Old 07-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #196
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
BST Replaced with the TM

Wow! What a difference...

Best money I spent on this bike in a while, for sure.

If the temps abate some tomorrow, I'll throw the pig up on the spit and remove her suspenders and replace them with the reworked stuff. If not, I may just go riding a bit.
Woohoo! Looking forward to the performance report.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #197
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
Just downloaded AirborneAndy's book, Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

Will offer up a report in a few days..

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #198
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Here is my set up when staying at Motels.

I thought it was going to be HOT, so I brought a little cooler. It was cool enough that the ice lasted all day. I do like cold beverages readily at hand though...

I got one of the first PC TM40's years ago and I've replaced two pilot jets due to running old fuel, the DR was my back up bike for years and it set way too much. Now its my main ride so it does not sit much anymore. I've replaced one leaky float bowl seal, I blame that on E-10 gas, it was hard and brittle. It's been very consistent as long as the fuel is fresh.

The Shinko 700/705 combo is still working well when I'm using the bike as a touring mount. The front above has 4,000 plus miles on it now, no cupping still. Its wearing much better than my last TKC... go figure. Cheap tire, great wear, decent mild all rounder.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #199
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

AirborneAndy's book

Just finished it.

Suggestion. Download it and read it asap. Cool pix and an easy read.

Andy, sir, you have my deepest respect for what you accomplished and the manner in which you did it.

Bravo to you

I don't like sand.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #200
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,982
Did a big single track loop on the southfork today.......met this girl face to face on the trail................

she had company.................

I was sitting on the dr, when I took these......a picture of the bike, after mamma and baby bear left

also stopped at the plane crash................

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #201
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
^^^Those fire trails are heaven...
Old 07-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #202
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 570
Hey guys, ok so I usally ride a 990 adventure but I longed for a simple, no problem bike to ride when I wasn't 2up with the wife. I started out with a clean 98 and I liked it so much I went a little crazy on parts to make her mine.
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #203
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
I have read all of your ride reports and they are all truly inspiring. Like you, I have been riding for many years, but to put 85,000 miles on your DR650 is Amazing. I have owned more than 20 motorcycles in my life, but I have to say that the DR650 is one durable machine.

Other than the usual maintenence, could you give us some idea of the things that broke, had to be replaced or repaired in all those miles, and what you mean by "did the top end once". Was that just rings and/or a piston, or a complete rebuild with head work done?

Great pictures and reports! Keep 'em coming.

Ride Safe,

Taz9
Thanks TaZ9. I have had some great opportunities. And like you I've had a more than a few bikes over the years but the DR650 is the only one that will go anywhere I want without costing a fortune which is great because I need all my money for the adventures. It's also as reliable as a claw hammer and nearly as simple so I can fix almost anything the does go wrong and do it with simple tools that I can carry, usually without the use of a repair manual.

The only real problem that I've had was self inflicted. If I had it to do over again, I would stick to the stock 525 chain and sprockets or high quality aftermarket 525 components made specifically for the DR650 - see this.

One other minor issue I had was with jetting at high altitudes during my South America trip. I had done the airbox mod and installed a larger main jet which worked fine from sea level up to about 8,000 feet. But the Andes mountain range is the longest in the world spanning the length of the continent with an average altitude of 13,000 feet. With stock jetting, extra holes can be drilled into the airbox and taped over - then the tape can be removed at high altitudes to increase the airflow to make up for the thin air. Since my larger main jet required maximum air intake even at low altitudes, there was no way to easily adjust for the thinner air at high altitudes.

I have had to replaced my starter and wheel and steering head bearings, other than that just normal stuff... oil, plugs, tires, chains and sprockets.

The top end rebuild probably didn't really need to be done at 42k. I could probably have just had the valve guides replaced. But I had rings installed too since the head had to come off anyway. No bore job though, just cylinder honing and the cost was minimal.

The book - Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #204
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Just finished it.

Suggestion. Download it and read it asap. Cool pix and an easy read.

Andy, sir, you have my deepest respect for what you accomplished and the manner in which you did it.

Bravo to you

Thanks AST236... glad you enjoyed it. It was certainly an adventure I will never forget and much more so because of all the folks here on this site that jumped in and helped out.

The book - Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #205
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Another mod...

So I'm doing a 1000 mile trip in a month, 2-up around upstate, NY. I just found out that my girlfriend hates the sargent seat on my DR .

She loved the V-strom, and its seat, and before I bought the Sargent (and sold the Vee) I fitted the DR with the v-strom seat. It does require some modification to the seat, but I think it can be done. Anybody try this?

2 biggest issued that I remember:

- The space between the front of the seat and the tank, I think I can fit a tank bag and make that space useful, or try to heat up the seat and bend it.

- The V-Strom seat is really wide... REALLY wide. it hangs off the bike left and right IIRC about an 1" on each side. I could probably make the plastics mount to it to make it seem more "Natural looking".
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #206
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
So I'm doing a 1000 mile trip in a month, 2-up around upstate, NY. I just found out that my girlfriend hates the sargent seat on my DR .

She loved the V-strom, and its seat, and before I bought the Sargent (and sold the Vee) I fitted the DR with the v-strom seat. It does require some modification to the seat, but I think it can be done. Anybody try this?

2 biggest issued that I remember:

- The space between the front of the seat and the tank, I think I can fit a tank bag and make that space useful, or try to heat up the seat and bend it.

- The V-Strom seat is really wide... REALLY wide. it hangs off the bike left and right IIRC about an 1" on each side. I could probably make the plastics mount to it to make it seem more "Natural looking".

Never tried it but it sounds interesting.

Plus, if you're lucky enough to have a gf who will ride 1000 miles on the back of a DR650 w/ you a little time spent keeping her comfortable is, in my humble opinion, time well spent.

If you make this work, post up a pic or two of the final product.

I don't like sand.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #207
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Gotta' love the DR650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneAndy View Post
Thanks TaZ9. I have had some great opportunities. And like you I've had a more than a few bikes over the years but the DR650 is the only one that will go anywhere I want without costing a fortune which is great because I need all my money for the adventures. It's also as reliable as a claw hammer and nearly as simple so I can fix almost anything the does go wrong and do it with simple tools that I can carry, usually without the use of a repair manual.

The only real problem that I've had was self inflicted. If I had it to do over again, I would stick to the stock 525 chain and sprockets or high quality aftermarket 525 components made specifically for the DR650 - see this.

One other minor issue I had was with jetting at high altitudes during my South America trip. I had done the airbox mod and installed a larger main jet which worked fine from sea level up to about 8,000 feet. But the Andes mountain range is the longest in the world spanning the length of the continent with an average altitude of 13,000 feet. With stock jetting, extra holes can be drilled into the airbox and taped over - then the tape can be removed at high altitudes to increase the airflow to make up for the thin air. Since my larger main jet required maximum air intake even at low altitudes, there was no way to easily adjust for the thinner air at high altitudes.

I have had to replaced my starter and wheel and steering head bearings, other than that just normal stuff... oil, plugs, tires, chains and sprockets.

The top end rebuild probably didn't really need to be done at 42k. I could probably have just had the valve guides replaced. But I had rings installed too since the head had to come off anyway. No bore job though, just cylinder honing and the cost was minimal.
Andy,

I agree that while the DR650 is not perfect, it is darn close for a strong, reliable adventure bike. I am on my second DR650 ( sold the first one to a guy that wanted to ride south of the border) and I find it perfect for exploring the Southwest, even at altitudes over 13,000 ft.

I have owned KLR's, DR650's, DRZ400's, the Honda XR250L, Super Sherpa 250, DRZ250, Honda Trans Alp, etc. I tend to leave my engines stock for ease of maintenence and reliability. I like the the Twin-Air Filters, and on a few of my bikes I have reduced the main jet one size down to help with the higher altitudes. My current DR650 is totally stock (Twin-Air Filter added) and it runs great at all altitudes. I plan to keep it and hope it lasts near as long as yours.

You can read some of my ride reports here at www.adventuremoto.us I started the site about seven years ago, but haven't updated it in a few years. I have done many more rides since then, but haven't had the time to get all the photos sorted. Maybe this year?

Thanks again for your great reports.

Taz9

TaZ9 screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 07:27 PM Reason: spelling
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #208
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Head exhaust weld gob?

Anyone have pic's of before and after of the head weld exhaust gob job? Thanks.
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #209
Toxic Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep View Post
Nice DR Mark. I too have the pro moto billet rack and kolpin fuel can. I can't figure out a way to mount it besides using my rok straps. What are you using?? TIA!
It started with buying another bracket from Amazon.com

Then drilling holes in it to match the holes in the PMB rack so it can be bolted down.

I did the same with some 1/8" stock aluminum for extra locked-downedness.

Then I cannibalized the lower chain roller elastomer to create a bumper for support when the rack is in the down position.

Removing the bolts and re-orienting the brackets into the up position allows for a duffel to be strapped down on the rack

I still want to change the english bolts to some hex head bolts, but other than that it's pretty good. Haven't figured out a hinge or quick-release method, but that would be awesome, too.

-Mark
Toxic Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #210
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Plus, if you're lucky enough to have a gf who will ride 1000 miles on the back of a DR650 w/ you a little time spent keeping her comfortable is, in my humble opinion, time well spent.
Yeah, she really needs her own DR.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote