My DR:

2006 Buell XB12X Ulysses
Alien VFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #632
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,895
My wife's DR in front; mine behind.

Our latest farkle has been a couple of Pelican boxes so we can carry cameras, etc, in relative safety. And my tools sit on top of the box. Haven't lost them yet, in three rides.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #633
DocSuzuki
Wrench = Scalpel

Oddometer: 74
Talking

Gday ADVer`s! I`ve been a 2 year lurker here, especially Ride Reports and the DR threads, thought it`s about time to show up on the radar.

My DR and I have been through a lot together, including having an argument with a Mitsubishi at an intersection, which required a new frame (hence the non purple paint for a 97), forks and front wheel for the bike, and tendon reattachment surgery for my hand. On the flipside we`ve had some memorable rides through every kind of weather barring snow.

Late last year the base gasket gremlin showed up, so i kicked it`s arse, and while the engine was down i treated the big girl to a fresh set of rings (even though it didnt need them, at 29 500ish km) and i unleashed the wet n dry paper and polish to the ports and BST carb`s throat. Reseated the valves by hand, new stem seals as well. She came to me already wearing a Twin Air filter, so i butchered the airbox to Keintech (perhaps a tiny bigger?)spec to let `er really suck and blow. A new Staintune found it`s way on too eventually. After playing with the jet drills and a dyno run at a recent rally, the overall result is 35 bhp and a `peak` of 60 ft lbs. The pants dyno tells me that i`ve done good things, as the other DR 650 in the family felt to have more grunt than mine. Now mine will eat the 11000km 03 model. (That was dyno`d right after mine, 28 each of bhp and ft lbs) Not bad for a first time 4 stroke rebuild!

I recently picked up a blackmagicvoodoo FCR off a YZF 426, and given that the polish job too. Still have to clean and reassemble it. Right now i`m adapting up a set of 93 RM 250 USD forks, turns out it is essentially a bolt in swap. No real bearing issues, axles are essentially identical. Only fab work is the obligitory caliper adaptor plate.

Anyway, i hear you snoring, so i`ll end here...... with a couple pics.

Hope to share cool stories, tips and tricks with you!
P.S I have more pics, but too lazy to upload from my camera for now. These ones were on my Applecore Iphone.

Sniffing CCI arsecrack since 1997
DocSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #634
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Welcome! Sounds like some love went into the DR. Have to wonder though....the BST is a Mikuni if memory serves and the pic is a Keihin. FCR 39 maybe?

Look forward to more pics of your projects and outings.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #635
JTB488
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Looks like he mentioned picking up the FCR from YZ.
JTB488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #636
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Right you are, sir. Thx - don't know how I missed that.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #637
DocSuzuki
Wrench = Scalpel

Oddometer: 74
You are correct Trophy, a LOT of lovin, lots of sweat, and a bit of blood on the frame (which is still there!) has gone into this. This garden variety road / trail is my most prized possession, even though i also have some sought after classic trash. By no means is it a lovely KTM or Husky exotica (mmmmm, Husky....tasty!) but i have a Suzuki dealer up the road for supplies, and you need no less than a car to kill them!

Regarding the carb, yes the BST is a bargain bin version of a Mikuni, and the Keihin pictured is an FCR 39.

Oh, i can`t forget, thank you for your welcome!

May all of our DR tractors give many more years of service.

The Doc

Sniffing CCI arsecrack since 1997
DocSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #638
mikeb53
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Thanks - I'm a less is more kinda person. I don't want wires and zip ties cluttering everything - I want something small and functional into when necessary.

I don't know about turning off my headlight - I think law says I have to run one even during the day. (I wish the DR had the alternator of the KLR!)
I use my battery tender cable and a USB adapter that plugs in to that.
Between the adapter, a 3-way battery tender splitter and a 36" battery tender extension cable, I can run my GPS, iPod and cell phone all from one plug-in connection.
Been using this set up for over a year now and had no problems. I like this because when I don't need it, I can unplug 1 connector and it's all gone. Nothing left for crud and moisture to get in to.
I picked up my adapter and all the cables I needed on-line from http://www.americancrossroaders.com.
They have a line of adapters and cables that met all my needs.
mikeb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #639
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Hey guys...my Acerbis tank for my bike came in this week and while I have the tank off I want to run some power outlets for GPS, heated gear/grips, charger for iPhone. How do you all manage the few watts we have available and which connectors to you advocate? Cig lighters for gear and phone plus toggle switch for grips? I revisited the older posts with the dash pics, what would you do different if you could change anything?
My gps and heated grips are wired to the spare connector near the head light. SAE cord directly off the battery comes out at the seat's left front. I use a 3-way cig plug to SAE adapter for charging phones, ipod and etc. The 3-way goes in a tank bag when traveling, I can charge things while riding that way. Or, I sometimes charge my phone off the battery when camping. The bike makes plenty of power for that. Add a heated jacket and things get tight. I installed a 35 watt HID head light to save on power. Works fine for me no charging issues. In the winter with the heated stuff on and when its daylight, I can turn off the head light and have plenty of power.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #640
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Anyone know how much heated gear the stock DR650 can handle? Now that it's getting colder, we're not riding the DRs as much as we'd like since the alternative, our F650/800GS BMWs, have Heat-Trollers on them. So if it's chilly, it's the BMWs we go out on.

But my wife and I each have electric vests which use about 50 watts, and if the DRs could handle that load, I'd just wire them in with remote on/off switches and save $160 in not having to buy more Heat-Trollers.

Having just bought two GoPro Hero2 units, the budget for discretionary stuff is blown for a while.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #641
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
I run a jacket liner with no issues. Plus I save power with a HID head light. I have enough power for the heated grips too. But I usually only run the jacket liner on a low setting, its does a good job.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #642
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,032
When I fitted my LED driving lights, 2 x 30w, with stock 60 w high beam and supposedly 36 w heated grips all on my battery voltage dropped a bit. Can't remember exactly, by my interpretation was that I was on the limit.

I've since fitted a 35 w HID and one of the LEDs is now 20 w and all good.

All you have to do is wire it all up, and check battery voltage as you progressivley turn it all on. Once the charging system can't cope, the indicated voltage will go down.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #643
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
All you have to do is wire it all up, and check battery voltage as you progressivley turn it all on. Once the charging system can't cope, the indicated voltage will go down.
Good idea - will wire in a multimeter for the test phase.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #644
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
I run a heated jacket (77w) and heated gloves (27w). With stock lighting the bike can't really handle both. I run the gloves on high and the jacket turned down a little. I have one of the digital voltmeters from Procycle installed and just watch the voltage when I'm running the heated gear. The voltmeter is very easy to install and I wouldn't really want to be without it when trying to run extra stuff on a bike like this with limited capacity.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #645
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I run a heated jacket (77w) and heated gloves (27w). With stock lighting the bike can't really handle both. I run the gloves on high and the jacket turned down a little. I have one of the digital voltmeters from Procycle installed and just watch the voltage when I'm running the heated gear. The voltmeter is very easy to install and I wouldn't really want to be without it when trying to run extra stuff on a bike like this with limited capacity.
Thanks, this is useful information. I might invest in a couple of those digital voltmeters. My F800GS alternator died last Summer, stranding me, and a voltmeter would have warned me of imminent failure while I was still near civilization.