User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #136
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
It really is not for everyone.

That's why there is more than one bike on the market.

The feel of the bike will either turn you on or off. I doubt anyone doesn't like the sound of her though. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #137
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
... The bike as a whole is ridiculously overbuilt, which is the main reason for the weight, but Guzzis are known for their longevity, which is a fair trade off IMO.

What I tell everyone is to ride one. They are different from anything else. Down low it pulls like a train, and once in the middle/upper revs, it goes like a 60's muscle car (and sounds like one). At idle it rumbles and shakes, but once under power it's very smooth for a big twin. Stock, on decel it pops and farts (too lean thanks to EPA regs), but that too is just part of the overall package that reminds you that you're not on a cookie cutter bike. For some it's really intoxicating, but others not so much. If you're a spec sheet sniffer, move along....nothing to see here. It's heavy, doesn't win the HP race, and won't win a drag race with the other bikes in the class. What it does do is make obscene amounts of power way down low, with 60-70% of max torque available at idle, and 80-90% of max torque from 2000 rpm. She'll haul a big load a long way in comfort, and with the 8.5 gallon fuel tank, will provide 300+ mile range while doing it.

Put your gear on and go visit a dealer that allows test rides and see if it's for you. -SM
Sock Monkey,

Congratulations! You nailed it! That's the best explanation I've seen on the character of the Stelvio. I've ridden a fair number of bikes and the Stelvio truly is "different from anything else".
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #138
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
walking stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzidzit View Post
The factory bags on the Stella will induce a very gentle weave to the back end at about a buck and a quarter, so if you are burning the girl, leave the bags at home!!! without them she is rock steady to about 135-140 according to the Garmin.

Just a word to the wise Remember to clear your trip computer it records top speed, and you do not want to have that screen pop up at the wrong time....

oh yea the wind screen position does not seem to influence higher speed stability much, but lower is a tiny bit better
is that your walking stick i see leaning on the bike?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #139
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by mup View Post
I've read a few stories of bugs in Explorer and flat power in the Tenere (clutch jumper notwithstanding). Sorry, I don't have specifics, and I'm sure they are small nits to pick that will probably be addressed.
As far as the Tenere's "flat power" goes...

A few have done the clutch switch mod. some like it, some think it is too "snatchy" after the mod.

The tenere has a very flat delivery, which like most things gives you no woosh, flat bits etc so your sensation of speed is dulled off. YAMAHA also slowed the throttle response down a bit in the 1st three gears, Some like it snatchy (like the explorer), some don't. It's up to you. I don't find any of it worth whinging about.

Go and ride the Stelvio, don't dismiss the others because of these "BIG internet problems" It's good to see the Stelvio get some love out there. It's a big bullet proof bike with lots of its own character and deserves s spot.

Sock summed it up well.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #140
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Dues anyone know where a dealership may have an NTX in stock??

Black one preferably,
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #141
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
Just got an insurance quote on a 2012 NTX. A little bit higher than the Concours 14, but not too much.

So far, the stars are still heading toward alignment. Need to find a dealer out here that will actually let me demo one.

After the long weekend, I'll be making phone calls on Tuesday to find a place to ride one, and go from there. I'm hoping that they'll bring back that beautiful blood red for 2013, as I have a thing for red bikes.

Looking on the guzzi tech forum, looks like this is a tank, compared to some of its Teutonic counterparts. Can't wait to ride one!
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #142
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Not many left on dealership floors right now.

Mine is down for a couple of weeks while I have a Russell seat made for it.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #143
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Goodwin View Post
Dues anyone know where a dealership may have an NTX in stock? ..
You might want to contact Moto-Nexus in Hendersonville, NC. They are a dealer and may be able to either find one for you or tell you where one is. There is also a dealer in the Atlanta area but I don't know their name.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #144
Borrego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
You might want to contact Moto-Nexus in Hendersonville, NC. They are a dealer and may be able to either find one for you or tell you where one is. There is also a dealer in the Atlanta area but I don't know their name.

Houston Dealer link - Mike Haven and his crew will provide you stellar support -

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcd/3091876888.html
Borrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #145
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
So far there don't seem to be any trouble spots, much like the Tenere in that respect. Keep in mind though, there really isn't anything all that "new" about the NTX. The engine has been around for years, as has the final drive. The bike as a whole is ridiculously overbuilt, which is the main reason for the weight, but Guzzis are known for their longevity, which is a fair trade off IMO.

What I tell everyone is to ride one. They are different from anything else. Down low it pulls like a train, and once in the middle/upper revs, it goes like a 60's muscle car (and sounds like one). At idle it rumbles and shakes, but once under power it's very smooth for a big twin. Stock, on decel it pops and farts (too lean thanks to EPA regs), but that too is just part of the overall package that reminds you that you're not on a cookie cutter bike. For some it's really intoxicating, but others not so much. If you're a spec sheet sniffer, move along....nothing to see here. It's heavy, doesn't win the HP race, and won't win a drag race with the other bikes in the class. What it does do is make obscene amounts of power way down low, with 60-70% of max torque available at idle, and 80-90% of max torque from 2000 rpm. She'll haul a big load a long way in comfort, and with the 8.5 gallon fuel tank, will provide 300+ mile range while doing it.

Put your gear on and go visit a dealer that allows test rides and see if it's for you.

-SM

Purdy dern good post feller.

I'm looking for a replacement for my FJR and there was a three way tie between the Guzzie, the Explorer and teh Tenere. I think I've weeded the Explorer out unless they come out with a more serious version in the next year or so. Now it's between the Tenere and the Guzzi and the two couldn't be more different. We'll see I reckon.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #146
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I think I've weeded the Explorer out unless they come out with a more serious version in the next year or so.
you mean....like an Explorer XC?

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...r_explorer_xc/
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #147
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
Here ya go.

http://www.ridershill.com/

But no Stelvios as of today.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #148
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,364
Three 2012 NTX's turn up doing a Cycletrader search.

AF1 Racing in Austin shows a burnt orange and a lava black

European Motorsports in Dahlonega, GA, says "two more coming soon"

GP Motorcycles in San Diego has a lava black one.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #149
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Purdy dern good post feller.

I'm looking for a replacement for my FJR and there was a three way tie between the Guzzie, the Explorer and teh Tenere. I think I've weeded the Explorer out unless they come out with a more serious version in the next year or so. Now it's between the Tenere and the Guzzi and the two couldn't be more different. We'll see I reckon.
Thanks.

Re. the Tenere being different from the Stelvio, I was actually surprised (in a good way) how similar the two were when riding them. I test rode the Tenere a few weeks before test riding (and buying) the NTX, so I had a pretty good back-to-back comparison. The Guzzi is just "more" of everything: more rumbly at idle, more throaty at full boil, more responsive through the twisties, more responsive throttle, etc. The NTX model is also more weight, but keep in mind in Europe they have the "standard" model in addition to the NTX, and the standard is the same weight as the Tenere. Add crash bars, aux lights, bash plate, bag mounts, and bags to a Tenere, and I bet it weighs the same as the NTX in the 650-660lb range (but the NTX carries 2 more gallons of fuel). All that to say IMO, the two actually FELT more similar than different, which is amazing given, as you say, their completely different approaches to how to build a big trailie.

Re. the Explorer, check out the just-announced Explorer XC. Wire wheels, engine guards, bash plate, aux lights....all the bits to give it the same "cred" as the competition. We all knew it was coming, and good on Triumph for getting it out sooner rather than later.

Next out of the gun will come the "water boxer" (BMW's new water-cooled GS) and KTM's XX90 (1190, 1290.... ), presumably for sale next year.

Wow. Is next spring going to be great for the Adv community or what?!?! All these bikes are getting better and better (albeit bigger and bigger). Maybe 2014 will bring a similar onslaught of 700-800cc adv touring bikes and then the boards will REALLY be crammed with "WHAT BIKE SHOULD I BUY!?!?!".

Have a great weekend.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #150
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
you know what is interesting to me (as a past owner of a Stelvio 4v) is how much more attention this bike is getting than the 2009-2011 models here in the states....is it due to the sum of the parts (refinements) or simply the larger tank and new color choices? again, i'm speaking about the attention it has received versus its year old predecessor (same motor) which never received much love (other than from us Goose afficionados )

thoughts?
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote