User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
shaweetz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Touring funk of the olfactory variety

This is kind a loose call for opinions; word is there are a few of those floating around.

After a few weeks of ATGATT in hot weather, things start to get... ripe. Odiferous. When my riding gear (synthetic) was new I was more careful about washing, but recently I just decided balls to being careful and now I toss everything into the front loading wash. I pull the armor and put helmet liners in a mesh bag.

After about an hour of re-assembling all the pads in mine and wife's gear though, I'm wondering why I even bother pulling the armor. The front loading machine is pretty kind to garments, and I am probably doing more disservice to the gear by trying to ram the elbow pads through small openings, etc. after every wash. Likewise I'm not sure putting helmet liners in a mesh bag is really mitigating any harm, probably just hindering a good wash and spin.

I'm just curious about what other people do. It sure is nice to put on a helmet that doesn't have 'the smell'
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
I can't speak to other brands, but the instructions I got with my Motoport trousers were to wash them (in cold water) with the armor in 'em. I sustect it varies with different brands and different compositions of foam, etc. in the armor. Send an e-mail to the manufacturer(s) of the gear you use and see what they recommend.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
AutoXer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I used to do the same, removing the armor, then I got lazy and figured the armor certainly doesn't fall apart when it gets wet in the rain, and my clothing doesn't fall apart when I wash it in a little laundry detergent, so ...

I just toss it in the wash. Now if I could find some way to get the funk out permanantly ...

jZ
AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 176
Talking Smell? Naww

My helmet doesn't get nasty with my coolmax liner (think spandex do-rag.) Originally I bought it to keep my ears from being torn off every time I don the Chernobyl bucket. Turns out, it soaks up the reek, too. The liner gets nasty after a bit, but it helps my helmet keep a slight "new bucket" smell. I toss the coolmax in the washer on "delicate" cold/cold cycle and it comes out sans onion-reek. Well worth the $7 I paid. Should the helmet ever start to take on a funk, all the interior pads pop out and are washable.

Whatever pants I'm wearing will smell like bike exhaust, oil and hot metal by the time I get home from even a short ride. The thing is, I like that smell: That telltale odor on a cool afternoon, with 6/10 cloud cover and light traffic brings me right back to the day I bought my bike and rode her home! Oh, the pants. I wash 'em like any other jeans and that exhaust note goes away.

Like the OP, I've got a textile jacket. It's a Transition 2, and it flows air too well to stink. Pop all the chest vents open, unzip that big back vent, and I'm dry as soon as I hit 30mph. Except for the last four inches of the cuffs where there's a corduroy liner. Once those get any sweat in 'em, they take forever to dry out. One thing I've discovered: if it's warmer than 70 outside, and the sky is cloudless, riding an air-cooled cruiser in the city is sweaty business!

My footwear, however? Thank doG I scrounged up enough money for new boots, 'cause there were times even the flies ran away screaming!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
shaweetz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Personally I suspect that a lot of garment washing recommendations for any clothing assume the worst: that you have a top-loading machine with an agitator. I could see how that might be hazardous to a lot of stuff.

Boots just need to be incinerated eventually. A regular change of the beds goes a long way.

I have some jeans that I wear often while riding, and the 'exhaust note' is not that pleasant. Like when you are typing at your desk and you can smell them. On the first wearing after the wash! Time for the incinerator for those too, I guess.

@bogfarth the lid liner is a good recommendation, though for me the cheekpads get pretty bad, pretty fast, esp when you add sunscreen to the equation. But pulling just the cheekpads would be a lot simpler. On the plus side, I notice I am motivated to shave a lot more often while on a long trip.

As funky as the outerwear gets, does not hold a candle to what happens with the innerwear. Lucky there are things like zippers and belts to seal all that freshness.

Keep it coming! How do you wash your crap??
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 527
Laundry tub

I too take out the armor and stuff,. but I just wash 'em in ythe laundry tub next to the washer. I use the same laundry detergent that's used for the washer, swish it around in some decently warm water, and sloosh around the jacket or whatever is is I'm cleaning for a minute or so, then let it sit in there for 5-10 minutes, then sloosh it around some more, let 'er sit a little more. Drain the soapy water, refill with about 1/2 tub clean water, rinse. Rinse it again with another fresh tub, done. Good enough.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,793
The funkier the more ADV'er you are.

Keep's the really hot chick's from disturbing your zen while you're pimpen at Starbucks.

But on a serious note. Spray my textile gear down with oxy and hose it off, armour and all, when it get's to the point that my hottie turns up her nose.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
boot trick

I rode through a torrential rain in Georgia in 90+F heat two summers ago. I never got the chance to stop and put on my rain gear. As such, I got fully soaked and filled my BMW waterproof boots with the rain that came in from my pants.

The next day, the boots smelled so bad I nearly vomited. I fixed the problem with a 2-step treatment. First, I hooked up my shopvac to blow-mode and pumped air into each boot for an hour or so to get them fully dry. Next, I swung by PetSmart to buy two large containers of activated charcoal for an aquarium filter. I filled each boot to the brim with the charcoal and let them sit for several days. After dumping the charcoal and wiping out the black residue from the inside of the boots - the smell was completely gone.

I've used a similar treatment for Keen's leather sandals by stuffing them with socks filled with activated charcoal. While that helped, I eventually threw them out and got the new antibacterial versions.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
My question is what is the best course of action for leather. Mine smells pretty bad after this summer's adventures.

Its a Cortech tourmaster jacket and decker overpants.

I am figuring I will remove the armor and deal with that on its own. Then for the liner, sponge wash it. For the leather, use leather cleaner/soap and leather conditioner. Any flaw in that logic?
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #10
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,845
My textile Fieldsheer jacket and pants say to hand wash with a damp rag. So I pull the armor and put it in the washing machine. Delicate cycle, cold water, hang dry when done. Seems to be working well.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847
I just hang mine on the wall of the car wash and give em hell with the wand. With the weather we had this summer, they were dry in 30 minutes.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post
My question is what is the best course of action for leather. Mine smells pretty bad after this summer's adventures.

Its a Cortech tourmaster jacket and decker overpants.

I am figuring I will remove the armor and deal with that on its own. Then for the liner, sponge wash it. For the leather, use leather cleaner/soap and leather conditioner. Any flaw in that logic?
Dry clean
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I rode through a torrential rain in Georgia in 90+F heat two summers ago. I never got the chance to stop and put on my rain gear. As such, I got fully soaked and filled my BMW waterproof boots with the rain that came in from my pants.

The next day, the boots smelled so bad I nearly vomited. I fixed the problem with a 2-step treatment. First, I hooked up my shopvac to blow-mode and pumped air into each boot for an hour or so to get them fully dry.
I have one of these for my ski boots, because they're wicked stiff (150 stiffness) and 2 sizes smaller than my shoe size, so they're wicked hard to get on when they're cold in the mornings:

Hotronics boot dryer/warmer.

I throw 'em in my motorcycle boots after a long ride to dry 'em out... works great to keep the funk away.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 900
i wear them when it rains.
same with the bike.

i'm old, fat and don't care. so why wash them.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Man, you guys stink! LOL! I "get" that when you live in a humid climate, things are different. However, here in AZ in the Summer, I can soak a T shirt, put it on, ride 15 minutes and it's dry as a bone. Therefore my perspiration evaporates nearly as fast as I can produce it, except for my helmet. This I have to wash (the liners). Still glad I live here rather than where you do!
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote