ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #31
Inspector
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
A lot of good info here, go figure
Inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #32
nw-outlaw OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
A lot of good info here, go figure
Need all the advice and opinions i can get!
nw-outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #33
Crash.Gordon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
WR250r

Before I got the DRZ400e, the wr250r was it, the top of the list. However when reality and wife/kids/new baby on the way, the realization that you can't by a used 250r for much less than what they go for new. too expensive, you can get an '08 for $4,300 but it will have more than 25,000 miles on it. (I wanted '08 or newer because those models have the FI)

I got my DR200 for $2150 and I waited for like 5 months before I finally honed in on the XR400r or the DRZ400, I actually got a plated DRZ400e for ...$2150! and then I sold the DR200 for $2300. the DRZ won out because of electric start, more power, liquid cooled, etc.

Don't spend too much, people want way too much for their DS bikes, the wr250r resale price is just too high (it's built well, tight tolerances, Fuel Injection, but it is heavy for a 250 and cost a lot). I bought mine in February and with less demand in winter you can have a good bargaining chip to get a better deal.

plated DRZ400e,
plated XR400r you won't go wrong or have to get a bigger bike in a month.
Crash.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #34
Inspector
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw-outlaw View Post
Need all the advice and opinions i can get!
Advice is good! Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one
every bike has it's use, you just need to find one of the many for yours

*stay away from the "I ride this, it's the only good bike, you need one just like it"!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #35
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,295
" you can't by a used 250r for much less than what they go for new. too expensive, you can get an '08 for $4,300 but it will have more than 25,000 miles on it."

Not true, like anything else, deals come and go. Patience and diligence win the game. If you need one next week, you may pay quite a bit.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #36
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Low View Post
+3. Add CRF 230 to the list.

The smaller and lighter, the better for starting out. Shop around and buy used so it has already depreciated and if/when you won't lose as much $.

And get on "Ideal Protein": At 5'11", I went from 240 lbs to 195 lbs in 9 weeks and life is sooo much better.

Make that 50 lbs in 10 weeks; from 240 down to 190, since you brought up weight. Don't get nearly as winded while wrastling a 250 lb 450 around Walker Valley.
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #37
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:

*stay away from the "I ride this, it's the only good bike, you need one just like it"!
06 DRZ, 13, 14 and 15 tooth counter shaft sprockets. Jet kitted, 3X3 air box and light spring[carb] and lowered 1.5". Not as fun as

09 KLX 351, pumper carb, FMF PB~Q4 lowered 2".

02 520 EXC lighter and a bit easer to pick up than the other two. Did I say faster and handles better.

A good friend had a WR 250R and did fine on it. It seemed heavier than I thought it would be. The DRZ has enough grunt for off road, I dropped mine to slow it down a bit.

For your size I would look at the DRZ, lots of them out there. Look for
one with some of the stuff you want on it, knobies, bark busters and such.
You might even find some one that would let you take a spin on one.

MFG stats should be smiled at. Go to a shop and pick one up.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #38
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,362
You may find this one on the Flea market

Old 07-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #39
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
I freakin love my DRZ

Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #40
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
You've got the list of usually suspects by now so I don't have much to add. Just 2 things to keep in mind. Even a 250 will do the speed limit with a 250lb+ rider. No one ever bitches and moans about having a bike that it too light or being able to touch the ground anywhere.

I learned these lessons the hard way. My first non-beginner bike was a DL650. Great street bike, but not really much of an off pavement bike especially for a noob too heavy and not that dirt worthy. 4 years later I picked up a DR350 because it's lighter and a real dual sport. Then I wanted to try some single track riding and found out that the DR350 is too heavy when it goes over on the trail repeatedly, but great on gravel roads. Then I picked up a trials bike for single track and couldn't be happier. See the trend here? The smaller and lighter the bike the bigger smile on my face.

I'm 6'6" 240lbs. You can make a smaller bike fit you with some adjustments, but you can't bike a big bike lighter. When you have a light bike and find it easy to ride in challenging conditions your skill with improve so much faster than struggling through every ride on a heavier more powerful bike. So much of riding especially off road is mental. If you are confident in your skills you are a great rider. Nothing build confidence faster than a bike the is fun and easy to ride.

The just of what I'm saying don't let your ego get in the way of choosing a great beginner bike. It's your first bike and not your last. I'd give the xt225/250 a serious look. it will get you were you need to go, it's simple, easy to work on, no radiators to trash, light-ish, at 5'11" you will be able to get a foot down in any terrain. Stay off the freeway and you will be able to do at least the speed limit pretty much anywhere.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 10:56 AM
brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #41
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,321
good advice from Bryan. I started out riding Honda 50s and 90s... my first real bike was a plated XR250.. then another XR250. Starting out light really helped me, although I am very biased now in what I like. I picked up a XR650L behemoth for a steal and tried tried tried to make it a light weight bike... I stripped everything I could off it and it was still a pig. I enjoyed riding the 250 much more than the 650 even though it was as slow as snot.

Starting out I would go with the lightest bike that still has enough power to move you. Bryan has a good point with the XT225/250. My father in law just got a 225 and really likes it because it is nice and easy to throw around, yet will still get him along on the road okay.
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #42
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
And if you don't have either you're full of shit.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #43
Inspector
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
And if you don't have either you're full of shit.

hehehe--i'm impressed with all the good advice here. (the opinion came from a different board)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #44
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
*stay away from the "I ride this, it's the only good bike, you need one just like it"!...
Well not necessarily. People love them for some reason. What is important to understand is for every XR-phile, there is a DRZ-phile, kl-phile, etc....

This would not be bad at all (says the XRL-phile):
2012 KLX250s
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5760