User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #106
uzidzit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
The lighting on the stella

I swapped on my set of kristas off the strom, and moved the stellas to the strom. If you want light kristas+factory stelvio lights are like looking into the sun.
uzidzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #107
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
I will be glad to get to the point of changing my tires. The stock Scorpions work very well on the road and they have surprised me in the sand/mud but I would rather have something more agressive.

Metzeler TKC 80s would be great on any surface but they just don't last very long.

I will probably change to a pair of Michelin Anakee 2 tires. They have served me well on several bikes, in many situations.

Stock tire

leafman60 screwed with this post 07-24-2012 at 04:55 AM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #108
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
I will be glad to get to the point of changing my tires. The stock Scorpions work very well on the road and they have surprised me in the sand/mud but I would rather have something more agressive.

Metzeler TKC 80s would be great on any surface but they just don't last very long.
I will probably change to a pair of Michelin Anakee 2 tires. They have served me well on several bikes, in many situations.Stock tire
How about a Hiendeau K60 scout?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #109
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
How about a Hiendeau K60 scout?

they work really well on the NTX
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #110
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, I'm familiar with them but what sort of mileage do you get with them and how do they do on wet pavement ?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #111
Luma46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzidzit View Post
Moto Guzzi include a set of 3 matched lock barrels (under the seat with the manual), to the factory bag locks for givi luggage, so you can add a givi top box and have it keyed to the factory side cases if you wish.
Now wait a second, these spare lock barrels are for Givi luggage, monolock or monokey? Are you sure about it?
2006 BMW R1200GS - sold
At least another dozen bikes in last 20 years
Luma46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #112
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
Yes, I'm familiar with them but what sort of mileage do you get with them and how do they do on wet pavement ?
The KTM guys (I have one on my 990) are getting 5-7k miles out of a rear. I have them F&R on mine. Don't have an idea of mileage, but they are holding up great.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #113
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Lots of threads on them, easy to get more familiar.

Mine show very little wear at 2700 miles, and they do very well on wet pavement. The little I've had them offroad they are stable and feel planted in loose marbles.
On dry pavement they are confidence inspiring when you pick up the pace on a twisty road.

Next week I head out on a multi-thousand mile, 18 day trip....will be able to say how they hold up when I get back. I've read good things about their lifespan, but it's early to tell.

I've run TKC's before (R1150GSA) and they are very short lived.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:02 AM   #114
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I get mixed input back on the Heidenau's. Many of the reviews are not positive. Handling issues, low mileage and other issues are mentioned. I realize that other people's experiences do not always apply to your own situation, though.

I will be interested in hearing back from a Stelvio rider.

Mefo was touted for a while as an excellent tire and I tried a pair. They were great off-road but, on pavement with a little rain, they scared the peejoobies out of me. They kept wanting to slide out on me.

leafman60 screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 04:27 AM
Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #115
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
I get mixed input back on the Heidenau's. Many of the reviews are not positive. Handling issues, low mileage and other issues are mentioned.
I've read just the opposite, and that's what nudged me into trying out a set. The folks whose opinion I listened to were fast offroad riders on big KTM Adventures and such.
My background includes decades of offroad riding on dirtbikes as well as street.... though I don't expect I'll subject the NTX to that sort of aggressive offroad - I do want the tires to be up to the task, and last.

I was more interested in a good offroad tire that had acceptable mileage on pavement, after wearing a set of TKC's out pretty quickly.
The Heidenau surprised me with it's on road handling, wet or dry.

The main plus I'd read about was how long lived they were - though the Scout in 150/70-17 with the center tread block was reported to be a little less aggressive offroad, and some of the mileage reports were lower than the K60 'standard'.

Based on how much wear I'm seeing now, I fully expect these tires to go 6,000 miles minimum - twice what the TKC gave me. I have read reports of them going 9,000 miles or more, but I don't expect that at all.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #116
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

6000 miles on a rear would be fine. That's about what I get with the Anakees.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #117
AlphaDogDaddy
AlphaDogDaddy

Oddometer: 23
NTX or 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
The KTM guys (I have one on my 990) are getting 5-7k miles out of a rear. I have them F&R on mine. Don't have an idea of mileage, but they are holding up great.

I see you have a KTM and a Guzzi. Question ~ I plan to buy another Adventure bike in October. Currently I have a '09 BMW GS Adventure, which will now live at my place in Maine. However, I spend 9 months in the Texas Hill Country. I had looked at an '09 Stelvio before I bought my GS Adventure and did not like it, in comparison. When I get back to Texas I was going to get a KTM 990 Adventure, to switch things up a little. Now I am thinking I should look at a NTX? How do the two bikes compare?
AlphaDogDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #118
Gravel grinder
2 Wheeler

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I've read just the opposite, and that's what nudged me into trying out a set. The folks whose opinion I listened to were fast offroad riders on big KTM Adventures and such.
My background includes decades of offroad riding on dirtbikes as well as street.... though I don't expect I'll subject the NTX to that sort of aggressive offroad - I do want the tires to be up to the task, and last.

I was more interested in a good offroad tire that had acceptable mileage on pavement, after wearing a set of TKC's out pretty quickly.
The Heidenau surprised me with it's on road handling, wet or dry.

The main plus I'd read about was how long lived they were - though the Scout in 150/70-17 with the center tread block was reported to be a little less aggressive offroad, and some of the mileage reports were lower than the K60 'standard'.

Based on how much wear I'm seeing now, I fully expect these tires to go 6,000 miles minimum - twice what the TKC gave me. I have read reports of them going 9,000 miles or more, but I don't expect that at all.
I did an 8000 km round trip in June with a couple friends. We traveled from southern Alberta to the Northwest Territories, the Yukon, Alaska, and the pinnacle of the Arctic Circle via the Dempster. I had Anakees on my Strom, another had the Heidenau's, and the third had Mefo's - they were both riding KLR's. Most of the mileage was asphalt, but a fair amount of gravel. We experienced a variety of weather and road surface. All the tires worked well. The Heidenau's and the Mefo's wore pretty well identically. Both were less sure on wet roads, but never an issue. Both did equally as well on gravel. However, upon our return, the Mefo's had started to chunk and de-laminate but the Heidenau's were fine. No better comparison - definitely the Heidenau's. Many others we met riding large adv's raved about the Heidenau's, but we did not run into another using Mefo's....... The Anakee's were awesome and really surprised me on gravel with their stability and composure. Never had to air them down like I've done in the past. I cannot say enough positive about them and would not look too far for the next set on a big trailee. I've got about 9500 Kms on them now (mostly pavement) and I suspect that I've got another 2 to 3000 Kms before needing to replace.

Gravel grinder screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 08:16 AM Reason: Spelling error
Gravel grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #119
num1husker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
pulled the trigger on a NTX

After much research and a little bit of help from the LeafMan's post I nutted up and purchased the NTX today. I only had a brief ride on it but I will get it through the break in period and report back. I have a a smorgasbord of cylinder configurations sitting in the garage that include Italian twins in different angles, a British triple, and German and Italian singles, even a couple Japanese V twins, this is the first Guzzi and am looking forward to see how I like it.

Again thanks for all the people who post, there is a mountain of information on this site that covers many categories.

jr
num1husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #120
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Congratulations ! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. We all look forward to hearing from you and your experiences.