way that it works with steel.

Good luck and be prepared for buying a new lever if my suggestion doesn't pan out. Oh, and if you're going to do it on your wife's new stove get all of the oil off and wait until she's out of the house.
Listen to this advice or you'll be buying a new one. Also remember aluminum does NOT glow when it gets hot.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
Listen to this advice or you'll be buying a new one. Also remember aluminum does NOT glow when it gets hot.
True dat. And watch your temperature - aluminum can instantly go into a liquid state over 1000 degrees F depending upon the alloy.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
just did a lever this week,watch the thin section -pedal end.was going to quench it then bend but watched it return to about 90 percent of straight while being heated on the gas stove,alternated sides after a count of 20 , started with a count of -5,then ten ,then 20 as I was not getting much results , quenched in water and finished on a wood faced vise and plastic mallet. looks good not perfect .
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
wasabi_peas
n00b

Oddometer: 4
When I bent a shift lever on a previous bike, I replaced with a new one and hammered the old one back to use as a spare.
wasabi_peas is offline   Reply With Quote