Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #226
espi
scheming adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Well, I've gone back to the GPR exhaust on my Stelvio NTX.

I ordered and installed it shortly after buying the Guzzi. It was okay but, on the road, was a wee-bit too loud for me. It is the "racing" muffler with straight-through, no baffle discharge.

I removed it and replaced it with the stock unit while I investigated fitting an Akrapovic. In the mean time, I contacted the italians at GPR and they said they offered a DB killer for the muffler. I ordered one and installed it and all is fine now.

The GPR gives the bike a deep mellow tone but a huge benefit is the weight savings of installing the new muffler. I weighed both the stock muffler and the GPR Titanium. The GPR switch saves me 15 pounds !

If you order a GPR, I recommend that you be sure it is the version that comes with the baffle. Otherwise, you can order the baffle or DB killer separately for more money.

How bad did your MPG suffer with the aftermarket exhaust?
Thanks,

Espi

espi screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 08:55 AM
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #227
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,032
Ok reviewers, I have a 2004 GSA, love it. Does everything I ask plus. I reach MY limits before the bike reaches it. No issues.

The wife however, she is not as happy. The passenger seat to pegs measurement isn't good for her (I am looking for a solution that doesn't require getting rid of the old girl, I like my wife after all) and we end up stopping a lot.

The Stelvio is THE only option out there I like.

Anyone with a significant other who went from a 2004 GSA to Stelvio who may be able to give an opinion? Wife is 5'4" if that helps. Thanks.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #228
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
How bad did your MPG suffer with the aftermarket exhaust?
Thanks,

Espi

Ummm, suffer ??? Is it supposed to suffer ?

If so then something is wrong with mine. I picked up 1-2 mpg with the free-flowing exhaust and filter.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #229
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...13158&page=210

Dirtymartini didn't get good results.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #230
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Ok reviewers, I have a 2004 GSA, love it. Does everything I ask plus. I reach MY limits before the bike reaches it. No issues.

The wife however, she is not as happy. The passenger seat to pegs measurement isn't good for her (I am looking for a solution that doesn't require getting rid of the old girl, I like my wife after all) and we end up stopping a lot.

The Stelvio is THE only option out there I like.

Anyone with a significant other who went from a 2004 GSA to Stelvio who may be able to give an opinion? Wife is 5'4" if that helps. Thanks.
I had a 2003 R1150GS Adv a number of bikes ago. She didn't care for the stock GSA seat.
I got a deal on a heated Corbin, but it ended up being too low for my liking, and the rider's pocket took up the lion's share of the room....so the passenger didn't have a huge area when using a backrest.
That makes it tough to compare to the Stelvio, since she preferred many of my other bikes to the R1150GSA for road trips.

We took a 5,200 mile trip in August on the NTX, and she said it was the most comfortable back seat she's been on. (including ST1300, FJR1300, GL1800)
She's 5'-2" 115lbs. The shape is ideal -keeps her from sliding forward and just fits her. I have an Airhawk pad and a sheepskin gel pad I got for her to bring on the trip and compare....she didn't need/want either.

She had no problem staying on the bike for a tankful of gas at a time.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #231
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...13158&page=210

Dirtymartini didn't get good results.

Lolol, if you re-read his post, you will see that he installed a Fat Duc fuel enricher in addition to a different muffler (not GPR). I imagine the fuel enricher had something to do with greater fuel consumption!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #232
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I had a 2003 R1150GS Adv a number of bikes ago. She didn't care for the stock GSA seat.
I got a deal on a heated Corbin, but it ended up being too low for my liking, and the rider's pocket took up the lion's share of the room....so the passenger didn't have a huge area when using a backrest.
That makes it tough to compare to the Stelvio, since she preferred many of my other bikes to the R1150GSA for road trips.

We took a 5,200 mile trip in August on the NTX, and she said it was the most comfortable back seat she's been on. (including ST1300, FJR1300, GL1800)
She's 5'-2" 115lbs. The shape is ideal -keeps her from sliding forward and just fits her. I have an Airhawk pad and a sheepskin gel pad I got for her to bring on the trip and compare....she didn't need/want either.

She had no problem staying on the bike for a tankful of gas at a time.
Thanks! I'm not looking to dump the 1150, paid for and has been a bullet-proof fun companion. And if my wife gets her liscence like she keeps threatening may not be necessary.

Great to know there is an option...

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #233
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Okay, I am slowly getting my improvements done. Just finished the seat, backrest, rear rack and tail pack.

The seat is a custom Russell in vinyl. The rack is a thick aluminum piece designed for a Suzuki DL1000 from Adventure Moto Stuff. The backrest, as upholstered by Russell, and its support are fabricated from Harley-Davidson items.

I decided against the Guzzi hard case because of the uncomfortable backrest and size/hard nature of it.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #234
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
^ Looks like you are going to have a happy pillion on the back of that bike!
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #235
GabrielZD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Talking

Looks great! That is the best 2-up with luggage solution I have seen on a Stelvio. You could probably sell a rack/backrest setup like that if you made some more of them. Do you have any concerns with the weight on the little OEM rack when you have a large loaded bag as well as a passenger leaning against it? I am considering a Stelvio purchase and I usually ride with a passenger and luggage. I think you just showed me how to do that.
GabrielZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #236
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
In looking at the photos, something grabbed my attention… the proximity of the leading edge of the backrest mounting plate. I'd make very certain that there was NO possibility of it coming into contact with the pillion's lower spine / buttocks in the event of being rear-ended by a careless driver. Currently, just judging from the photos, it doesn't appear to have a margin of safety that I'd be comfortable with, given the seat will be under compression from the weight of the pillion.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #237
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Okay, I am slowly getting my improvements done. Just finished the seat, backrest, rear rack and tail pack.

The seat is a custom Russell in vinyl. The rack is a thick aluminum piece designed for a Suzuki DL1000 from Adventure Moto Stuff. The backrest, as upholstered by Russell, and its support are fabricated from Harley-Davidson items.

I decided against the Guzzi hard case because of the uncomfortable backrest and size/hard nature of it.

Very nice setup Leaf. Well done.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #238
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielZD View Post
... Do you have any concerns with the weight on the little OEM rack when you have a large loaded bag as well as a passenger leaning against it?
If you get under that little OEM rack there are two solid steel bars (approximately 2cm X 2cm) that are mounted to the rear frame of the bike. It's a substantial support system. I normally carry my Givi Rear Case on mine with 20 or lbs in it without problems.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #239
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Leafman I noted the rest of his report. But you can't blame it all on the FAT DUC. When you mess with these systems these days you have to go back through and check everything to make sure your changes are synced in. I like to think at the factory they spent a wee bit of time getting everything in line with the stock muffler. Still it sure would be fun if a Stelvio engineer could get on here and let us know what is what.

Thing is I love the sound of the stock muffler.

Took a ride through Kelly Canyon outside of Bozeman day before yesterday....probably the most perfect weather. 70 degrees, not a breath of wind, no moisture, and nothing but twisties with the wife on back. Sorry...no pictures.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #240
rpt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Guzzi Stelvio

Having run a service dept for a long time guzzi dealer it does not matter how great the bike may or may not be there is very little help from the factory when it comes to problems they just don't care. It starts from the top from something as simple as getting a part overnighted virtually impossible. draw ones own conclusion
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote