Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #121
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
If you intend to ride on surfaces other than pavement frequently you owe it to the Stelvio to check these out. They work well on tarmac but there is a bit of tire howl. Amazingly good on other surfaces.

And they look good too!

Mitas E07

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #122
mup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
NTX compared to Vee

I am curious how those of you with experience with both bikes would compare them and which one you would choose to have. I have a 2007 Vee with all Givi luggage, screen and crash bars, as well as the Madstad, fork brace, etc. I have not needed any controllers and it has been dead-nuts reliable. But, I still oogle other bikes. I don't feel as confident off road as I thought I might, but I only had the KLR to compare. I keep looking at the Tenere and Explorer, but too much controversy surrounds them. The GS is not a contender. Thanks for any advice anyone may have - M
mup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #123
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by mup View Post
I keep looking at the Tenere and Explorer, but too much controversy surrounds them.
Controversy? What'chu talkin bout Willis?
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #124
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
ah Mitas E07s
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
If you intend to ride on surfaces other than pavement frequently you owe it to the Stelvio to check these out. They work well on tarmac but there is a bit of tire howl. Amazingly good on other surfaces.

And they look good too!

Mitas E07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #125
mup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Controversy? What'chu talkin bout Willis?
I've read a few stories of bugs in Explorer and flat power in the Tenere (clutch jumper notwithstanding). Sorry, I don't have specifics, and I'm sure they are small nits to pick that will probably be addressed.
mup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #126
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,659
7,300 miles - 5k on this road trip alone...

IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 09:16 AM
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #127
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Looking good Blake. And, as I recall, you were riding two-up so were heavily loaded. Does it look like you will be able to get 10K miles out of them?
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #128
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
Looking good Blake. And, as I recall, you were riding two-up so were heavily loaded. Does it look like you will be able to get 10K miles out of them?
Two-up with gear for a few weeks on the road. They will be at 8,000 miles when we get back. Judging by how they look now compared to 5,700 miles the rear could do 10k, the front for sure will. Pleasantly surprised.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #129
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
I'm looking for a Uly replacement at some point too- Don't really need the adventure bike style, but I do apprecaite the pure utility of hauling a lot of crap on a bike, can do a little bit of everything and a bike that doesn't look like total crap when I only wash it once a year.

The Guzzi intrigues me- I like oddball bikes (like the Uly), but have also comtemplated the Tenere and Explorer. Can any of you comment on the on-road riding differences between these 3 machines, or just generally how the Guzzi does in the twisties? I ride mountain road a lot with the Uly, really don't want to give up much performance...

Thanks!
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #130
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior View Post
I'm looking for a Uly replacement at some point too- Don't really need the adventure bike style, but I do apprecaite the pure utility of hauling a lot of crap on a bike, can do a little bit of everything and a bike that doesn't look like total crap when I only wash it once a year.

The Guzzi intrigues me- I like oddball bikes (like the Uly), but have also comtemplated the Tenere and Explorer. Can any of you comment on the on-road riding differences between these 3 machines, or just generally how the Guzzi does in the twisties? I ride mountain road a lot with the Uly, really don't want to give up much performance...

Thanks!
I can't comment on the Explorer because I haven't ridden that bike, but I test rode the Tenere before I bought the Stelvio. I can tell you that in my opinion, the Stelvio is more nimble than the Tenere on the twisty bits, even though the Guzzi is heavier. Both bikes carry their girth down low and are very well balanced, and they have nearly identical wheelbase and rake angles, but the Guzzi seems much more willing to turn in. As a result, side to side transitions are quicker on the Stelvio. Both bikes are also extremely stable and "planted" at speed.

I hope that helps.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #131
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior View Post

Thanks!

Read this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451014

I rode a Uly two-up to get the Stelvio, rode it two-up and by pure chance I found another guy two-up on a Uly and we rode Titus Canyon together in Death Valley, then I dumped my passenger at home and flogged the Stelvio by myself before going back to get my Uly.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #132
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
This thread has really piqued my interest in the Stelvio. I'd be curious to know, how has it been with getting spares? Any areas that are known trouble spots/foibles?

I'm coming from a 2000 Concours, and plan on keeping that as my grocery-getter and all around "daily bike." The next big tourer is going to be some sort of adventure tourer, and I've already eliminated the GS/GSA (too expensive, personally didn't care for it much, and all the final drive/electrical failures would give me and OCD heart attack), the Super Tenere (very nice bike, but no storage cubbies, didn't particularly care for the brakes/handling in tight twisties), and the KTM 990 Adventure (I am NOT spending an hour and a half JUST to change the friggin' oil...).

So that leaves this, the KLR (not quite in the same league, I know, but it's a good all-rounder. Slow as shit, but still good...), the V-Strom 1000 (lovely bike, just maybe not so good off-road? I want to go to Moab, and do the Labrador highway, and possibly the Arctic Circle, then head on down to Brazil.)

I ride more each year, and I'd venture a guess that in 2012 I'll hit 20k by November, so I like the ease of maintenance that this bike seems to have. Has it been fairly simple to maintain, overall? Does it require special oil, filters or plugs?

I like simple things, the simpler, the better!
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #133
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
This thread has really piqued my interest in the Stelvio. I'd be curious to know, how has it been with getting spares? Any areas that are known trouble spots/foibles?

I'm coming from a 2000 Concours, and plan on keeping that as my grocery-getter and all around "daily bike." The next big tourer is going to be some sort of adventure tourer, and I've already eliminated the GS/GSA (too expensive, personally didn't care for it much, and all the final drive/electrical failures would give me and OCD heart attack), the Super Tenere (very nice bike, but no storage cubbies, didn't particularly care for the brakes/handling in tight twisties), and the KTM 990 Adventure (I am NOT spending an hour and a half JUST to change the friggin' oil...).

So that leaves this, the KLR (not quite in the same league, I know, but it's a good all-rounder. Slow as shit, but still good...), the V-Strom 1000 (lovely bike, just maybe not so good off-road? I want to go to Moab, and do the Labrador highway, and possibly the Arctic Circle, then head on down to Brazil.)

I ride more each year, and I'd venture a guess that in 2012 I'll hit 20k by November, so I like the ease of maintenance that this bike seems to have. Has it been fairly simple to maintain, overall? Does it require special oil, filters or plugs?

I like simple things, the simpler, the better!
I currently have both a '12 Stelvio NTX (the Cool Orange) and an '09 Wee-ABS (although it's for sale). For what you describe you want, I would suggest a 650 Strom ABS. They are basically bullet-proof, maintenance is about the same (except for doing the valves), and they can be set up to carry the same amount and do the same job. Plus, they're significantly lighter. Remember, the Stelvio is 660# Wet, before you load it and get on it. For the off-road situations you describe for your future, that's a load!

However, if you were to use your bike like I do -- long distance touring and camping trips, basically all road riding -- then the Stelvio is the better bike. There the increased weight becomes your friend, particularly in high, gusty wind conditions.

You need to set your priorities on the kind of riding you'll really be doing. Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #134
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 133
If I had known it weighed 660 lbs wet I wouldn't have bought mine. Web site claims 598 lbs. But honestly, I don't notice the weight and am very happy with mine after 2000 miles in the first month. Maintenance is easy except for the throttle sync/balance which I let the dealer do.

If I had a choice of grocery shopping in the concours vs the NTX, I'd take the big boxes of the NTX. In fact I just got back from the grocery store.

If you get a different bike you'll always wonder if you shouldn't have gotten the NTX. Go ahead and get it, it just keeps getting better.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #135
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
So far there don't seem to be any trouble spots, much like the Tenere in that respect. Keep in mind though, there really isn't anything all that "new" about the NTX. The engine has been around for years, as has the final drive. The bike as a whole is ridiculously overbuilt, which is the main reason for the weight, but Guzzis are known for their longevity, which is a fair trade off IMO.

What I tell everyone is to ride one. They are different from anything else. Down low it pulls like a train, and once in the middle/upper revs, it goes like a 60's muscle car (and sounds like one). At idle it rumbles and shakes, but once under power it's very smooth for a big twin. Stock, on decel it pops and farts (too lean thanks to EPA regs), but that too is just part of the overall package that reminds you that you're not on a cookie cutter bike. For some it's really intoxicating, but others not so much. If you're a spec sheet sniffer, move along....nothing to see here. It's heavy, doesn't win the HP race, and won't win a drag race with the other bikes in the class. What it does do is make obscene amounts of power way down low, with 60-70% of max torque available at idle, and 80-90% of max torque from 2000 rpm. She'll haul a big load a long way in comfort, and with the 8.5 gallon fuel tank, will provide 300+ mile range while doing it.

Put your gear on and go visit a dealer that allows test rides and see if it's for you.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote