Old 10-14-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
yefni OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Yamaha TDM 900, really that bad?

Hello,

I have read the results of a forum poll

http://www.advrider.com/forums/poll....ts&pollid=3479

and I see the TDM is not getting very positive reviews.

I am undecided between the V-Strom and the TDM. Is it really bad or simply underappreciated?

Thank you.
yefni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,450
I enjoyed mine. Fairly light and easy to get on with. An underrated bike.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
kmax
Kruzer

Oddometer: 222
TDM 900 is not in US.. so poll result could not reflect the actual no of TDM's good performance.

here's some reviews on TDM
http://www.motorcyclemonthly.co.uk/n...t-motorcycling

and comparison between them
http://www.visordown.com/road-tests/...m900/4476.html

comparing Vstorm.. there are good points and bad points..
but you are not the only one with such dialemma..
and here's some discussions..
http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=16557
Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
marcone
V-Stromer

Oddometer: 36
TDM's worst annoyance is its price, almost 11K Euro here in Europe for the ABS version. That's 4K over the 650 V-Strom price.
And considering it's been around since 2002-2003 in basically the same form many say its design it's outdated.
marcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
yefni OP
Adventurer

Thank you everybody. I have found a brand-new TDM for Euro 9,500 at my local Yamaha dealer. Still being more expensive than the Strom, but not that much, and I find it more beautiful.

The TDM didn't sell well in Spain, while we have many Stroms and everybody seems to be happy with them. What I fear most about the TDM is a documented problem about the air-intake flap. It seems the TDM suffers at low rpm. Here's what I found.

The rider's experience is slightly different and not as positive :
• Engine's smoothess is not very effective at low rpm.
• The engine is very lazy under 2500 rpm and does not behave correctly, even for a two-cylinder bike.
• Some jerkyness appears around 4000 rpm.
• Users think that all those problems are connected to a faulty ECU or injection troubles.

This may be explained easily :
• Engine is starved of air below 4000 rpm by the closed flap.
• The flap is under the control of the ECU, which triggers it around 3500-4000 rpm.
• Flap works in an full open / full closed mode, without any progressive or smooth control.

[...]

Actualy the air-intake flap is required to comply with stiffer pollution & intake noise regulation (EURO2).

There are some benefits in desabling the air-intake flap :
• Better smoothess at low rpm.
• Torque increase, nice on mountain roads.
• Better, faster rpm increase, even from as low as 2000 rpm, without knocking.
• No more jerkiness around 4000 rpm.
I guess every bike has potential problems, but I still think the Strom may be the safe bet.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
yefni OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmax
I found this on the link you provided. Maybe the same problem?

the TDM is a cinch to potter around town on, its ease of use only marred by a very direct low rpm throttle feel in first and second gear - both Jim and Steve described the TDM as snatchy. I felt it was more abrupt than snatchy but regardless It's not a problem anywhere other than at very low speed, because from 2,000rpm to the redline at 8,000rpm the TDM pumps out a lovely mellow twin cylinder vibe which punts it along very respectably.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Twin350p
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hi,

I´ve had a TDM 900 for the last 4 years, everyday use, comuting, touring two up on holidays, etc.
It's a very reliable bike, unless you go flat out consumption is low, confortable too.
I'ts a very underrated bike, but very easy and enjoyable to drive.
In all these years i didn´t notice any of the problems you refer, i think is a very safe choice.

Regards,
Renato
Twin350p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 204
Well yefni let me tell you my opinion since I owned both bikes. Really didnt have any serious issues w/ the air flap like the one's you described. I changed the back sprocket for a bigger one (only one tooth) because I found it to come more handy in the city and caused no problems when travelling. Other than that I found the TDM better than the Strom in the brakes department. And I mean wayyyyy better, one of the best brakes I tried on a non-superbike style motorcycle and I came across a few mind. More power, superior suspension adjustability and more evolving ride when pushed on the twisties. In the city Yamaha's lower centre of gravity aided my riding and although it's a tad heavier than the Strom it was easier to deal with on slow manouvearing. On the other hand it had worst seating position than the Suzuki and you couldnt just hang on there for all day. With the Strom travelling was a real delight especially if you had to rack up lots of mileage on the highway. I had to buy motec's up and back handlebar risers on both bikes because I needed the handlebar closer to me but that's a personal preference. There was buffeting on both bikes w/ their standard windshield on so I put MRA on both! All in all, these are great all-rounders and ultra reliable too. If I had to pick one I'd pick the TDM only just.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
yefni OP
Adventurer

Thank you, Bikeaddict. Maybe comfort over long trips is the last subject to consider. That said, I come from a Varadero 125, so in both cases it will be a change for the better.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
What I didn't like at all on the TDM is the riding position. You are placed way behind the front wheel with stretched arms, which feels like pushing a wheelbarrow. It might be able to turn, but the feedback you get is extremely dated for a road bike in year 2010. Its little sibling, the versys, is a far more accomplished and a lot more enjoyable ride. Oh, and 50lbs lighter.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Some people like them, some dont. Just like BMW's
I have owned 2 TDM850's & currently have a TDM900. To me they are a great bike will do every thing I ask of it touring, Sunday blasts & commuting to work.
The air box flap is easy sorted, I have had no other real problems the only thing I can say bad against my TDM900 is the seat is a pain (yet others find the seat good)
The only way you can be sure is to try get a test ride on both.
TAM
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I have test ridden a TDM twice. I really liked it and would have bought one but I found the ergos didn't suit me. After only 10 minutes on each occasion my shoulders ached and I was uncomfortable. Obviously, that was a deal breaker but in every other important aspect I liked it. You should get a ride on one and see if it is right for you. It's a very underrated bike IMO.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
yefni OP
Adventurer

Thank you. The problem is I have no possibility to test it. Not even the Strom...
Old 10-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
RunningBare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
I've ridden 3 different TDM's and all of them required a lot of cash spent on the suspension. I didn't mind the seating position so much. They all had a tendency to stand up in corners if you back off the gas a bit, they need to be powered through the corners.IMHO
RunningBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #15
kmax
Kruzer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBare
I've ridden 3 different TDM's and all of them required a lot of cash spent on the suspension. I didn't mind the seating position so much. They all had a tendency to stand up in corners if you back off the gas a bit, they need to be powered through the corners.IMHO
TDM's original suspensions are fully adjustable, but you can easily change the springs. it does not require a lot cash. Progressive Hagons are only 69 £

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/T..._Hagon_-_Pair/

i agree with engine braking, which makes it easy on twisty roads, no need for hard braking but use engine brake to go through turns..