ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #361
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Well, I would think the indicator lens would start to droop a little and it would be noticeable. Interesting, the GSXR can (that I have) must be pretty good at dissipating heat. I've never heard of the grab handles getting hot.

Do you still have the shield on the o.e. muffler? Is it possible the motor is running (really) lean?
This is my wife's bike but mine is virtually the same as this - I have the stock heat shield.



Anyone know if there's anything in the muffler mount which is supposed to stop heat getting into the frame? I'm going to check to see if the muffler mount on my bike might not have all the original parts in it.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #362
Bronco638
Nobody Home
 
Bronco638's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Itasca, IL
Oddometer: 3,509
I would think that if the grab handle was that hot, the turn signal stalk, lens, rear fender and side panel would all show signs of deformation from heat. Perhaps you're right, heat is transferring thru the mount. I believe both mounts (the one by the muffler and the one where the header attaches to the mid-pipe) are the same; there's a rubber insulator inside of a steel cylinder thru which a bolt passes.

That said, my muffler is directly bolted to the frame. However, both the muffler body as well as the attaching bracket are made of aluminum.

Kind of hard to see but like this:


Image courtesy of KienTech.
__________________
There are some simple thruths......and dogs know what they are - Joseph Duemer

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #363
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
I would think that if the grab handle was that hot, the turn signal stalk, lens, rear fender and side panel would all show signs of deformation from heat. Perhaps you're right, heat is transferring thru the mount. I believe both mounts (the one by the muffler and the one where the header attaches to the mid-pipe) are the same; there's a rubber insulator inside of a steel cylinder thru which a bolt passes.
I haven't had time to check the muffler mount yet but I'll try tomorrow, and next time I go out I'll use a thermometer to see just how hot it gets. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I did drop the slide needle down one notch recently.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #364
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Hey guys, I'm getting the worst type of electrical gremlin: intermittent no-spark on startup only. So far ive switched out the coil and CDI to no avail. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the pickup coil is going bad.

Basically the damn thing wont start or restart, hot or cold. Once it's running it's fine doesn't die on me but if i turn it off and try to restart it a few minutes later it wont start. No spark. But sometimes it will. Oy

Man, I hate to hear you're having problems with the DR Marek! I can't think of anything that would cause intermittent starts. Did you ever add an ignition switch like you wanted to, or is it the same push button ignition as when you picked it up?

About the only issues I can think of would be a no-start, not intermittent starts. If you haven't already, make sure those large Red wires with the quick release connections (behind the steering stem) are nice and tight.

Let me know if I can help with anything, that bike was a solid ride and took me a lot of places!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #365
Bronco638
Nobody Home
 
Bronco638's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Itasca, IL
Oddometer: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
I haven't had time to check the muffler mount yet but I'll try tomorrow, and next time I go out I'll use a thermometer to see just how hot it gets. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I did drop the slide needle down one notch recently.
Well, are there any other signs that the motor is running lean? For instance, white tipped or "melted" spark plug electrodes? Dull red glow on the header pipe?

Why did you lean the carb (by dropping the needle)?

Can anyone else offer any thoughts/ideas?
__________________
There are some simple thruths......and dogs know what they are - Joseph Duemer

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #366
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider
 
SteelJM1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson
Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Man, I hate to hear you're having problems with the DR Marek! I can't think of anything that would cause intermittent starts. Did you ever add an ignition switch like you wanted to, or is it the same push button ignition as when you picked it up?

About the only issues I can think of would be a no-start, not intermittent starts. If you haven't already, make sure those large Red wires with the quick release connections (behind the steering stem) are nice and tight.

Let me know if I can help with anything, that bike was a solid ride and took me a lot of places!
After doing some more research, I'm led to believe that the pickup coil (part of the stator assy) is at fault. I'm going to test it next chance I get and if that's the case, word on the vine is that the pickup coil from an LTZ400 is the same thing except the wire polarity is reversed. Not a big deal considering one doesn't need to buy a whole new stator assy.

Haven't gotten around to the ignition switch, but I'll check those wires out too, Greg. Already put a few hundred dirt miles on it since I got it, and the only other thing that went wrong was my own fault... know where I can get a set of rear spokes?
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #367
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,085
Just found this thread! Much nicer than TODR... it's WAY too active. I spent something like four MONTHS reading that thread initially, but haven't been back to it in a long time because it's so busy.

This pic is two years old, but it's one of the best ones of my DR...



Since that photo it's had a few changes... Barkbusters for handguards, Doubletake mirrors, cut the windscreen down 2" to cure buffeting, back to stock fender, sold fork brace, Denali LED lights, and a few other things I can't remember.

Bought it two years ago September with 8600 miles on it, now it has about 21k. It already had the FCR carb, GSX-R exhaust, airbox mod, weld removed from pipe, skidplate, highway pegs, Bill Mayer seat and OEM rack. I added new bars, 5" of rise (all on stock cables), the Screens For Bikes windscreen, HID kit, Givi boxes, Fork Skins, Intiminators, Vibranators, and a bunch of other little stuff.

Next up for it will be the ProCycle Fork and Shock "solution" kits (gold valves and springs), the ProCycle 790 kit and Stage 2 cam.. but with two other bikes that need mods too, I'm not sure when this will happen. :)

For commuting, I split that duty between the DR650 and my FZ1. The FZ1 has some annoying carb problems that I haven't been able to completely cure, so when I get frustrated with it, I switch to the DR, which runs perfectly.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #368
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 1,969
Welcome aboard Rob. Great looking bike you have there. Come on in and stay a while......
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #369
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,908
Wondered if you were still around, Rob...... Nice pic!
__________________
www.dualsportmoto.com
2005 DR650 2003 DRZ-250
2013 HD Road King '73 Hodaka Wombat

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #370
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Wondered if you were still around, Rob...... Nice pic!
Thanks! Yeah I'm still here... I don't post a whole lot. I've found there are a lot of abrasive personalities that will jump your crap any chance they get, so anymore I just post in a few places. Plus I've been riding my KLX250S quite a bit lately, since it's much better at technical off-road riding.

I've actually been starting to take the DR off pavement a little more, since it's becoming easier to handle thanks to experience with the KLX. The DR is still my most favorite of the three, though. It's a model of simplicity. But I worry what Suzuki is going to do to it when it gets its inevitable refresh in the next year or two.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #371
wncstrada
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 88
Pringle Petcock Question

I've got a question for you folks running a pringle petcock on your tank. I've got a slightly odd setup on my 06' with a pringle petcock on a stock tank. I recently ran out of gas in the "on" position, switched over to reserve and found that I had very little additional gas. How much additional range or gas do you folks have when you switch from "on" to "reserve"? Thanks!
wncstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #372
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
After doing some more research, I'm led to believe that the pickup coil (part of the stator assy) is at fault. I'm going to test it next chance I get and if that's the case, word on the vine is that the pickup coil from an LTZ400 is the same thing except the wire polarity is reversed. Not a big deal considering one doesn't need to buy a whole new stator assy.

Haven't gotten around to the ignition switch, but I'll check those wires out too, Greg. Already put a few hundred dirt miles on it since I got it, and the only other thing that went wrong was my own fault... know where I can get a set of rear spokes?
Well, that is good news... I really hope it's a simple issue to solve! Do report back, I'd be interested to hear that you've taken care of the problem.

Spokes are going to be tough, since the spokes on the rear wheel are a combination of DR650 and DR350 parts. Have you considered sending the wheel to Woodys Wheel Works in Denver? I'm sure they could fix you up, probably replace all the spokes so it all looks right.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #373
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncstrada View Post
I've got a question for you folks running a pringle petcock on your tank. I've got a slightly odd setup on my 06' with a pringle petcock on a stock tank. I recently ran out of gas in the "on" position, switched over to reserve and found that I had very little additional gas. How much additional range or gas do you folks have when you switch from "on" to "reserve"? Thanks!
I rarely get more than 20 kms, on reserve. 12 miles, give or take...

And it's a Pingle, not Pringle. Pringle is a lousy chip.

Wikipedia: Pringles is a brand of potato- and wheat-based snacks originally developed by Procter & Gamble. Pringles are sold in more than 140 countries[1] and have yearly sales of more than US$1 billion
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #374
plutonic
Banned
 
plutonic's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA-Budapest, Hungary
Oddometer: 3,575
Hey everyone,

I got a deal that I could not refuse, on this '97 model with 3800 miles, today. I had a DR about 12 years ago and I loved it, so I'm really happy that I'm back in the club again.


plutonic screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 09:30 PM
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #375
Mercenary
Mindless Savage
 
Mercenary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Ft St John, BC Canada
Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonic View Post
Hey everyone,

I got a deal that I could not refuse, on this '97 model with 3800 miles, today. I had a DR about 12 years ago and I loved it, so I'm really happy that I'm in a club again.

That is one nice looking DR. Congratz on the find
__________________
2008 DR 650
We can handle it....We're Canadian
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014