Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #151
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,670
I think the previous version was a very good bike that suffered from:
  • 4.7 gallon tank on an adventure bike
  • top end heavy motor tune
  • cam issues

Doesn't take much internet rumble about cam related issues to crush sales on a bike that is already from a niche mfr'r with a small dealer network.

The NTX takes care of the mechanical issues, then compared very well against the R1200GS Adventure for thousands less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
you know what is interesting to me (as a past owner of a Stelvio 4v) is how much more attention this bike is getting than the 2009-2011 models here in the states....is it due to the sum of the parts (refinements) or simply the larger tank and new color choices? again, i'm speaking about the attention it has received versus its year old predecessor (same motor) which never received much love (other than from us Goose afficionados )

thoughts?
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #152
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I think the previous version was a very good bike that suffered from:
  • 4.7 gallon tank on an adventure bike
  • top end heavy motor tune
  • cam issues

Doesn't take much internet rumble about cam related issues to crush sales on a bike that is already from a niche mfr'r with a small dealer network.

The NTX takes care of the mechanical issues, then compared very well against the R1200GS Adventure for thousands less.
all valid, however, the 2009-2011 Stelvios were thousands less than the GS at that time too, and the cam issues were swiftly dealt with at the dealership level (well, at least mine was), but i do understand how that could affect sales. i think the larger tank has a lot to do with its success this year, that and possibly the smaller real wheel size (better off-road tire choices, less road oriented). again, i'm talking about the attention the bike has received, so many more people seem interested in it this go around. hey, i'm all for it, i love the bikes, they're like no other.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #153
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
all valid, however, the 2009-2011 Stelvios were thousands less than the GS at that time too, and the cam issues were swiftly dealt with at the dealership level (well, at least mine was), but i do understand how that could affect sales. i think the larger tank has a lot to do with its success this year, that and possibly the smaller real wheel size (better off-road tire choices, less road oriented). again, i'm talking about the attention the bike has received, so many more people seem interested in it this go around. hey, i'm all for it, i love the bikes, they're like no other.
As I understand, the '09-'11's were priced approximately the same as the NTX's currently are (~$15,990.) but they didn't have the costly accessories -- rear cases, crash bars, metal skid plate, hand guards and running lights -- included in that price. They were essentially a basic bike. For example, I looked at a used '10 Stelvio that was equipped with those factory available accessories, before I bought my '12 NTX. The owner told me it cost him ~$4000.+ to set the bike up as it was. IMO, that is a huge difference!

Someone, probably Piaggio, decided that Guzzi was going to go through some quite major redesign efforts (fuel tank, second O2 sensor, ECU mods, seat redesign, rear wheel change, etc), improve the deficiencies of the previous models (cam issues, etc) and then offer it, along with several high price accessories, at the same price as the previous model. Obviously, their goal was to get competitive with the GS Adventurer, which IMO they have done very well.

Have they been successful?? There has been a discussion on the WildGuzzi Website that Guzzi's sales are up 20% so far this year. That is very good for a year that has been a down year for cycle sales in general.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #154
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
As I understand, the '09-'11's were priced approximately the same as the NTX's currently are (~$15,990.) but they didn't have the costly accessories -- rear cases, crash bars, metal skid plate, hand guards and running lights -- included in that price. They were essentially a basic bike. For example, I looked at a used '10 Stelvio that was equipped with those factory available accessories, before I bought my '12 NTX. The owner told me it cost him ~$4000.+ to set the bike up as it was. IMO, that is a huge difference!

Someone, probably Piaggio, decided that Guzzi was going to go through some quite major redesign efforts (fuel tank, second O2 sensor, ECU mods, seat redesign, rear wheel change, etc), improve the deficiencies of the previous models (cam issues, etc) and then offer it, along with several high price accessories, at the same price as the previous model. Obviously, their goal was to get competitive with the GS Adventurer, which IMO they have done very well.

Have they been successful?? There has been a discussion on the WildGuzzi Website that Guzzi's sales are up 20% so far this year. That is very good for a year that has been a down year for cycle sales in general.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. The one I bought came equipped with Trax bags, engine guards, hand guards, cover and alarm, and for about $15k. Perhaps it was due to a promotion at the time. They were definitely available, a great deal at the time I suppose.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #155
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
i think the larger tank has a lot to do with its success this year, that and possibly the smaller real wheel size (better off-road tire choices, less road oriented).
+1

I think you are on the mark. When MG fixed the "dip" in the torque curve on the '09's, that also helped (not the cam recall thing, but the new cam profile). Taken together, there's nothing really "bad" about the bike compared to its peers, and yes, the large tank really does make it stand apart with only the BMW GSA as its equal in that regard. For many, that suddenly put the NTX "on the map" so to speak. Funny how a thing like that makes such a difference, but apparently it does! I'll admit it did make a difference for me, but it wasn't THE difference.....it was just a nice benefit. As a prior Guzzi owner, I knew about Guzzis and their pluses and minuses. This Goose just checked all the boxes for me, and as another poster said, it does so at a "refreshing" price (aka about $5k US less than the equivalent BMW GSA).

If a few more folks take the NTX off into the bush with positive results, and no real weaknesses surface, I think the "buzz" will get even louder.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #156
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
+1

I think you are on the mark. When MG fixed the "dip" in the torque curve on the '09's, that also helped (not the cam recall thing, but the new cam profile). Taken together, there's nothing really "bad" about the bike compared to its peers, and yes, the large tank really does make it stand apart with only the BMW GSA as its equal in that regard. For many, that suddenly put the NTX "on the map" so to speak. Funny how a thing like that makes such a difference, but apparently it does! I'll admit it did make a difference for me, but it wasn't THE difference.....it was just a nice benefit. As a prior Guzzi owner, I knew about Guzzis and their pluses and minuses. This Goose just checked all the boxes for me, and as another poster said, it does so at a "refreshing" price (aka about $5k US less than the equivalent BMW GSA).

If a few more folks take the NTX off into the bush with positive results, and no real weaknesses surface, I think the "buzz" will get even louder.

-SM
Or, if we get the road-oriented, non-NTX Stelvio that Europe already gets...we can read about in in Road Warriors!
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #157
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog View Post
Or, if we get the road-oriented, non-NTX Stelvio that Europe already gets...
It'll be interesting to see if Guzzi brings that model, The Model 8V, to the States. I don't know what the price differential between it and the NTX would be -- maybe two/three thousand dollars? -- to eliminate the outside accessories and go with the cast rims instead of spokes. For me and my use -- long distance touring and camping trips -- I would still opt for the NTX for the carrying capability and added protection. I don't mind the big boxes and the crash guards, hand guards, skid plate are accessories that I would have installed anyway.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:26 AM   #158
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:

No larger tank?
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #159
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
According to european specs, the non-NTX, standard Stelvio DOES have the same 8.5 gallon gas tank.

Check it out here-

http://uk.motoguzzi.it/#/motoguzzi/U...io-1200-4V-abs
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #160
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
No larger tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
According to european specs, the non-NTX, standard Stelvio DOES have the same 8.5 gallon gas tank.
I think he was referring to the new-for-2013 Triumph Explorer XC not having a bigger tank than the std. Explorer
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #161
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
I think he was referring to the new-for-2013 Triumph Explorer XC not having a bigger tank than the std. Explorer
+1. That was a major "oops" IMO given all the rumors going around that the TigEx originally had a larger tank but it was replaced w/ a smaller one due to aesthetics. Maybe it will show up as an accessory.....

-SM
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #162
Midwest Mike
n00b

Oddometer: 9
weighing-in

Great review leafman60! That gets me thinking, once again about the Gutzy. I really craved a Quotta at one time, but purchased a y2k Cagiva Gc (another obscure bike/dealer network) due to the availibility and great reviews. The Stelvio seems like a likely candidate for my next bike. Thank you for renewing my interest in the brand. Cheers!
Midwest Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #163
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,160
Vibes

The last Guzzi I rode (a number of yrs ago) had a pronounced "staccato" vibration thru the handgrips. Does the NTX suffer from this?

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #164
Midwest Mike
n00b

Oddometer: 9
chuggah (x3)

While I havn't had a chance to throw a leg over a NTZ as of yet, my understanding is that while still retaining Gootzy character, the modern mount is somewhat more suble and subdued.
Midwest Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #165
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
The last Guzzi I rode (a number of yrs ago) had a pronounced "staccato" vibration thru the handgrips. Does the NTX suffer from this?

--Doc
At 1500 miles on the clock, the vibes are no more pronounced than the vibes from my Multisrada with the same mileage. I expect them to continue to smooth out as the miles accumulate.

What I find interesting is at 4k rpm there are virtually no vibes (note I'm wearing my thin summer gloves), and there's another "quiet" spot at 5500 rpms. I didn't notice anything like that on my Duc....it was pretty consistent up through 7-8k rpm, then it got a bit annoying even after 13k miles on the clock.

-SM