Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #31
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
I understand that we're comparing very different bikes and I have learned the lesson of: you get what you pay for. So I definitely don't have any illusions about bikes being identical at such different price points.

However, there are needs vs wants, and there are certain things you MUST have for touring and some things that are nice to have. Since I never owned a bike like this before, I am not sure what is a NEED vs what's a "nice to have". From everyhting I learned so far, it appears there are some "nice to have" improvements on the tenere over the strom, however, it’s nothing that will change one's decision to take long trips.

I'm thinking of an example in car terms: corolla vs camry vs cadillac.
If we're talking the difference in comfort between the corolla and camry, it's fairly substantial. I'd pay the extra money for the camry.
If we're talking about the difference in comfort between the camry and a cadi, no way, not worth it in my book, primarily because it's just not NEEDED.

Either way, I agree that without a test ride it's nearly impossible to have a clear answer. I'll have to spare a saturday traveling to the nearest place that will let me get my feet wet on both bikes.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #32
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,364
Go over to Flea Market. Loaded Teneres starting at $13K.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #33
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Not sure if this matters to others, but to me it does. I'd pick the DL60 due to the fact that you can run regular, low octane fuel in it. The S10 premium, which over time, and miles can add up. Plus, many area's out in the boonies don't even carry high octane fuel.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #34
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
I meant to say a 1000 mile trip over several days, I'd never attempt that in oneday, that would be pure torture.
I did a Denver to Chicago trip on an '07 DL650 a few years back when I was 63. It had a DL1000 seat and an MP windscreen. It was a bit over the 1030 miles the GPS listed due to meal breaks and gas stops that weren't as close to the highway as I hoped. I was running ahead of a major thunderstorm. It was much more an adventure than torture.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
I meant to say a 1000 mile trip over several days, I'd never attempt that in oneday, that would be pure torture.
I've done 650 miles in a day, could have easily been more if my ride partner was a bit quicker at stops and/or rode faster ;)

As for touring two up, if you both euro-sized I doubt you'll even want more power than the DL - I am markedly less hooliganish with a pillion, though so YMMV.

If you get a test ride, do some slow parking lot/stop and go traffic stuff. Feeling "ok" in-gear at 45 mph is pretty easy for most bikes, but its the slow speed maneuvers that will drive you crazy, especially if you commute.

FWIW i'm pretty sure you can run the s10 on regular all day long.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #36
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
Quote:
So if you were to take a 1000 mile trip tomorrow, 1 up, through a lot of highways, cities and backroads (no off-road at all), for what reasons specifically would you chose the tenere instead of the strom, besides more power?! And would for any of you having to go on the strom be a deal breaker for doing the trip in the first place?
Australia, sometimes BIG gaps between fuel stops. I'd take the DL, just cruising at near legal speeds it's good for 500km/tank. The Tenere won't equal that :).

I've done the 1000 mile trip (well, around 100 miles short) on a DL, yes, I was a bit tried at the end, yes, my butt was glad to get off the bike. 10 minutes and a shower fixed all that and I rode back two days later.

Apart from the whole 'boring and ugly' thing the DL 650 causes very few buyers regrets. The S10 - well, you've got comments from a few people who found them a bit unwieldy - but still a great bike.

I nearly did buy an S10, but more range was a lot more appealing than power and weight that I didn't need. As others have said, find somewhere you can actually ride them both even if it means a days travel, one of them may just speak to you - decision's easy then.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #37
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
I own both bikes 06 DL650 and Super Tenere. I think the Tenere is worth every penny that it cost over the Wee. It is A so much better bike that I can hardy stand to be seen riding the Wee. I have ridden both of them on 1,000 plus mile days and the Tenere is just a dream bike come true. I don’t under stand anyone saying that the Tenere is tall geared, My son has a 990 R and he geared it down a tooth on the front sprocket, The other day we were side by side in first gear and we both took our hands off the throttles and he slowly pulled away from me. I have over 40,000 miles on my Tenere and I feel like I can't get enough of it. Awesome Bike!!!

I need to add The Tenere has a longer fuel range than the Wee I have run very hard for 266 miles non stop and used 5.5 gal.
I have run out of fuel on the Wee at 240 miles When they are loaded and pushed hard they don't do very good.

Tenere has great suspension
Wee not even close.

Tenere is stable in all situations.
Wee gets scary when loaded and pushed over 100 MPH

eemsreno screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 06:47 PM Reason: added
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #38
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,889
One of these days we will finally have a particular 650cc vs. any 650cc, or a particular 1,200cc vs. any 1,200cc thread we can discuss.

Until then, let us all compare a Geo Tracker vs. a BMW X6.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #39
Jaeger22
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Well I am not really sure I agree the the DL has a longer range. Remember that the S10 has a 6 Gal tank. True it gets less MPG but the difference in MPG is just about the same as the difference in tank size. And it can get colse to the same mileage if ridden carefully. It is just so hard not to use the extra power!
The good news is the OP is choosing between two of the best bikes on the planet IMHO. And I understand what he is going through. I just went from a DL-650 to the Supper Tenere after months of studying them and every other bike in the class. I built an elaborate decision matrix with value weights and every factor I could think of. As it evolved, the S10 and DL-650 came to the top every time and were neck and neck. As one poster said above, the Tenere is the better bike and the DL-650 is the better value. True words IMHO. I loved my 05 DL-650 but with it approaching 100K miles I thought it was pushing it to do yet another coast to coast with it next summer. Even though it has been super reliable, everything wears out. It was still fine for around town and I gave it to my son but for starting another 10K mile trip. . .not so much.
The DL is a very good bike for long distance riding. I took it from Orlando to Washington state 3 times and each time my wife flew out and we did a weeks vacation each time touring the West from California to BC Canada so it can handle two up well also. The only times I missed having a bigger motor was 1) Going up mountains out West at high elevation while loaded, and/or two up. 2) Passing two up, 3) all of the above at the same time!
Advantages of the DL other than the obvious price difference are, lighter weight, regular gas, and better mileage. And with the chain you can change gear ratios. I went up one tooth on the front for highway use.
Advantages of the Super Tenere, More power!, Shaft drive -I went through 6 or 7 chain sets on the DL at close to $200 each- With the larger motor, I do not feel any need to change the gear ratio. It lopes along on the highway and still has plenty of pull down low for stop and go. When you subtract the cost of the chain and sprockets from the fuel cost, there is little difference in the cost per mile. The biggest maintenance issue on any bike is valve adjustment. On the Strom it was 14.5K miles the Tenere goes 26K, almost twice as far. The Tenere has way better suspension and it really shines on rough roads and off road. WAY better than the Strom. I was stunned at how much better it feels in the rough stuff. It handles high speed on the interstate much better. The Strom will get you there and you can run 75 or 80 all day but it feels like it is straining, but the Tenere feels super solid and hardly working at that speed. And at those speeds, the Strom mileage drops dramatically and is about the same as the Tenere (Around 40). The Tenere has a lower CG and does not feel any heaver than the Strom accept getting it on and off the center stand (which comes standard on the Tenere). The Tenere has more room and I am on the large size (6-4, 210) so it fits me a little better.
All in all, I loved my Strom and would have been happy with another. But this time around I decided I want to get exactly what I wanted and that in the end was the Yamaha. So far, I do miss the Strom but I LOVE my Tenere and have no regrets. No bad choices here, get the one that stirs your soul!
Jaeger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #40
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
That's a lot of good info. I think I understand where the benefits of the tenere come in. Better weather protection and more forgiving suspension on the tenere are likely to play a meaningful role in my decision.

After owning 2 cruisers I know how seemingly small differences can sometimes turn out to be significant over longer rides. Gotta test drive them both. I'm on a mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post

IMHO, if money is not a motivating factor, then you should check out a Tiger 800.
My issues with the triumphs are:

Reliability
Availability of parts when they are needed
Service maintainance costs
Looks: the darn beaks are on all those bikes... you'll never catch me riding anything with a beak... including the '14 dl1000 if it keeps that stupid penguin looking beak that is shown on the concept.
and not to mention, the initial purchase price is a good bit higher.

I'll buy the tenere before the tiger.

MariusD screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 07:37 PM
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #41
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
One of these days we will finally have a particular 650cc vs. any 650cc, or a particular 1,200cc vs. any 1,200cc thread we can discuss.

Until then, let us all compare a Geo Tracker vs. a BMW X6.
Good idea. What is the range on the Tracker and will it run on regular gas?
Will a Tracker even run for 1,000 miles?
I've heard the wiper blades are a weak point.
Tracker is such a cool name. Does in in fact have tracking ability? Can you turn it off?
Actually I'm not really planning on tracking so I hate to pay for that feature.
Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #42
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I'll buy the tenere before the tiger.
Warm, warmer........
Old 12-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #43
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger22 View Post
The Strom will get you there and you can run 75 or 80 all day but it feels like it is straining
Oh, now that just ain't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
I can hardy stand to be seen riding the Wee
And that's just silly.

They can both be great bikes at the same time, y'know.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #44
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Australia, sometimes BIG gaps between fuel stops. I'd take the DL, just cruising at near legal speeds it's good for 500km/tank. The Tenere won't equal that :).

Pete
True, it can only manage 480.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #45
Taz1200

Oddometer: 176
Both bikes are great so just get the one you can afford and does what you want it to do! I had a BMW GS adv and liked it but sold it when the miles put me out of warranty...I bought a 2012 Vstrom just to use as a commuter and planned on getting bike like the Tenere for touring. I started touring on the Vstrom and it and it did everything I wanted it to...distance, dirt roads... easy maintance...etc... so cannot see spending the extra for a tenere at this point. I am sure I would love the Tenere as well but since the Vstrom has taken me on over 22k miles of adventures this year I will be staying with the Vstrom ....
Taz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote