Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #31
Bacon_Grease
Arrogant Bastard

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
I think the new risk we all face is the HUMONGOUS A- pillars in the new cars.

Roofs have to withstand a much harder rollover test and the new cars meet it by beefing up the A-pillar.

Combine that with a slow roll at a stop sign and they miss ANYTHING coming at them from an angle.

Watch for peoples eyes being blocked by A-pillars as you approach them on cross streets and you will see what I mean.
Agreed.

Three years or so back, I was driving the GropenVagen (green E150 conversion) and was t-boned by a small Saturn who pulled the classic "Oh, I didn't see you" line. Talk about scarey.

While the GropenVagon was in the shop, they put me in a Dodge pick up. The visibility out of that pickup was absolutely atrocious. I lost mid size SUV's behind the mirrors and A pillars I wound up returning the loaner in favor of a minivan.

Now that I'm in the market for a new vehicle (the GropenVagon is nearly 20 years old now...) and ALL of these new cars have what I would call criminally large blindspots in front of them. While this is no excuse for not looking around, I am much more aware that other drivers are far less aware of other vehicles - both from inattentive / distracted drivers AND blindspots being built into them.

What is the plural form of POS?
Bacon_Grease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #32
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Tailgating: Youve got three kinds of tailgaters.

The first kind are the people who are too lazy to drive. The "Zombie" tailgater feels good tailgating because its easy. They dont have to worry about their speed, they just match whatever the guy in front is doing. They are basically just letting the guy in front make their decisions for them which is so much easier than actually having to do it yourself.

The second type of tailgater is the "Its all about me" He's the one who thinks he needs to be in a hurry so he attempt to "push" you down the road faster. I say "thinks he is in a hurry" because he usually has plenty of time to get where he is going and even if he were 3 minutes late, no one really cares anyway. He thinks his mere presence in your mirror should make you drive faster, even though this hardly ever works, it still pisses them off when it doesnt.

The third tailgater is the race car driver wannabe. The "Wannabe" will drive faster than the rest of the traffic, no matter what speed they are going, and will "draft" because thats what his NASCAR brothers do so it must be ok, and they think that somehow this proves they are a better driver than everyone else and it's the most excitement they get out of life. Much like the "Its all about ME" tailgater,you will see him swerving between lanes, tailgating, cutting people off, ect. The big difference is the "Its all about ME" doesnt give a shit what he is doing to you while the "Wannabe" is doing it because its fun. The same person will often switch back and forth between Wannabe and "ME" and they both hate the "Zombie" tailgater.

Next time you are on the road look around and try to figure out which one is tailgating you, or better yet, think about which one you are next time you find yourself too close to the vehicle in front.

ray h screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 01:46 PM
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_Grease View Post
Agreed.

Three years or so back, I was driving the GropenVagen (green E150 conversion) and was t-boned by a small Saturn who pulled the classic "Oh, I didn't see you" line. Talk about scarey.

While the GropenVagon was in the shop, they put me in a Dodge pick up. The visibility out of that pickup was absolutely atrocious. I lost mid size SUV's behind the mirrors and A pillars I wound up returning the loaner in favor of a minivan.

Now that I'm in the market for a new vehicle (the GropenVagon is nearly 20 years old now...) and ALL of these new cars have what I would call criminally large blindspots in front of them. While this is no excuse for not looking around, I am much more aware that other drivers are far less aware of other vehicles - both from inattentive / distracted drivers AND blindspots being built into them.
This blind spots are courtesy of the feds. You see to meet the roof crush tests they had to beef up the a pillar. You beef up the a pillar you make them huge. And cars ans mc disappear behind them and people die.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20

Sic Semper Tyrannis screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 06:57 PM
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #34
_Davi_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
And stay out of blind spots of drivers, they will not see you!
We're always in their blind spot.
We ARE their blind spot.
1977 VW Westy camper bus
1976 feet (no titanium yet!)
_Davi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #35
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,753
Quote:
This blond spots are courtesy of the feds.
The fed's are given out blond spots now? Sweet! Maybe cover up some of my grey.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #36
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
I will freely admit, every close call I've ever had on a bike was my own stupidity or brain fart

am I different from other people that blame their offs on everything from cold tires to an idiot cager

almost EVERYONE follows too close, minimum 2 seconds but 3 is recommended as same, most people ride/drive 0.5 seconds or less

at 40mph, 55-60 yards, at a ton, a whole tenth of a mile
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #37
Ahboon
Re-Cycled

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
I think the new risk we all face is the HUMONGOUS A- pillars in the new cars.

Roofs have to withstand a much harder rollover test and the new cars meet it by beefing up the A-pillar.

Combine that with a slow roll at a stop sign and they miss ANYTHING coming at them from an angle.

Watch for peoples eyes being blocked by A-pillars as you approach them on cross streets and you will see what I mean.
Agreed: A-pillar "shadow" has featured as a "near-miss" cause a number of times for me. Not just on the bike and sometimes my fault while driving as well!
Goes with the "Constant bearing, deminishing distance rule".
[First thread, this Forum]

Ahboon screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 07:45 PM Reason: Spelling! I'm hopeless
Ahboon is offline   Reply With Quote