Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #616
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Hey guys...my Acerbis tank for my bike came in this week and while I have the tank off I want to run some power outlets for GPS, heated gear/grips, charger for iPhone. How do you all manage the few watts we have available and which connectors to you advocate? Cig lighters for gear and phone plus toggle switch for grips? I revisited the older posts with the dash pics, what would you do different if you could change anything?
I much prefer SAE connections from the battery, then I can plug anything with an SAE connector to that, and use the one on the bike to charge the battery in the off-season.

So I attach the Battery Tender/SAE cable right to the battery, and use a three way lighter outlet splitter with the SAE connector on a two foot long cable, and when I plug my iPhone or Scala charger into the splitter, I put the whole kit into my tank bag to stay safe and dry.

I do have a separate cable for my gps up near the handlebars as well. Both my own and my wife's bikes are set up this way. It gives us a lot of flexibility in what we can plug in...
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #617
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,062
Quote:
Hey guys...my Acerbis tank for my bike came in this week and while I have the tank off I want to run some power outlets for GPS, heated gear/grips, charger for iPhone. How do you all manage the few watts we have available and which connectors to you advocate? Cig lighters for gear and phone plus toggle switch for grips? I revisited the older posts with the dash pics, what would you do different if you could change anything?
I put an on/off switch on the headlight so I can turn it off to save juice. The high beam
works with stock switch but I mounted another switch on the inside of the heaflight shroud
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #618
russt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Do you have a picture you can post showing the wires you tied the switch into, and how you mounted it on your shroud?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I put an on/off switch on the headlight so I can turn it off to save juice. The high beam
works with stock switch but I mounted another switch on the inside of the heaflight shroud
russt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #619
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
...what would you do different if you could change anything?
i initially installed the big groovy HDB top clamp & power & switches & doodads, but really all that just became a hassle to use.

my current setup on both bikes is simply a battery tender dongle hanging on the side of each and an assortment of adapters to plug in stuff, like GPS power, cig lighter, jumper cable setup, etc.

i came to realize that less is more in this case.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #620
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
i initially installed the big groovy HDB top clamp & power & switches & doodads, but really all that just became a hassle to use.

my current setup on both bikes is simply a battery tender dongle hanging on the side of each and an assortment of adapters to plug in stuff, like GPS power, cig lighter, jumper cable setup, etc.

i came to realize that less is more in this case.
Thanks - I'm a less is more kinda person. I don't want wires and zip ties cluttering everything - I want something small and functional into when necessary.

I don't know about turning off my headlight - I think law says I have to run one even during the day. (I wish the DR had the alternator of the KLR!)
HappyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #621
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I did something similar adeed a switch and used a single 5 wire relay for both beams. Works great and the lights are much brighter, the downside is that it is now possible to leave the headlight on in error...will see how it goes, may add a second relay. Another very cheap and easy way to add headlight switching is at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506789 did this on a non DR and it worked great.
A couple of photos of my DR setup...

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #622
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by russt View Post
Do you have a picture you can post showing the wires you tied the switch into, and how you mounted it on your shroud?

Thanks!

Here is a picture, on the left side where I can switch it if need be when riding. When the switch is off there is no light at all, when the switch is on the high beam is on if switched to high. I guess if I ever got pulled over for not having a light on I could say my low beam burned out. I like being about to switch it off like when in the garage, starting, or on dirt but staying warm. The switch is a flat rocker with three prongs on the back but I used only 2, can't see what I connected to )-: Just drilled a hole for the switch in the support part of the shroud above and forward of the screw on that side.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #623
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,423
BergDonk (Steve) is making counter-shaft seal retainers. His first production run is complete and spoken for. I would like one and if 5 others are interested, I'll be point man for another 6 units.

I am not going to require any up-front money as long as your word is good. Feel free to reply here or send a PM to me. I'll keep a running tally of who's in and once we have (at least) 6, I'll place an order with Steve.

The price will be $40 for the retainer plus a portion of what it costs to get them from Oz to the US and then from me to you. I would imagine ~$50?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.

Bronco638 screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 12:34 PM
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #624
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Cool, how much are these?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #625
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Dodge
Cool, how much are these?
I edited my post but I'm thinking $50-ish.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #626
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
..I wish the DR had the alternator of the KLR...
look into the stator mod, basically you change the wire arrangement of the stator and increase the output by alot. and you'll get more available power output at lower RPMs.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #627
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
look into the stator mod, basically you change the wire arrangement of the stator and increase the output by alot.
and you'll get more available power output at lower RPMs.
I think you mis-read that.

Procycle:
Peak voltage is down about 1 volt.
The stock stator makes peak voltage right around idle.
The modified stator makes its peak voltage at around 2000 rpm.
If you're stuck in traffic or idling along on a slow trail shut off the extra lights, heated vest, etc. or you may drain the battery.

From here, post #7:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/755...7#entry7722957

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #628
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
The price will be $40 for the retainer plus a portion of what it costs to get them from Oz to the US and then from me to you. I would imagine ~$50?
I'd put my name in for 2, to Canada. Sent a PM.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 05:23 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #629
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,836
Ditto on 2 - PM sent. I usually bulletproof my son's DR as I do mine. Around 50 each is good for me.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #630
devans101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Retainer

PM sent. I'm good for one.
devans101 is offline   Reply With Quote