Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #121
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
To the op, just by both and tell me which you like better. I've got an 09 DL and I'm trying to decide if I should spend the $$$ and get the tenere.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #122
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
I'm throwing the Tiger 800 road into the mix. Since i do 0% off road i don't need the xc, and I can get this '12 roadie for $10,250 (before tax and other possible fees) so it puts it right smack in the middle between the vstrom @$9k (adventure model) and the Tenere (@$12k). The reason is I went to the local dealership this weekend with a few friends, got my arse on it, and generally thought I could live with it, and I really liked the fact that it feels very light and very manageable. AND they said they can setup a test ride. So next Saturday I will ride the Tiger and the Tenere. Haven't found a dealer that will let me take the vstrom out yet. But I'll definitely keep looking because I really want to give this bike a chance.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #123
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

@ the dealership picking up a 12 wee adventure =]

Besides many things that i just didnt need that the tenere had to offer, The final decision came down to engine heat actually. I live down south and didnt see being able to sit in traffic on the s10 in 100f heat on a daily basis. I'll be driving out of here with a 12 wee in just a little while
Old 03-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #124
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

With my trade in value of 2500 and no money down and zero interest, im at $117 a month. I love the wee already
Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #125
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
What happened to the tiger?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #126
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,001
Ok I don't know if I posted this in here.

I was shopping left over teneres hard, had the dash lined up to get one.
But the dealership gave me a bit of a runaround. So I walked the next day I found a slightly used 2012 dl650.
For like 3k off of the msrp.

So I picked it up. And I could have been more satisfied with my choice.
Sure it's not an adventure but I am able to fix it up like I want and not compromise.

I figured I'd ride the dl for a year or so and then if I still feel like I need one I will get a used ST.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #127
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

The tiger road had least favorable ergo's for me. Something just didn't quiet jive and the xc is too darn ugly.

OTD including my $2500 trade in, The tenere was going to be $12,300 (3.99% financing), and wee came out to $7k(0% financing). The wee had everything I needed, the tenere would have needed crash guards and side bags, premium gas and higher insurance cost. I just couldn't justify all the extra cost for my daily commute.

Since I bought without a test drive, I was nervous as hell. But the wee put me at ease as soon as I rode off. It's just soo smooth, agile, easy to navigate and so quiet that I felt like I scooted off on a magic carpet. The darn thing damn near drives itself! After 42 miles so far today I can tell the size, comfort, power, amenities are just what i needed. I know I'll find some flaws that will need to be addressed soon enough, I'm just very impressed with the package out of the box. And for $ 117 per month... that's less than my phone bill. lol!

I really want to sincerely thank everyone who posted in this thread all the really great and valuable advise. I actually re-read this thread front to back before I went in to talk to them today, and felt well armed to make a decision.

I really can't wait to get back on it tomorrow

MariusD screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 12:34 AM
Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 AM   #128
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
The tiger road had least favorable ergo's for me. Something just didn't quiet jive and the xc is too darn ugly.

OTD including my $2500 trade in, The tenere was going to be $12,300 (3.99% financing), and wee came out to $7k(0% financing). The wee had everything I needed, the tenere would have needed crash guards and side bags, premium gas and higher insurance cost. I just couldn't justify all the extra cost for my daily commute.

Since I bought without a test drive, I was nervous as hell. But the wee put me at ease as soon as I rode off. It's just soo smooth, agile, easy to navigate and so quiet that I felt like I scooted off on a magic carpet. The darn thing damn near drives itself! After 42 miles so far today I can tell the size, comfort, power, amenities are just what i needed. I know I'll find some flaws that will need to be addressed soon enough, I'm just very impressed with the package out of the box. And for $ 117 per month... that's less than my phone bill. lol!

I really want to sincerely thank everyone who posted in this thread all the really great and valuable advise. I actually re-read this thread front to back before I went in to talk to them today, and felt well armed to make a decision.

I really can't wait to get back on it tomorrow
Congratulations!

Bigger isn´t always better. The Wee has some definite upsides, that none of the +1000cc´s can offer. Though they´ll have their own strong points of course.

In fact, if I was to go round the world this minute with my missus to join me as a pillion, and had to get a new bike for the trip, I´d take the new Wee in a heartbeat. Riding solo, there´d be more variety to choose from, but for two-up (and all other things considered - many, many of them, purchase price being one very important factor!) the choice would be really easy for me at the moment.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #129
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Thanks bud!

This bike seems very well thought out. Did 80 miles today non stop without any major aches or pain. My palms/hands feel sowhat sore, which is a new sensation which I hadn't experienced on other bikes, and I found that if I didn't have my arms stretched out completelymy upper back between my shoulders was tensing up and starting to tingle a bit. It's probably just because I'm putting more pressure on the hands compared to my cruisers. It looks like there is room to turn the handle bars down a bit, so I may try that as a possible remedy.

Can't say the seat is perfect either. While it's better than my old bike. The bum is a bit sore too. May try a bead pad. I may look into the russel seat, people seems to have outstanding results with them it seems.

The best part is that my lower back is completely fine. It should have been hurting by now if I were doing the same cruise on my other bikes. It's really nice that I actually feel absolutely nothing in that area, because that would have been a pretty serious deal breaker for me.

All in all, the bike is frankly better than expected. There are minor comfort details to remedy but that's expected with any bike. I'm super glad there are no major issues.

Plan to travel New Orleans to Miami in a couple of weeks. It's about 1000 miles each way. I think it's very doable on this bike, especially if I can address a few of those minor issues. Should be interesting
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #130
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Handlebar/controls position can be altered a bit. Or the handlebar can be changed, too. Strangely my -12 model was a bit 'buzzy' @ 5000rpm at first, but I think its not like that any more. That might affect the riders hands on longer continuous rides.

The seat is now way better than previous models stock seat, that thing sucked. Still probably not perfect though.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #131
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Someone complained about the buffeting of the 2012 DL650 but I think it is bad on the ST as well. The DL it is easy rectified by removal of the screen, not so sure about the ST though.
Might go for the DL but if I find a great deal on the ST I might think about that one as well.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #132
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Wee vs S-10

I've owned a Wee Strom in the past. Loved the engine but the rest of the bike not so much. Spent a small fortune on windshields and madstad bracket to try to get the buffeting to go away. Only fix was to sell it.

Though I wanted a 1200GS until I put 4200 miles on one in NZ. That cured me.

Had a rental swap in South Africa when a 660 Tenere broke down. Only thing they had was a Super Tenere. Though I'd hate it. Next day called my wife to take a deposit in on last days of the U.S. pre-order period. Did 11,300 kms around Africa on it. Loved it just as much the day I got off it.

The S-Tenere is a great bike and a bargin compared to the other alternatives in it's class.

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #133
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Buffeting is a very personal thing, and literally dozens of things can affect it. Can't say from other peoples experiences, what yours will be. It can be an issue on any bike with a sizeable fairing & upright riding position. Generally the 'new' Wee seems to get less complaints of this, than the older one.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #134
daniuliupop
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wicked Congrats, Marius!

It happen' that i had both, the Wee (2008-2012- old version, of course) - and since last year bought the S10. I dare to comment in this thread because i rode the new wee and is about the same thing with the 2008 model i had -and trust me and take this is a very positive thing!!!
With my wee, i went from Romania (Cluj) where I live to the border of Iran, Armenia, Georgia and another trip last year from Romania to south Morocco - both trips over 8000 Km (5000 miles). Just have to admit - WEE WAS PERFECT! ;
ergo, gas economy, handling, enough power for 1up and above all...reliability. Not a single screw in over 20 000 miles!
S10...well another class, another story...at another price.
This bike is the superlative of almost every variable involved in this hobby! I had my own "research" before buying this bike last year and rode a lot of it's competitors, as: Ducati Multistrada, R1200GS and GSA, KTM 990 Adventure, Triumph tiger 800 etc. I know, it's not the most powerful, not the lightest but the mix of all variables make it the best for me. Comparing wee 650 and s10 is about the same thing as comparing a good and reliable mainstream Toyota with a premium and powerful BMW. You don't need most of the time the hole 250-300 horse power and stelar curving capabilities of the BMW, but you like the thing that they are there, ready to use. I admit I change the bike because I will ride more 2 up and after 4 seasons I just need a change and why not, an upgrade.
Again, congrats for your bike, It really is a great and versatile one and is a very good "value for money" bike.
daniuliupop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #135
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys. My reason for comparing the wee and the s10 is simply because I could get either, but felt like I probably didn't need the s10. So far I'm at 150 miles on the wee and im really pleased with it. Don't feel like it needs more power and the ergos seem almost spot on. What I really appreciate about it is how well the suspension absorbs crappy roads (compared to my previous rides, which were cruisers) and how nimble and easy it is to navigate here in the city. It's size and agility is really where I feel it is the slightly better choice than the s10 for my use.

I know I will get the itch for something better soon enough, since this is my first adv bike and it's a good one, I think I can be comfortable with making a 5 year commitment to it. Hopefully there will be something even more amazing than the s10 out by then, maybe something in the 1000cc range.

MariusD screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 06:44 AM