Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #241
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpt View Post
Having run a service dept for a long time guzzi dealer it does not matter how great the bike may or may not be there is very little help from the factory when it comes to problems they just don't care. It starts from the top from something as simple as getting a part overnighted virtually impossible. draw ones own conclusion
How long ago did you run this dept?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #242
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Good question SM
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #243
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
How long ago did you run this dept?

-SM
exactly.

I haven't had any warranty issues on the Stelvio, but my previous Guzzi required a bit of warranty work a couple of times.
The dealer (important to have a good one) had no problem getting any issues taken care of, and a couple of them were not cheap to fix. No questions asked.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #244
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 179
I may be getting a Stelvio shortly but I wanted to ask you owners about reliability. Is there anything that is a problem with the bike or brand?

My goal is to make a month long trip to Alaska on one. Anything about the bike that would concern you on a trip like that? Lack of dealer network?

Thanks.

2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
1991 Suzuki GSX1100G - For Sale
1980 Kawaski KDX 250
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #245
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefJeff View Post
I may be getting a Stelvio shortly but I wanted to ask you owners about reliability. Is there anything that is a problem with the bike or brand?

My goal is to make a month long trip to Alaska on one. Anything about the bike that would concern you on a trip like that? Lack of dealer network?

Thanks.
I got my Stelvio for exactly that purpose: long(ish) trips to remote(ish) places and I didn't want to worry about it stranding me.

As near as I can tell, Guzzi got this one right. Read various forums and you'll find that there doesn't seem to be the "fatal flaw" that tends to plague other brands (BMW - final drive, fuel pump, KTM - fuel pump, water pump, etc.) that will leave you stranded. I'd put the Tenere in the same camp as the Guzzi - so far, they just seem to work (the big Tiger Explorer is too new to really know how it will hold up).

Lack of dealer network? Yep. That's the one area that I wish Piaggio Group of America (PGA) would fix. Well, not just ADD dealers, but cull the leaches that just want to sell the brand but not service it. The good news is these bikes are pretty easy to maintain on your own, and rarely, if ever, NEED to see a dealer. Valves? Heads are right there and the adjusters are screw-type. Sync throttle bodies? $10 in parts gets you a home-made manometer to do the job. And so on. Maintenance parts are stocked by any number of quality Guzzi dealers nationwide and can be shipped to you the same day you order them. Where you really need a quality dealer is if you have a serious warranty claim. Knock on wood there haven't been any issues on the '12's where I've heard that's been needed, but it's the "elephant in the room" when folks consider plunking down $15k+ for one of these beasts. I happen to have what I think is a quality dealer 100 miles away, so for me, that covers my "elephant" worries. I know others will chime in who have a good dealer 3-400 miles away and they're still unconcerned. The real lucky bastages are the ones with a good dealer just a short distance away, and all I can say to them is

I'm sure others will chime in here, but I wouldn't skip the Guzzi due to reliability or dealer concerns. Ride one and see if it's for you....

-SM
Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #246
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:

Lack of dealer network? Yep. That's the one area that I wish Piaggio Group of America (PGA) would fix. Well, not just ADD dealers, but cull the leaches that just want to sell the brand but not service it.

-SM
I've had a major hardon for a Griso, a Norge and now the Stelvio. I've also had the urge to get an older classic for fun, but that's not a strong urge like the others.

I won't go near any brand with such a crap dealer network. BMW is bad enough, there are times I've been more than 600 miles from the nearest dealer, and it's a sucky feeling. No way I want to be that far when I'm home.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #247
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 768
Quote:

Thanks.
I did that trip this year. My 09 Stelvio (bought in 10 as a leftover) was flawless. In fact the 08 Norge, 11 Griso SE 8v, and 04 LeMans Nero Corsa also along on the trip were all flawless.

I've got 35,000 miles on my Stelvio and the few minor issues I've had (peeling paint around the gas filler) have been dealt with quickly and efficiently by my dealer. The bike has been flawless mechanically.

Jump on in. The water's fine.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #248
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
There is the old Guzzi network, and now the new. You will see a lot of new dealers I predict. They indeed will have to prove themselves. I am not a whiner, I am particular with tolerance. I think service is key pin to a satisfying ownership experience. How far, up to a limit, I have to go to see a dealership is not real important as I live in Montana...everything is far away. So far Empire Cycle in Spokane has been responsive.

I have owned BMW for 10 years. I like to hob nob with the people at their dealerships and the problem for that brand goes very very deep. The people at the head of BMW have an attitude, partially earned, but its been there for a long time. They demand a rediculous amount from their dealers, seldom listen well to their customers, and despite an air of superiority they deliver a mediocre product. Sure if I can just stop in regularly and get all their tune up stuff done it will most likely run like a champ....or course I would probably be better off just hiring a private mechanic and have him live in our guest house (small apartment)...it would be cheaper.

When I mentioned to the Guzzi folks I was only a fair mechanic they chuckled and said no problem. To save me the miles they packed up all that I needed to do for it for its first check up including a service manual.
I like that. I will let you know how I do. There was an air of teamwork and gunho ....I like that.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #249
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:

Thanks.
I bought into CARC guzzi with a Griso. Short hops, around town bike. I was so impressed with the build quality that I plopped down $16k on a 2012 Stelvio. I had faith enough in the bike that I put 1k miles on, did the first service, then put 2.5k miles on in 8 days without ever looking at the dealer map. I'd do it again tomorrow without issue.

I wouldn't worrry about dealers. You don't need them very often, if ever.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #250
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I've had a major hardon for a Griso, a Norge and now the Stelvio. I've also had the urge to get an older classic for fun, but that's not a strong urge like the others.

I won't go near any brand with such a crap dealer network. BMW is bad enough, there are times I've been more than 600 miles from the nearest dealer, and it's a sucky feeling. No way I want to be that far when I'm home.

Totally understand, and for some, that "elephant in the room" just sat on them....*squish*. Everyone has their own tolerance levels, and I totally get it when folks don't want to service their own bike (I barely have time to ride let alone work on my bike....my time is precious so I'd rather pay someone else to do it) and don't want to go 2+ hrs each way for someone else to do it.

The good news is there are other brands out there, and lots to choose from right now in the big trailie segment. Get what works for YOU (bike, dealer, etc) and be happy.

-SM
Old 10-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #251
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,656
Quote:
Is there anything that is a problem with the bike or brand?
nope.

Top notch build quality, top notch components, minimal-to-none in the Italian quirk department....

I cover a lot of miles in a year, most of it solo and and much of it in the wide open spaces. I took a two week trip in August covering 5,200 miles and wouldn't hesitate to take it to Alaska - that's one trip I had in mind when I bought the bike.

A good, supportive dealer who knows the brand and can set them up with properly (TB synch, etc) will go a long way towards you being happy.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #252
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I have to mildly disagree with Blake. All the top notch stuff I have to agree with. But, when I started out I was bound for Alaska. I had some teething problems which got sorted out pretty quickly but had me wondering where I would get support for this bike in Alaska. So I swung my itinerary around to put Alaska at the end of the trip. Turns out my first problem was a simple tank vent tube pinched under the tank and a factory set Sync out of sync but still... If your not a gearhead, you may be in trouble. With all the in shop work I've had do in the 13000 miles I've now put on, I have learned enough to keep this bike running as a top notch machine. One tech had removed the cover over the starter motor and spent way too much time trying to find out why the bike had gone totally dead. Lesson learned for me. There is not one but two grounds from the battery there. So, if you've got a completely dead bike, check here first. And, I gotta say, either this guy or the last guy pulled or knocked off the clip on ignition/starter wire at that point which had me having lunch in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception finding the solenoid clicking and not starting. With lessons learned I was able to find the problem there and was on my way.
The other thing that has been happening with me has been the sync seemingly being whacked out by a good bump in the road. Dont really know if this is the reason that Todd is selling the Autotune but I am suspect. So, for me it is looking like I need to invest in a TB sync tool. Then there's the TPS. This is a simple push of a button on the shop computer that just zeros the TPS? I need to pick up a simple ($50) tool to do this. Then I'd be all set. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying this bike immensely. As for distance and comfort riding? It cant be be beat.
The ubertune from Redline had them hand me a list that should be addressed. They said the forks have play in them and should be rebuilt. I've jerked the wheel around and could not detect anything. They said the front disks are warped but I also find this minimal. They also said They could not get rid of all the decel pop because I had an exhaust leak. Went after this yesterday. Found the headers to 2 into 1 pipes had worked their ways loose, one enough to cause a leak. Loosed the clamps and was able to kick them in tight. Leaks stopped but I still got decel pop. Not that I care.
Altho I really hope I don't need to see any more dealers except for maybe some warranty work, it is looking like Florida has three Guzzi dealers! That's a record.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #253
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I have to mildly disagree with Blake. All the top notch stuff I have to agree with. But, when I started out I was bound for Alaska. I had some teething problems which got sorted out pretty quickly but had me wondering where I would get support for this bike in Alaska. So I swung my itinerary around to put Alaska at the end of the trip. Turns out my first problem was a simple tank vent tube pinched under the tank and a factory set Sync out of sync but still... If your not a gearhead, you may be in trouble. With all the in shop work I've had do in the 13000 miles I've now put on, I have learned enough to keep this bike running as a top notch machine. One tech had removed the cover over the starter motor and spent way too much time trying to find out why the bike had gone totally dead. Lesson learned for me. There is not one but two grounds from the battery there. So, if you've got a completely dead bike, check here first. And, I gotta say, either this guy or the last guy pulled or knocked off the clip on ignition/starter wire at that point which had me having lunch in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception finding the solenoid clicking and not starting. With lessons learned I was able to find the problem there and was on my way.
The other thing that has been happening with me has been the sync seemingly being whacked out by a good bump in the road. Dont really know if this is the reason that Todd is selling the Autotune but I am suspect. So, for me it is looking like I need to invest in a TB sync tool. Then there's the TPS. This is a simple push of a button on the shop computer that just zeros the TPS? I need to pick up a simple ($50) tool to do this. Then I'd be all set. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying this bike immensely. As for distance and comfort riding? It cant be be beat.
The ubertune from Redline had them hand me a list that should be addressed. They said the forks have play in them and should be rebuilt. I've jerked the wheel around and could not detect anything. They said the front disks are warped but I also find this minimal. They also said They could not get rid of all the decel pop because I had an exhaust leak. Went after this yesterday. Found the headers to 2 into 1 pipes had worked their ways loose, one enough to cause a leak. Loosed the clamps and was able to kick them in tight. Leaks stopped but I still got decel pop. Not that I care.
Altho I really hope I don't need to see any more dealers except for maybe some warranty work, it is looking like Florida has three Guzzi dealers! That's a record.
In fairness Toad, if I remember correctly, your pinched vent tube was "human induced" because the tank had been taken off to install heated grips, and your starter clip issue sounds like a similar deal. I don't think those can be attributed to poor build quality or workmanship on the bike, which is what Blake was commenting on.

FWIW, I've never heard of the TB sync going out of whack over a bump....that's just odd, and if I were you and was traveling around the country, I'd stop in at one of the well-known Guzzi shops and ask them to look at the TB situation. That just shouldn't happen, and looking at the rod that links the TB's together, I don't even know how a jolt could effect it. Over time, sure, anything mechanical will wear, but it would take many thousands of miles to wear those components to the point where you would feel a difference. I suspect there's something else going on, and a quality shop should be able to diagnose it for you.

Where I will agree is there are some issues with aftermarket parts like the Trax pannier seals not keeping water out (but that happens with ALL Trax panniers, not just the ones put on the Guzzi) and the poor wiring in the Hella aux lights (and the lights actually falling off!). My left aux light just shorted and blew my headlight fuse, and upon inspection the wiring in the aux light looked like it had been through a war. Note, this is wiring INSIDE the light body! It was worn through and burnt in at least 4 places, so it had been arcing for a while before it finally took out the fuse. The fix was simple (remove the excess wiring inside the light body and reconnect at the proper length so it won't rub, ever) and I have no clue why the Hella's have the positive lead connected/routed like it is. It is going to fail, period. It's a poor design and as I understand it, is now part of a Guzzi Service Bulletin that will be addressed when you take your bike in. I can't fault Guzzi for poor execution by a respected vendor like Hella.

All the best, and safe travels. I suspect your Alaska leg will be in the summer of '13 now, 'cause the snows are starting to fly up there so this year is done. By then you should have plenty of miles on the beast and she'll be running like a top.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 03:42 PM
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #254
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
In fairness Toad, if I remember correctly, your pinched vent tube was "human induced" because the tank had been taken off to install heated grips, and your starter clip issue sounds like a similar deal. I don't think those can be attributed to poor build quality or workmanship on the bike.-SM
No, I said I agreed with Blake on the superior build of the bike. The pinched vent tube was my bad but I still say you should 'know the bike' before you head into any wilderness where there is no service within 1000 miles. And, ya. Alaska will be next summer on my way back.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #255
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I still say you should 'know the bike' before you head into any wilderness where there is no service within 1000 miles.
Excellent point, and I totally agree.....but how many of us do that? Or even CAN do that given the complexity of the bikes these days? That's one of the reasons I decided to go w/ the Stelvio.....simplicity (on a relative scale). At the opposite end of the spectrum, I wonder how the BMW GS crowd is going to fare when the '13's come out and they start taking them for rideabouts? Many don't know the first thing about how their bike works as they are today....imagine throwing in riding modes, semi-active suspension, traction control, cruise control....holy cow! You'd need a PhD in electro-mechanical engineering just to know where to START diagnosing a problem. No thanks...at least not until the engineers realize that these bikes go places where people can get stranded and start incorporating "limp home mode". Until then, I'll ride the Guzzi and feel secure knowing that aside from a catastrophic electrical (ECU) or mechanical (top/bottom end) failure, I'll be able to fix what breaks and carry on.....and so far other NTX owners aren't finding any of those "show stoppers" (reaching for wood..... ).

-SM