Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #91
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFRTony View Post

I suggested to a friend that he consider the Yamaha after his FJR was totaled, and he loves it. Last Summer him and his wife rode out to Nova Scotia and his wife thought that it was more comfortable than the FJR. He has the seat set at the highest setting, and he thinks I should take it for a ride, but I keep resisting because I don't want a motorcycle payment right now.

When I am ready for a new motorcycle, I will be looking at the new Wee, the 2014 DL1000, and the Yamaha.
Initially I though the FJR was going to be my next bike. I really wanted to like it, but I guess me and sports bikes just don't get along and the sporty-ish seating position on the FJR killed it for me. I can understand why your friend likes the change and I completely agree with your decision NOT to test ride the tenere. I passed on driving my friends turbochanrged vette when I was finishing up my all motor mustang build for that same reason. I was happy with my car. I didn't want new ideas creeping into my head, and what I didn't know, wasn't gonna bother me at night.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #92
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
O.k. I'm a noobee here,but not to m/c s, maybe a dumb question but no one is mentioning a Dl1000.....wouldnt that be an option? I am interested in this thread because I am torn between an r1150, tiger, strom, f800, super T, that being said, this is very good information, very helpful....
The reason I am staying away from the DL1000 is because the 2012 DL1000 is the same one that was released in 2003 or thereabouts. It's the original desing on which suzuki didn't even fix the well known issues when they re-intorduced it again this year. Also, next year the 2014 will be available which will probably kill the resale value of the older model. I just want something fresher I guess. The DL1000 is still a very solid bike, it's roomier than the 650 and if it had been refined some I would have actually bought it, because I really liked the ergonomics of that bike.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #93
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
The reason I am staying away from the DL1000 is because the 2012 DL1000 is the same one that was released in 2003 or thereabouts. It's the original desing on which suzuki didn't even fix the well known issues when they re-intorduced it again this year. Also, next year the 2014 will be available which will probably kill the resale value of the older model. I just want something fresher I guess. The DL1000 is still a very solid bike, it's roomier than the 650 and if it had been refined some I would have actually bought it, because I really liked the ergonomics of that bike.
Roomier? Both bikes share the same frame and seats are interchangeable. Where is the extra room?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #94
Mr Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Are you sure "you are torn"?

I suspect you simply want a new bike and you would like all 5 of those.
That just makes you human.

No law against owning as many as you desire.
Very true.....however, economics, storage, and spousal intervention limits the size of my collection...or at least slows the growth a bit. Consequently, I have to decide on one....and I'm doin a lot of reading......
I can relate to mariusD.....savin $$ on the bike would give, in my case, more room to enjoy the trip but the Super T sure is a valid temptation...I dont know what I would do but I cant wait to find out......
Mr Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #95
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Roomier? Both bikes share the same frame and seats are interchangeable. Where is the extra room?
I'm comparing '12 vee and '12 wee. The wee was redesigned, something is different about it, it felt thinner and lighter than the vee. Maybe looking at the specs you can tell where the difference is coming from, but I definitely noticed the vee felt bigger and had more leg room. On the vee my knees were not as close together as on the '12 wee . They are definitely different enough to notice, the vee favors taller poeple.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #96
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Very true.....however, economics, storage, and spousal intervention limits the size of my collection...or at least slows the growth a bit. Consequently, I have to decide on one....and I'm doin a lot of reading......
I can relate to mariusD.....savin $$ on the bike would give, in my case, more room to enjoy the trip but the Super T sure is a valid temptation...I dont know what I would do but I cant wait to find out......
Definitely take your time deciding, especially since you have a bike already. I'm finding that when you upgrade, it's important to remember to address any significant shortcomings of your old ride, so that you again don't end up with a bike that doesn't quiet fit the bill. I rode my m50 into work this morning and was thiking how much fun I was having on this bike at only 50-70mph. But by the time I got to work (10 miles) I got off and felt a bit sore already (10 freakin' miles!!!, these roads are terrible! and so is the limited travel suspension of this bike...). This experience reminded me once again how important it is that the next bike have a much better suspension that takes off the edge off the never ending potholes and road imperfections, which otherwise beat you up in as short as a 10 mile commute.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #97
WFRTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
I'm comparing '12 vee and '12 wee. The wee was redesigned, something is different about it, it felt thinner and lighter than the vee. Maybe looking at the specs you can tell where the difference is coming from, but I definitely noticed the vee felt bigger and had more leg room. On the vee my knees were not as close together as on the '12 wee . They are definitely different enough to notice, the vee favors taller poeple.
The DL 1000 has a taller seat than the DL 650. The DL 1000 seat will fit on the old style DL 650 to make it more comfortable for long legged riders, but the tall seat for the '12 DL 650 is a factory option.
WFRTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #98
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
FWIW....I was in Kalispell MT and talked to six guys from LA area, all on V Stroms....5 650's and 1 1000. ALL of them said the same thing about the two bikes: none of them liked the 1000, in fact they all hated the bike, but LOVED the 650! The 1000 felt alot heavier + got lousier gas mileage.
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #99
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Sorry, I missed that. The 12 wee has a narrow tank and is narrower through the frame. It's easy to change the geometry. On mine I've lowered the pegs, added risers and Msr atv bars, and added a corbin seat. The bike is much more comfortable and all this cost me less than $300

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #100
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 973
It cost me closer to $600 to get a Russell seat and lower the footpegs. We're talking major comfort. I did have to lower the suspension 3/4" though as the seat is so tall.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #101
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Good stuff all. I must say that yellow strom does look comfy with the seat it has.

So just trying to get an idea of whats reasonable to pay for these bikes. I can get a new "12 blue tenere for $12k, maybe a hair better if i hagle, base model of course. Is that a pretty fair deal?

The "12 strom expedition with abs is $9k. Seem reasonable?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #102
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,806
Good Price!

On the S10, yes. Base Model? There is only one model.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #103
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
I heard there were twelve models.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #104
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Good stuff all. I must say that yellow strom does look comfy with the seat it has.

So just trying to get an idea of whats reasonable to pay for these bikes. I can get a new "12 blue tenere for $12k, maybe a hair better if i hagle, base model of course. Is that a pretty fair deal?

The "12 strom expedition with abs is $9k. Seem reasonable?
A new 2012 vstrom dl 650 standard (no bags), should be possible for less than 8k before TTL (good deal). Below $7500, a very, very good deal. Less than $7k before TTL, an awesome deal, you'd leave the lot in an equity position. If you pay over $8299.00 before TTL, you are getting ripped off to some degree. These bikes have been hard to find, so many have paid more than they'd like.

I paid $6995 used for my 2012 standard w/just 36 miles and only $95 for for a lifetime plate & $00.00 tax!!! Hooray for me!!

check this thread for prices
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...12-prices.html

For adventure models, use the same guide but factor in the difference in retail. Cheaper and better luggage & crash bars can be easily found.

Remember, motos cost less in the east than in the west.
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 09:32 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #105
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Well, I meant without any add ons like cases or any other farkles, just the bare bones bike. I didn't know if there were different packages available. For the strom, you can get the expedition package which is outfited with cases, guards and a better wind screen.

The base wee '12 is available for $7500 and the expedition version is 9k. These seem like fairly decent prices I suppose.

The '12 tenere for $12k is more money of course, but not x2 like normal sticker prices would suggest.