Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
shiftline OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Dual Sport Recommendation? (under 400cc)

Hey Guys. I currently have a 03 SV650 and a 89 TW200.. i'm debating selling both bikes and getting a newer dual sport... and am looking for recommendations.

Current bikes.

T-Dub (TW200)

SV650

If i do end up selling the two..

The new bike will be used a bit on the street but mainly just to get to trails. the majority of my riding is either trails or technical (over logs, through streams or just on random adventures)

riding conditions: tight trails. Logging roads. Streams. Mountains. Highways ect. Pretty much all around

The top few I have found so far that fit the requirements are a DRZ400, WR250R, CRF250L or KLX250.. (open to other options... my only real requirement is that is insurable and 400CC or less due to insurance prices.

Any opinions on the current options or additional suggestions is appreciated!

shiftline screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 09:28 PM
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
not to be a post cop.....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960597
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237

KTM 350exc? Pretty expensive though.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
shiftline OP
Adventurer

Hahaha I posted a message asking the mods to delete since it was the wrong section

KTM are very nice but ouch to the price.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Do you ride any pavement whatsoever? If so, you will miss that SV!

KTM200, GS500E, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
The KTM is pricey but that's a whole lot more bike than the WR - (which I would say is the best choice of the ones you listed).

My dad had a WR and it was pretty nice. Low maintenance and pretty comfortable for long distances once you get a better seat. Handled the freeway better than my KTM does.

On the other hand...those 350 KTM's are amazing and come standard with a lot of add-ons that the WR doesn't have. Everyone I've met that has a 350 says its the best bike they've ever owned.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
Hahaha I posted a message asking the mods to delete since it was the wrong section

KTM are very nice but ouch to the price.
I pickked up a used one with only 20 hours on the cheap

'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
I see the rest of your post now.

Are you in PA? Looks like it.

The WR is a higher performance chassis and motor. The KLX and DRZ are carb'd, which is fine, but if you like EFI - go with Honda or Yamaha.

If it were me, I'd get a KLX250S. It is a very light feeling bike, and is pretty affordable. I also like green.

KTM200, GS500E, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
xt250, klx250s, or drz400 (late model) - nothing exotic, hard to fix, high maint, or $$. Large dudes, two-up or epic rides may require a 650 DS at least.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Instead of wandering into the "which dual sport is best" morass, I will offer this advice. Sell the TW, get the dual sport bike that fits your budget and whimsy, but do not sell your SV650.

The SV is a kick ass bike, especially with a slip on exhaust in place. They sound wonderful, are punchy fast, do great wheelies, are generally indestructible, great track day bikes, relatively cheap and respond awesomely to modification. Suzuki followed that bike with the freakin' metrosexual "Gladius" thing. Your bike is a classic. Hang onto it forever
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
shiftline OP
Adventurer

I'm in BC canada. About 190-200lbs and 6' DRZ are nice. I rode a buddy's last summer but feels very high and heavy (then again I rode it after riding the little TW)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,564
I was gonna recommend that you put your location and terrain in your profile and initial post.

From what I know of the Pacific west, you'll want something capable of technical and tight woods with slippery traction. Weight is not good. Can you plate something like a WR450F in your province?

You could also pick up something like a used KTM, Husaberg, or Husky 250-500 4 stroke, and have something street-legal with some decent pep that is still well under 300lb. An older KLX250S would probably be a cheaper option though, at around 295lb curb, and you could opt for a 351cc big-bore kit if you wanted for more power.

I don't know that the revvy WR250R would be ideal for damp technical trails, as the KLX is a bit more of a low-down torquer and slightly lighter.

You could also try going more old-school, with a '98-'99 DR350SE. Swap on a big-bore for that too, if you want more power in a simple package.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
shiftline OP
Adventurer

Location and conditions added!

Its a pain to plate dirbitkes these days.. (used to be easy..) Now its much easier to find one already street legal.

I have have never looked into Husaberg or Husky.. ill check them out too!
I may have to dedicate some time to hit up all the bike stores and get a feel for the different bikes this week!

Ill have to see How much they would "trade in" my two bikes for and see if its worth going new and training or selling it and prob buy used.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #14
Gregulator
Loves the dirt

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Similar situation - the WR is great!

Haha, I had an '00 SV650 and an XT250 (my wife's) before getting my WR a couple months ago! The XT was a lot of fun and it works off-road, but for long trips the ergos (low seat means legs feel cramped) weren't the best. I still did 700 mile long-weekends with it, but at your size it may not be the best... otoh you are used to a TW200.

I still commute several times a week via pure slab so I'm probably going to keep the SV: with 36k miles my SV wouldn't sell for much and it's a boring commute anyway. However, I've done the commute on the WR and it's fine, and if you aren't using the bike for frequent highway transportation I doubt you'd miss selling the SV.

I finally got my WR off-road today for a couple hours at Walker Valley riding with two guys on dirtbikes. Forget damp - it was wet - and that place is plenty technical and tight. We went down one sidespur that petered out and coming back up the creek of a trail I was expecting to see salmon passing me ... but it did it! I was really impressed, the bike did everything I hoped it would even though I was seeing how the stock tires would be. I rode it 60 miles each way there and back, too. I'm up 4 teeth in the back to 47 and it was still fine for the hour on I-5 each way.

I looked at the exact same bikes you're looking at and I'm glad I picked the WR. I spent a day riding a DR-Z and really enjoyed it, but they're frankly old tech and it felt a lot heavier than my WR does. The KLXs sound like they are pretty good bikes but an awful lot of people append that with a big bore kit, and carbs don't excite me anymore. The CRF230 sounded a little too much like the XT250 (soft suspension, soft power). With the WR I get a truly modern bike including FI, with really long service intervals, that can do everything you'd ask of something street legal. I find myself going for pointless 30 minute rides at night just to get on it, doing parking lot drills, jumping curbs, and looking for dirt alleys to get a fix.

So two thumbs up for the WR from me, good luck with the choice and hopefully I'll see you at a NW hare scramble or something on your new dual sport.
Gregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Regarding the DRZ, they feel heavy because, well, they are. They also feel heavy because they are sprung soft. The DRZ does have good suspension, stiffer springs really lighten up the feel of the bike and of course enhance performance. I had a DRZ "S" and rode it like a dirt bike. Spent a lot of time and money making it that way, it served well and while it was heavy as an anvil, it was also reliable as an anvil.

Your needs sound perfect for a street legal KTM though. Find a clean used street legal 525 and rock on. Love the old big bore RFS KTMs. They have plentiful old school thumper power, very easy to ride.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote