Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
hdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I pad &garmin

I need to know if anyone has loaded there garmin via an iPad with oz topo and city . Untill recently I have always taken my windows notebook with me loaded with map source/ garmin city nav and oz topo, this alows me to plan my next days ride on the road and has worked extremely well, my notebook has blown a hard drive and was thinking of buying an I pad. I have been told I can't run map source through I pad withy garmin software. Can anyone expand on this please???

KTM 1190 R

KTM 690 R
hdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog View Post
I have been told I can't run map source through I pad withy garmin software.
Sadly this is true.
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...highlight=ipad
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736403

Using a Tablet PC:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750040
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743933

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 02:47 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog View Post
I need to know if anyone has loaded there garmin via an iPad with oz topo and city . Untill recently I have always taken my windows notebook with me loaded with map source/ garmin city nav and oz topo, this alows me to plan my next days ride on the road and has worked extremely well, my notebook has blown a hard drive and was thinking of buying an I pad. I have been told I can't run map source through I pad withy garmin software. Can anyone expand on this please???
You cannot run the mapsource or Basecamp applications on the iPad. The iPad (and iPhone) uses an operating system called iOS. The Garmin applications mentioned run only on the Windows (PC) and OSX (Mac) operating systems.

I recommend a Windows based Netbook ($180-299) if you feel you need these Garmin applications on the road, or a Macbook Air if you have the money ($900-1500).
Old 07-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
hdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Thanks for your knowledge Daryl &Lhendrik you have confirmed what I thought may be the case....looks like a new hard drive is the go...

KTM 1190 R

KTM 690 R
hdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
If you don't mind a smaller size (capacity) at greater cost, look into replacing the blown hard drive with a SSD. No moving parts, faster and lower power consumption.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
i have the same problem. i want to take my ipad with me on trips and plan routes and use the internet instead of my old macbook. searching the internet i found a way to tranfer gpx files from the ipad to a garmin gps

you would need a program to plan your routes and store them as gpx files.

hope this is useful
josef

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
jonpurdy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I found the iPad to be lacking on long trips. For photos, I couldn't geotag my SLR images with it. For maps, I couldn't transfer my Google maps to my Garmin.

I left my MacBook Air at home during my last trip but I think I'll bring it next time.
jonpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
i have the same problem. i want to take my ipad with me on trips and plan routes and use the internet instead of my old macbook. searching the internet i found a way to tranfer gpx files from the ipad to a garmin gps

you would need a program to plan your routes and store them as gpx files.

hope this is useful
josef
This additionally uses an Airstash wifi SD card reader/writer. The method of transferring information will work with some units, but not all, and you can only transfer GPX files - I don't think that Mapsource and Basecamp have been ported to the iPad.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
I found the iPad to be lacking on long trips. For photos, I couldn't geotag my SLR images with it. For maps, I couldn't transfer my Google maps to my Garmin.

I left my MacBook Air at home during my last trip but I think I'll bring it next time.
+1 : The Macbook Air may be the best overall solution to on the road computing. Solid state HD, lots of power, good battery life, great screen, light weight, can run WIndoze(!) if needed (ech!) runs Basecamp and photo/video editing easily. While I have lots of notebooks (too big), netbooks (too slow and cramped), an iPad ( good for reading, email, surfing) and a Macbook Pro (overkill and heavy) I will probably take a Macbook Air on next trip.

My extended family loves me, every time I have a new need someone gets a used laptop or gizmo to inherit.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
A newer generation Netbook may be the best solution. You aren't faced with carrying a big over-priced laptop, you can have half a day of run time, and days of standby, and the small size means you can stil carry your iPad along with you.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
BaseCamp iOS?

If the above isn't what you were hoping for you might want to keep an eye on Garmin's website. . .

From the Press Release for the Garmin fēnix:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin fēnix Press Release
A Basecamp mobile app allows users to transfer waypoints and tracklogs to view them on a more detailed map and larger screen of select smartphones. The availability of Garmin’s Basecamp app might differ from the market availability of fēnix.
So, no commitment to iOS and more specifically the iPad but maybe in my GPSing-lifetime.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
FWIW, I am unsure about the ability of the iPad to interface with USB devices, specifically a Garmin GPS. The USB interface is currently limited to keyboards, card readers, and a camera USB storage profile. I do not believe that iOS has support for end-user installed USB device profiles, which means even if there was a version of BaseCamp for iOS, it could not interface with a Garmin GPS.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
While we can't run Garmin Basecamp using an iPad, the newer generation Garmin gps's work well as a usb drive. Basecamp can be configured to run off the SDcard in the gps. This way if you're traveling without a Laptop or Netbook and need to create routes or tracks, all you need to do is find a computer, plug your USB or SD card into the computer and run BaseCamp from the storage device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Details here.
daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
If you happen to be interested in Garmin's fēnix GPS watch, you might have come across this cryptic pre-announcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin fēnix Press Release
A Basecamp mobile app allows users to transfer waypoints and tracklogs to view them on a more detailed map and larger screen of select smartphones.
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
If Basecamp had been OK on the iPad I would have considered buying the iPad as travel companion - for sheer portability. I got tired of Garmin dragging their feet on the subject, so I went for the 11" Macbook Air instead. I got instant Basecamp functionality in the MBA and sure hope Garmin gets unstuck on their mobile platform gadget policy. There must be a huge market out there drooling for iPad/Garmin Basecamp compatibility. I guess Windows 8 will bring some new thinking in the corporate Garmin software policy too
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote