Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #181
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 128
I've been using 89 octane and occasionally throw in a tank of premium 93.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #182
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefJeff View Post
Wow! I wasn't sure I understood what that meant so I did a little research.

NORM = Research Octane Number (RON)
NOMM = Motor Octane Number (MON)

In the US the octance rating on the pump is indicated in a value of (R + M)/2 which is (RON + MON)/2. In other words, this is the average of the NORM (RON) and the NOMM (MON).

Those numbers stated above come out to a recommended octane rating of 90 in the US. The most common grades of gas available in the US are 87, 89, and 93.

So the question is, which grade of gas are you guys using? Is 89 octance close enough to the recommended 90 to be safe for this engine?

I use Premium, which around here means 91/92 depending on the brand. I've never had a problem with pinging, etc., even in temps to 108 deg F, which is what you're trying to avoid by using the higher octane fuel. With a compression ratio of 11:1, while not high compared to its peers, it's still high enough to warrant using the highest grade pump fuel available IMO.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #183
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 743
On the cross country trip this year, I used 87 ( no 89,91, or 93 available) and the bike ran fine. I lost a couple of mpg, but otherwise un-noticeable. Of course that fuel had no alcohol in it either, so YMMV.

Around home I always use at least 91. The bike has never pinged on anything I've put through it.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #184
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I note a couple pages back that the Guzzi is "thousands" less. That actually is a bit deceptive. 10,000$ is thousands, but put like this it really gets your attention. Just do an ALL OF CRAIGS search for full loaded BMW Adventure GSs and see they were around 26K out the door.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #185
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
I note a couple pages back that the Guzzi is "thousands" less. That actually is a bit deceptive. 10,000$ is thousands, but put like this it really gets your attention. Just do an ALL OF CRAIGS search for full loaded BMW Adventure GSs and see they were around 26K out the door.
Depending on where you live, the NTX is about $18k OTD (includes TTL, etc.). I can see where a GSA similarly set up to a NTX is $8k more, but that probably includes ESA and TPS, which the NTX doesn't have. Still, given the config, IMO the NTX is a bargain.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #186
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
26K OTD vs what I paid for the NTX = just under 9k differance

Seems like thousands to me - plus I didn't feel obligated to buy a TWAT suit so that is another $1k - so by your definition then it is thousands

boxermoose screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 03:10 PM Reason: fix my shite
boxermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #187
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
What I meant is the difference in cost is a lot more than a few thousand. A couple of cool options, one of which I just don't want doesn't not explain that kind of gap, and I think the Guzzi along with the tenere may make BMW sit down and reconsider...maybe not...but maybe.

I am not sure at this point in time why a Guzzi NTX would cost 18K OTD. Sales tax should not be part of the equation. That isn't controlled by the dealer or the manufacturer.

They are 15,999 list. You almost always get some discount so....
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #188
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,170
Quote:
They are 15,999 list. You almost always get some discount so....
$15,990

You'll probably have to settle for a discount on parts and accessories, they're not sitting on showroom floors for long.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #189
vato_loco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
These guys no good?

MUNROE MOTORS
412 Valencia St.
San Francisco, CA 94103
PHONE (415) 626-3496 FAX (415) 255-8389
I had a good experience buying a 1998 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i from Munroe Motors. The service department, however, left much to be desired. After the first service, I rode to Santa Cruz CA and when I was done refueling the bike wouldn't start. Checking everything over, I discovered that the negative battery cable was loose. Luckily, I learned to wrench on my own -- an easy thing with Guzzis -- and was thus able to avoid Munroe's service department for 33K miles.

Munroe Motors is a good place to pick up a European bike. Fortunately, there are other service options in the Bay Area, especially if you own a Ducati. For Guzzis, the options might be fewer but don't let that prevent you from buying a Stelvio in San Francisco. Who knows, maybe Munroe's service department now has a certified Guzzi technician.

BTW, that was an excellent review of the Stelvio NTX. Love that bike but not enough to sell my 2007 Tuono!
vato_loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #190
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by vato_loco View Post
I had a good experience buying a 1998 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i from Munroe Motors. The service department, however, left much to be desired. After the first service, I rode to Santa Cruz CA and when I was done refueling the bike wouldn't start. Checking everything over, I discovered that the negative battery cable was loose. Luckily, I learned to wrench on my own -- an easy thing with Guzzis -- and was thus able to avoid Munroe's service department for 33K miles.

Munroe Motors is a good place to pick up a European bike. Fortunately, there are other service options in the Bay Area, especially if you own a Ducati. For Guzzis, the options might be fewer but don't let that prevent you from buying a Stelvio in San Francisco. Who knows, maybe Munroe's service department now has a certified Guzzi technician.

BTW, that was an excellent review of the Stelvio NTX. Love that bike but not enough to sell my 2007 Tuono!

For Guzzi support I would highly suggest Elk Grove Power Sports. A bit further to drive but they have a good rating and the service department has Guzzi techs. They have taken care of my Triumph after a deer strike and have nothing but good things to say about them, ask for the service manager, Brian.

Fasttrak
Ken
Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #191
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Just starting researching these bikes...difference between a standard Stelvio and an NTX Stelvio is the crash protection, hard bags, and lights?

Of course, I'm going to have to ride one, so off to Riders Hill in Dahlonega...looking forward to a magical test ride, whenever that happens...

If anyone in the Atlanta area has an NTX and will let me ride it, while they ride me Tiger....

More researching...on to youtube!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #192
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Just starting researching these bikes...difference between a standard Stelvio and an NTX Stelvio is the crash protection, hard bags, and lights?
The standard Stelvio (Model 8V) is not available in the US for Model Year 2012, only the fully equipped Stelvio NTX. The colors are either a somewhat Glossy Flat Black or a really cool Burnt Orange.

Chuck in Indiana screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 07:18 AM Reason: add for clarification
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #193
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
'09-'11 stelvios in the states are non-NTX versions with no bars, no bags, and smaller tank, larger forks.
'12 is NTX only, orange or black comes with bars, bags, 8.5 gal tank, ABS, ability to switch optional heated grips while moving (!), cammed for more low end torque, smaller dia forks, rims that better line up with BMW tire options. They listened to the complaints of the previous stelvio owners and fixed the issues.

Euro stelvios can be had with cast wheels, but those are $$ add ons here.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #194
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Thanks for the information. I like the white, wish I could swap the bodywork from a standard with the NTX...

First things first, a test ride.

Thanks again, I look forward to next summer when I may buy the adventure steed of my choice.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #195
MooMoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I went to the local dealer last week because they told me the last time I was there that they were expecting a shipment in mid Sept. Well they didn't get any Guzzi's but they did get some Triumph's. They said it might be a few more weeks before they get their shipment of Guzzi's so I asked about the NTX. The sales guy had to check with the manager. He then told me that they didn't order any of the Stelvio's because they don't sell. I told him that he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Everything I have seen, dealers are having a hard time keeping any on the floor.
Because I was looking at the Explorer before I got interested in the NTX I thought about getting that one. To make a long story short, they low balled me on my trade and said that Triumph requires a $1000 delivery and prep fee. I thought that was high as well and I never heard a manufacturer setting the delivery and prep fee. I think they are trying to pull a fast one on me.
Moral of this story is that when I get ready to buy I will probably have to go out of town. Too bad but I'm not going to get screwed either.
MooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote