Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #91
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by esblow View Post
Add me to that list also. Anybody remember the early anti-dive fork systems from the 80's?
Yeah, I had a GSX1100EFF with antidive. I reckon it worked ok, needed development, but a neat concept.

In saying that, the bike handled like a house, stopped like a freight train....but by god did it go!

I set a Police high speed pursuit record on that baby. Probably still stands. I should write to them and ask.

Do you think they'd see the funny side of it?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #92
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
I thought 16l was four gallons and that the F650GS has an 18l tank or 4.5 gallon tank.
Not sure about you guys south of the border but here in Metric Land Canada both the F658GS and F800GS have 16l tanks and always have. My wife's 09 does and my old F8 did. Not sure where your getting 18l from but it must be in the conversion.

So, I guess there won't be a F800GSA coming out anytime soon, with a larger tank (23-27l would be perfect) and adjustable fairing, etc? I was so hoping for such a bike cause to me the current F8GS is not the adventure version in no way shape or form. It lacks the range as a result of a larger tank and the necessary other extras to make it such. The only thing it has on it's side is the 21" front wheel.
Wake the F*** up BMW and design/build a REAL 800 adventure bike for us guys who want one....If you build it we will Come....

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #93
TFB43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Just traded for the 800gs 2012 model.

If anyone would like an update or face lift to another model, let me know. It seem whenever I purchase a new vehicle the next model year is redesigned. That being said, I am happy with my 2012 model. Not that much different. I would like to see the new water cooled 1200gs though.
TFB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #94
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
I STILL don't get BMW's take on this model. First calling it a 650, now a 700. Pumping up the hp/torque a bit, but come on, through in the powerplant of the GS800 and call it a day. Is even a beginner gonna get into that much more trouble with those extra 10 horses?
Don't get me wrong, I really like the bike. Just would have a hard time throwing my money down when I could pick up a Tiger with more horses. But I guess I'd have to ride both first, then make up my mind.
No, do not throw in the F800GS motor. Thats what the F800GS is for.

The F650/700GS motor has a much better low end and midrange powerband
for people who want that kind of power and not the top end concentrated F800GS powerband.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #95
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,870
More & more I am liking the F700GS. But... they reduced travel by 10mm in the forks and with the added disc certainly put a more street oriented spin on it (probably sharpened its street handling).
I do like to look at what I ride and I feel the aesthetics are improved.
Moving the power up the rpm band may hurt its diesel character. BMW probably thought the 650 had too much on the bottom (or lack thereof on top).
BMW seems a bit confused, but the next generation of riders buying the 700 will probably rave about it.
I would love to 'long travel' the 700. I could make it a stellar bike.
Sounds dangerous.

Maxacceleration screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 08:30 AM
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #96
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Don't forget ADV is an Internet source. Think of it as a library, where you never heard of the authors. It requires some ability to separate the wheat from the chaff. Whether you can do that requires a little knowledge and experience, or you can just make fun of it.

I think BMW realized their mistake in calling this bike a 650. At least now there is some way to differentiate the models. I think the changes are a plus. They also lowered the gearing a tad, so you should feel the added power a little more.

We seem to get all hung up on HP differences, especially comparing to other bikes. Generally that HP only comes with more cubic inches or spinning the engine to higher rpms. OK on a street bike, not necessarily good for dirt. So deciding which of those bikes to buy, you need to look at where you are going to ride it.

Triumph has won the HP crown, though the F800 make more of it below 8,500 rpm. KTM has already announced, according to an Internet source, a 1090cc bike for late 2012 and a 1290cc for late 2013. If KTM holds true to their word, there will be 700cc. The internet reported it to be a twin, seems like the KTM 690 fills that void. Don't know if I believe the 1090 1 year model, but no doubt about the 1290cc. Competition for the new water cooled R1200.

That is why I still believe the 900cc will makes its way into the BMW line up.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 09:57 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #97
Jooka
I grow everywhere

Oddometer: 28
Seems like BMW would be better served to just drop the 'g' series completely as far as branding goes now.

F650GS
F650GS - Sertao
F700GS
F800GS

Still think it should F800GS and F800GSA but at least F700GS won't be so confused with the older single now.
Jooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #98
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
When BMW introduced the F650 twin, they had already dropped the existing F650 singles. They brought them back by popular demand. I don't think they intended for that to happen or they would have just continued the model.

A big to do about nothing, except for the confusion it has caused some people.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #99
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
The F650/700GS motor has a much better low end and midrange powerband
for people who want that kind of power and not the top end concentrated F800GS powerband.
Every dyno test I've seen just shows the top end power chopped off the 650/700 vs. the 800 - the two bikes make the same hp/torque at lower RPM.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #100
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by esblow View Post
Add me to that list also. Anybody remember the early anti-dive fork systems from the 80's?
Working on one today!!! 83 Seca 750. Im putting in new fork seals getting ready to sell it. Im contemplating getting rid of the anti dive, as it makes bleeding the brakes that much more of a hassle.

Ryan
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #101
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
It IS about me! Im a confused consumer too!

For those of us who've lived with the renaming of the F650 to the G and then having a new F650 come in that's a twin and is actually closer to a 8 it seems like the answer is just out there....yet out of reach. Im a Beemer lover brother, not a hater, I just very strongly think they could have easily kept models lined up with the lineage and with a GSA line NEVER had to come up with name changes.

They have no problem with the auto series.. Just call a 650 a 650, etc and a Adventure model a GSA
Actually even the cars are not always named correctly. At one point the 325 had a 2.8 engine and the 328 a 3.0.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #102
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,037
I don care if they call it "Dieser Reiter ist der Mensch als Frau verkleidet" as long as it does not turn in to a street bike which is where it seems to be headed.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #103
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
Actually even the cars are not always named correctly. At one point the 325 had a 2.8 engine and the 328 a 3.0.
The 2011 328i and 335i both have a 3.0 liter engine, turbo'ed in the 335i. In 2012, the 328i gets a 2.0 liter turbo four.

BMW decided a long time ago that they were not going to be constrained to keep their model names and engine displacements synchronized for cars, what with turbos making displacement a poor indicator of actual engine power. They're now doing the same for bikes. Other makes (particularly KTM) have been playing it fast and loose with model names vs. actual displacement as well.

I think we need to get over it.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #104
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,919
Anyone see a price for the '13s yet?

Specifically interested in what the F8GS w/ ESA might run. I'm guessing $15k (MSRP) here in the USA before fees. Anyone know???

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #105
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
That is why I still believe the 900cc will makes its way into the BMW line up.
Maybe, but I think they'd keep the firing angle as it is now. I read somewhere when researching it that it was deliberately built the way it is to get the same sound as the 1200. It sounds like a boxer, basically.

If they change it, they lose that "BMW" connection.

So maybe they'll go with just the bore and stroke?

Who knows? If they take the Nuda motor as is, then why buy a Nuda? They wouldn't take away from a brand they already own? Surely?

Marketing works in mysterious ways. Maybe they'll just leave it as is for the next 4 years and keep selling to the cafe latte tourers? It seems to make up a large slice of their market locally. Why make changes for the minority?

BMW appears at face value to have decided who makes up their target market for each model and aimed the models squarely at them. The local dealer will tell any one enquiring that if they want to do off road like me, buy the 650 single. If you want to do 2-up touring like me, buy the 1200.

I've listened to the sales talks with potential customers, and if they propose that they want to use the F800GS like a lot of us on here do, they start recommending other bikes.

Essentially, they are marketing it as a commuter/weekend solo tourer, with a touch of BMW class.

It's a lot easier market segment to keep happy.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote