Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #196
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,460
90 is also close to 91, which is the most common premium grade in the USA.

Do yourself a favor and run premium 91+, unless you're at altitude in the rockies...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #197
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post
I never heard a manufacturer setting the delivery and prep fee.
Delivery is "freight", and yes it's preset on every vehicle you'll buy.

The prep charge, no. That's set by the dealer.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #198
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
'09-'11 stelvios in the states are non-NTX versions with no bars, no bags, and smaller tank, larger forks.
'12 is NTX only, orange or black comes with bars, bags, 8.5 gal tank, ABS, ability to switch optional heated grips while moving (!), cammed for more low end torque, smaller dia forks, rims that better line up with BMW tire options.
I think the ECU programming was more responsible for the low end torque improvement than cam profiles....

Not just a run of the mill ABS either - the NTX has the same ABS/TCS that comes on the Aprilia RSV4 - a pretty sophisticated ABS/TCS system.

Also worth mentioning is the Alpina tubeless spoke wheel system... expensive if you were to convert a bike to tubeless spoked wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Do yourself a favor and run premium 91+, unless you're at altitude in the rockies...
I run 91 even at elevation... cheap compared to filling up my truck's 26 gallon tank...since the 390hp Hemi does require premium
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #199
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
MooMoo that dealer is way off. The NTX is flying off of the shelf in the NW.

My freight was 419$...I remember as I just bought one. No prep charge. But my sense is that Empire Cycle in Spokane are straight shooters. They gave a great deal. Now only time will tell.

Print off my post and take it to your dealer and stick it in his left nostril.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #200
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
MooMoo that dealer is way off. The NTX is flying off of the shelf in the NW. My freight was 419$...I remember as I just bought one. No prep charge. But my sense is that Empire Cycle in Spokane are straight shooters. They gave a great deal. Now only time will tell...
Some dealers have a prep charge, others do not. My dealer charged me $300. and I'm not unhappy about it. It takes time (and time is money) to remove a bike from the crating, complete the assembly process and thoroughly check it out. In some cases, like with my dealer, they do more than that (add a "hot lead" for battery tender/heated gear, properly set up/install codes/ID's in the electronics, etc). I appreciate that attention to detail.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #201
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes and its worth it Chuck. They did that with mine too...I think they were just being nice since I was from Montana:)
Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #202
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
I just received and installed my Russell seat ( made by JJ at Russell). Wow. It's the bomb.

The stock Stelvio seat isnt bad but for long hours in the saddle, there is nothing like a Russell seat.

The seat works like a champ on the road but it also retains a "pocket" up front to allow you to scoot forward and get good ground-reach when on the dirt. Truly great product.

I've tried everything and Russell is the tops.

leafman60 screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 05:25 AM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #203
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

By the way, you'll notice the traction tread on my box tops. You can get those at WAL MART, and other places. They trim down and fit perfectly on the center of the pannier lid. On the sides, I used the soft version of adhesive stair step tread that is available from ACE Hdw and others (gray or black).

The high-mounted Traxx boxes will inevitably receive muddy boot scrapes across their tops. These items offer some protection and look better than a scraped lid unless you're going for that grisly look. The rough tread also helps hold anything you lash to the lid.

I had considered adding rails but decided not to add anything that would make the lids even taller.

leafman60 screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 05:44 AM
Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #204
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

The weather's cooling off noticeably here in the Rockies....snow falling at elevation.

Headed up to the shop this weekend for a set of oem heated grips - haven't really needed them until now

There's still life in the rear tire at 10,000 miles, but it's time.... I'll have a new K60 Scout put on while I'm there. Front still looks amazingly good.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #205
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I wish you'd post some pics of where you find the heated grip stub-out connectors AND the GPS stub-out. I gotta install the same things too. Sounds like I need to lift the tank to find these babies.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #206
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
I wish you'd post some pics of where you find the heated grip stub-out connectors AND the GPS stub-out. I gotta install the same things too. Sounds like I need to lift the tank to find these babies.

Everything I've read says the molex connectors are tucked in right around the alternator in the vee - not visible until you lift the tank.

For GPS I just use the 12v dash plug....I use a 60CSX and have a variety of cig lighter and Powerlet plugs for it. If I was just doing GPS I wouldn't dig for the connector, lots of ways to get switched 12v that are more convenient.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #207
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Let me ask a stupid question. If you don't have heated grips does the switch to turn them on still exist on the left side, and does the dash indicator still come on when you hit said switch? I am supposed to have heated grips, and there is a switch and the dash indicator does show the three levels but I am unsure of how warm the grips should be. Help.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #208
num1husker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
heated grips

Yes all the indicators will be there, the switch, light on the dash, multiple level changes on the dash indicator but you still have to have the grips.
If you have factory heated grips there will be the feed power wire coming out of the grip like the one pictured below.
Hopes this helps
num1husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #209
num1husker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Wire connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
My GPS wire was pretty easy to get to with the left side panels off, the heated grip wires were a bit more of a challenge. One was behind a group of wires just front of the cylinder on the left side a bit to the inside. I then followed that left wire back to a thick bundle where the wire for the right side was coming out of that bundle about 6 inches towards the back of the bike still all on the left cylinder side.

Hopes that helps.
num1husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #210
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, I gotta get around to doing that. I'll remove the panels and look before lifting the tank.

If Im in there after the grip wires, may as well grab the GPS wires too.