ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw scout View Post
DRZ 400
Or a plated XR400 if you can find one.

I would think at your size any dual sport 250 would be pretty boring (for anything other than just trails) after a few rides and you would want to move up soon.
Everyone is right on with these suggestions. I also have a KLX250s and love it for the trails and dirt roads I ride on. Being 240 lbs and "dropping" I don't think it would have enough go juice for you. I am 5'11" and weigh 170 lbs and it does fine for me but would not much more weight on it.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
A stock KLX 250s is pert tame, WR 250R isn't any lighter than a 400 DRZ. I would think that you would be better off on the DRZ. Drop the counter shaft sprocket down a tooth on the KLX and two on the DRZ. There are some nice Suz 350 DRs on CL every so often, air cooled and a button.

imho
Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,975
Fp250

I have an R1200GS that I love ( 50 mpg and 100hp) and a DR350 that is a great bike and I would say to get a 250 and set it up as Fisherman has set up his ( search for Fisherman or FP250 ( FishyPants250) ).
The six speed and fuel injection with the shorter, wider tires he put on makes it extremely versatile.
I never thought I would be just barely keeping up with a 250 cc single cylinder bike at 95 mph on pavement, while riding my 1200.

For used bikes the DR350 with the six speed is a good choice and anything with a five speed means you have to settle for high end or low end. THat would be the heaviest bike I would buy to start out.
If it won't do 60 mph for extended times and still do trails, don't buy it, it is a pig, and here are lots of pigs out there.

Idarider screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 06:24 PM
Idarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
nw-outlaw OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
In the research I have done it seems the general opinion is the drz 400 is good offroad but not great on the highway, and the dr650 is good on the highway but not great offroad. I dont see myself doing any crazy singletrack/technical stuff for a while, will the 650 be fine for just exploring logging roads and getting me where my truck cant? Also, i see the 650 weighs about 360 pounds...if i tip it over can i get that right side up by myself? Im not a weakling, but I dont look like shwarzenegger either.
nw-outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Crash.Gordon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
DRZ400e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw-outlaw View Post
I am intrigued by the drz400 and the dr650....The price and weight seem to be about the same though, which would serve a large beginner like myself better? Also, would the klx 250 be too small for my 240 pounds?
Go with the DRZ400e hopefully you could find a plated dirt model (the 400s is the street model) I could not be happier. The E model has a better carb, is lighter and generally better on single track. I only started riding DS last August and this bike is great. it is well mannered on the trails, light enough to toss around but will have all the power you want. maybe some springs and revalving of the forks for your size weight and you'd be stoked. you will not out grow it and have to just buy a new one in a few months (happened to me I bought a DR200 and out grew it in less than a month)
Don't worry about it being a 5 speed, I put on a smaller rear sprocket (from 47 to 44) and I was able to go 80mph if I wanted. I geared it back up for the trails again but I can still go 60 all day long (faster if you need but I don't like revving that high).

Perfect 1st bike, won't have to replace it. Later you may just score a road/touring bike for long pavement FS road en-devours.

Cheers-
Crash.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #21
bscman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I'm 5'11" and 200lbs.
I have a DR200, an XR400, and an XR650R.
The DR200 and XR400 are plated for street.

I find the DR200 to be a blast when exploring overgrown gravel roads, or when I'm putting around town.
It will do 73mph, barely...but anything over about 45mph and you get negatively affected by ANY hill or headwind.
Wheelies in first are possible, and in 2nd with some vigorous clutching.
The suspension is a bit soft for agressive offroading, but the low seat height makes it easy to manuever. I've led the pack down the trails at walker MANY times on this little bike because I can throw it around...and you really don't need a LOT of power in the tight woods.

The XR400 has PLENTY of torque for wheelies up to 3rd/4th gear...and will lug down like a tractor and still pop the front end up quick if you need to on the trail. It's manageable size means it isn't tiring in the tight trails. Plenty of poop to keep up on the highway and have a lot of fun around town. The only problem I've ever had is trying to get my leg over the seat after a LONG, LONG day of riding.

The uncorked XR650R is a PIG...it will be plated soon.
It's seen it's share of "gray area" riding gravel roads, and it surely shines here..as well as on the highway.
It has also spent a LOT of time at walker valley. However, it's a very tiring beast to take into the tight woods. While the weight doesn't seem much more than the XR400...the weight is higher up, and the extra wheelbase is NOT an advantage...so it feels much bigger and heavier.
The other downfall is a severe inability to keep the front end on the ground...it's gravity defying! Seriously.
65rpm lugging it down till it rattles in 3rd gear, hit a bump and accidently give it 1/8th throttle and you're riding a unicycle. You need EXCELLENT throttle control on this bike to ride the tight woods...

If you are absolutely new to riding...a 250cc would be great.
60mph is easy (find one with a 6spd, you'll be much happier than a 5spd). I can get 200miles out of my DR200 with ease! You will find road roading a bit unpleasant, though, if you find yourself riding with a group of larger bikes.

If you have a little experience, or think you might take longer trips on the highway...go for a 400ish class bike.
The extra power will make riding a LOT more fun, but still not too much power to get yourself into trouble.
Best part of all--these are very capable and manageable bikes in the tight woods. In my honest opinion, a 400ish CC dual sport is the perfect bike...

BUT, if you find yourself wanting to do long trips or have the need for saddle bags....You'll need a 650+...
You may as well kiss some of the tight, technical woods riding goodbye though.

Long story short...I vote you find yourself a used DR400 or a plated XR400.
VERY torquey, very forgiving powerband, with long-lived motors that will do most things very well.

Wow, sorry for being so long winded.
bscman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
All the advice you need you need has been stated. I'm 6'3" 280##. My first dirt/adv bike was an xrl.

and now....

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=6092

2005 XR650L
Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw-outlaw View Post
In the research I have done it seems the general opinion is the drz 400 is good offroad but not great on the highway, and the dr650 is good on the highway but not great offroad. I dont see myself doing any crazy singletrack/technical stuff for a while, will the 650 be fine for just exploring logging roads and getting me where my truck cant? Also, i see the 650 weighs about 360 pounds...if i tip it over can i get that right side up by myself? Im not a weakling, but I dont look like shwarzenegger either.
I've picked up a 600 lb bike that I let tilt over in the garage (no damage to anything except my pride), and it can be done, on pavement, with the proper technique and some adrenaline. I've also picked up my 260 lb Honda CRF230L out in the boonies, and after a couple of times it gets damn hard. After a half dozen times, it's very damn hard indeed.

If you're new to riding and are going to be riding off-road, you ARE going to fall, even on forest roads... probably not while riding but while stopping. You will be picking up your motorcycle. It will be heavy, and if it can slide around it is heavier yet.

IMO the advice to start with a 250cc dual sport is spot-on. You have admitted you are overweight and not in the best of shape... a 350 lb bike falling on you hurts a lot more than a 250 lb bike. The best advice that was ever given to me concerning motorcycles was to start with something that was fairly light, not too fast, not too powerful, and develop the basic skills. I started with an old Honda CT90 two years ago, and just brought home a new FJR1300 today... after moving up to a 230cc dual sport, then a 680cc road bike, and riding both for the past year. I have few worries about being proficient on the FJR1300, even though I know I need to put some miles on her to get used to riding such a big and powerful machine. And I still have all of the other motorcycles, and ride all of them but the CT90 daily (anyone want to buy a '70 K2 with 1500 miles?).

I'm passing on the same advice to you, in the spirit it was given to me (I was also overweight and out of shape, and have lost 20 lbs and do lots of bodyweight calisthenics daily). Don't be in too much of a hurry to get your last bike. Instead, enjoy your first bike and get something easy to learn how to ride on.
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #24
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
WR250R, DRZ400, DR650, XR650 or KLR650 would be where I'd be looking personally. If not doing longer distance, or having to ride far to the trails, then I'd skip the 650's. Or if you really want to play it safe at first, look at the smaller bikes still like an XT225 or KLX250.
You would not go wrong with any of these bikes.

2001 KTM 640 ADV....most versatile
1999 KTM 300 EXC....woods weapon
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #25
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,294
XR400. XR400 XR400 or WR250R. DRZ400 is meh ok. I have rode a lotof bikes. I wouldnt bother with any 250 other than the WR250 R/F. DR650 is the only noob 650. DRZ feels way heavier than WR250 when you have tried both.

Bottom line '- if you dont mind kicking - XR400
If you do - WR250

n16ht5 screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 11:48 PM
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #26
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazekan View Post
All the advice you need you need has been stated. I'm 6'3" 280##. My first dirt/adv bike was an xrl.

and now....

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=6092

2005 XR650L
24mm TSE? Nice bike
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #27
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsleft View Post
A stock KLX 250s is pert tame, WR 250R isn't any lighter than a 400 DRZ. I would think that you would be better off on the DRZ. Drop the counter shaft sprocket down a tooth on the KLX and two on the DRZ. There are some nice Suz 350 DRs on CL every so often, air cooled and a button.

imho
I figured there must be more of a difference between the two bikes so I checked, mostly using # from mfg web stats and top speed

Wet weight Wr=295, DRz 317 ( .5 gallon more gas)
Tranny WR 6 speed, DRZ 5 speed
WR= Fuel injection, DRZ =Carb

So only 15 lb lighter ( not much) , an extra gear and fuel injected, better economy, lower hp

For me the fuel injection alone makes the deal and the extra gear means you don't have to have that extra set of sprockets , or sprocket change that several people have indicated are needed with the DRZ.

As a DR350 owner I know I would really like the fuel injection and liquid cooling though I will probably just keep what I have and put the money into a 2013 liquid cooled R1200GS.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #28
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsleft View Post
A stock KLX 250s is pert tame,....
Tame is good
Lame is bad
Don't want to be lame?
Stick with tame.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #29
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,263
The Yamaha has a 350w alternator which works well with heated gear, so if a large part of your riding is cold weather dual sport, it shines there; with some hillbilly engineering, you might be able to plug a toaster into it

It is heavy, and you end up winding it up tight like a two stroke on trails because of the power delivery characteristics. If you do any singletrack with lots of up & down, you will be into both sprockets and a chain to get it set up and useable for that. For graded forest roads and pavement, it's geared fine stock.

The FI is nice, but I have never had much heartburn from carbs, so I don't think about it much; the wr early models[ 2008]
had a fairly high rate of pump failure, so changing it is good. Between the yam & the drz, given what I have seen people do with drz, I wish I had one of each.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #30
taranaki
statale

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
The Yamaha has a 350w alternator which works well with heated gear, so if a large part of your riding is cold weather dual sport, it shines there; with some hillbilly engineering, you might be able to plug a toaster into it

It is heavy, and you end up winding it up tight like a two stroke on trails because of the power delivery characteristics. If you do any singletrack with lots of up & down, you will be into both sprockets and a chain to get it set up and useable for that. For graded forest roads and pavement, it's geared fine stock.

The FI is nice, but I have never had much heartburn from carbs, so I don't think about it much; the wr early models[ 2008]
had a fairly high rate of pump failure, so changing it is good. Between the yam & the drz, given what I have seen people do with drz, I wish I had one of each.

Bingo! I like the WR for its off-roadability and engineering and the DRZ for its grunt and relative comfort. For me the KLX is the compromise and cheaper than either. But if I were a bigger fella I'd probably go with DRZ (maybe second-hand) and call it a day.