User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 03:31 AM   #1
okennon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Hi viz bias

I own and wear the ugliest ten year old emergency orange Olympia coat that is absolutely visible a mile away. I really can't prove shit but I must tell ya there is no way to count the times over the years some errant otherwise mentally occupied cager caught a glint of that f?cking coat and not pull out in front of me or not pulled over into my lane. Sometimes
and again I can't prove it ... I feel like I saw or I sensed a facial tick of recognition when they saw that ORANGE.
Where I'm going with this is I believe I'm seeing less and less hiviz clothing out there on the road and in the market place. We each make our own decisions in life and we must stand by them. Please accept these words of wisdom or just plain experience... fuck the fashion police... loud pipes don't save lives loud colors do ! Sorry for the rant...I'm finished. Ride safe.
okennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:32 AM   #2
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
As with all safety gear its all about risk acceptance and what level you are willing to assume versus what ever other factors you want to consider.

What drives me nuts with some who argue against hi-viz is when they say "it will not stop all cagers ". While that is true it will stop some and at the least it will not cause a car to hit you.

Hell I watched a guy pull out into the side of a school bus once, so you know some one will still not see you, and you still need to ride like you are invisible.

To each his own, I wear hi-viz most of the time and accept that some do not.
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:10 AM   #3
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphoneman View Post
What drives me nuts with some who argue against hi-viz is when they say "it will not stop all cagers ". While that is true it will stop some and at the least it will not cause a car to hit you.
It doesn't even need to stop some, just one would make it worthwhile. My only concern with hi-vis threads is that only jackets are generally discussed. Anything that improves front on visibility is a good thing. Pick white 'barkbuster' style guards if your fitting them (or white gloves) and a predominately white helmet instead of black. Makes a noticeable white triangle.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 276
I got my first hi-viz coat for Christmas, and have been using it as the weather warms up - Olympia Moab, so it's not as warm as my other coat. I have absolutely seen several drivers already react to it. People starting to roll through a stop sign suddenly focus on me and slam on the brakes etc. while I will ALWAYS ride like I'm invisible, no one can convince me it isn't making a difference.

I have also already gotten derogatory comments from some marginal, or non riders, that for some reason think it is their job to evaluate what I wear on the bike. Who cares. Every time I just think, but you noticed, and that's the point.

I just started riding a couple of years ago, and I'm very committed to safety. When I bought my first jacket, I couldn't find a hi-vis in my price range, so I opted for a light color and visible blue jacket, light helmet etc. Black, IMHO, is just silly. It invisible, hot, shows all dirt instantly, and in most fabrics it degrades much faster from UV. But, I agree, wear what you want.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,647
I got a new high visibility mesh jacket and one of my HD riding buddies asked if it came in black to match his all black pirate outfit and all black bike.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 691
This morning I saw a guy wearing a hi viz orange do rag.

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
I just started riding a couple of years ago, and I'm very committed to safety. When I bought my first jacket, I couldn't find a hi-vis in my price range, so I opted for a light color and visible blue jacket, light helmet etc. Black, IMHO, is just silly. It invisible, hot, shows all dirt instantly, and in most fabrics it degrades much faster from UV. But, I agree, wear what you want.
What I have is a black leather armored jacket. To make it more visible, I have a hi-viz vest I throw over. Makes me more visible, gives me a place to put the garage remote and can remove it to wear jacket off bike.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
LoachDriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm a new motorcyclist so I can use every advantage possible in order to continue aging. What I decided to do was wear a high viz yellow helmet... and then not worry about about the color of jackets, pants, vest, bike, etc. I figure that if the highest point on the bike - viewable in 360* grandeur - is my big yellow head, then I can wear whatever I want from the neck down.

The high viz yellow full face helmet is very noticeable. Hell, I've even shocked myself when I've caught a glimpse in a storefront reflection!

LoachDriver
LoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 385
I have a heavy leather motorcycle coat in black that I have worn for about 25 years. I still wear it (man is is comfortable) but have added a Hi-Vis mesh vest. Ugly as sin, but visible. So you don't have to go out and spend a bunch to be visible, that vest cost me all of $15.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJ View Post
What I have is a black leather armored jacket. To make it more visible, I have a hi-viz vest I throw over. Makes me more visible, gives me a place to put the garage remote and can remove it to wear jacket off bike.
That's what I was doing, still do sometimes, when wearing my other jacket. It's a great, low cost way to add visibility and reflectivity. I needed a summer jacket anyway, it was my big purchase this year, and since they were closing out the one I wanted in hi-vis, I figured all the better.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
It doesn't even need to stop some, just one would make it worthwhile. My only concern with hi-vis threads is that only jackets are generally discussed. Anything that improves front on visibility is a good thing. Pick white 'barkbuster' style guards if your fitting them (or white gloves) and a predominately white helmet instead of black. Makes a noticeable white triangle.
Agree with you on that, especially the white colors. I rode around on a white Kymco People 50 for a few years before getting my TU. It was amazing to me how many times I heard the comment 'For a second I thought you were a cop' while I had the Kymco (and a white helmet). I now ride the TU at the same speeds/routes etc as I did the Kymco and notice that I have had quite a few 'SMIDSY' type events compared to when I was on the scooter - even though now I have a Hi Vis jacket, on the Kymco I just had a reflective $15 vest thing worn over a regular jacket.

I'm trying to get the cash together to have my TU painted all white as a result - cagers might not pay attention to safety, but they sure as hell don't like getting nailed for a traffic violation and I think that makes all the practical difference in the world.

I don't want to start an argument or anything but the 'Loud Pipes' deal in my VERY humble opinion is a dangerous double-edged thing. I myself have been so startled at suddenly being overtaken by a blaring motorcycle that I have twitched the steering wheel in my car and veered a bit before regaining my composure - I can just imagine the reaction of some elderly or nervous/inexperienced driver when they are Blatted by some of the pipes I've heard. I honestly believe that 'loud' only works if it is over some kind of time, and if you are going that slowly anyway there ought to be plenty of time and attention to anticipate traffic anyway, but if you are going at highway speeds it all happens so fast you are 'on the scene' at about the same time as the drivers actually hear the noise of your pipes. As I say, just my very novice opinion. I do believe though that 'White Bike' and 'Cop' is linked in the public mind to a degree there is an instinctive reaction to 'PAY ATTENTION" on the part of the driver :)
Old 04-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
Agree with you on that, especially the white colors. I rode around on a white Kymco People 50 for a few years before getting my TU. It was amazing to me how many times I heard the comment 'For a second I thought you were a cop' while I had the Kymco (and a white helmet). I now ride the TU at the same speeds/routes etc as I did the Kymco and notice that I have had quite a few 'SMIDSY' type events compared to when I was on the scooter - even though now I have a Hi Vis jacket, on the Kymco I just had a reflective $15 vest thing worn over a regular jacket.

I'm trying to get the cash together to have my TU painted all white as a result - cagers might not pay attention to safety, but they sure as hell don't like getting nailed for a traffic violation and I think that makes all the practical difference in the world.

I don't want to start an argument or anything but the 'Loud Pipes' deal in my VERY humble opinion is a dangerous double-edged thing. I myself have been so startled at suddenly being overtaken by a blaring motorcycle that I have twitched the steering wheel in my car and veered a bit before regaining my composure - I can just imagine the reaction of some elderly or nervous/inexperienced driver when they are Blatted by some of the pipes I've heard. I honestly believe that 'loud' only works if it is over some kind of time, and if you are going that slowly anyway there ought to be plenty of time and attention to anticipate traffic anyway, but if you are going at highway speeds it all happens so fast you are 'on the scene' at about the same time as the drivers actually hear the noise of your pipes. As I say, just my very novice opinion. I do believe though that 'White Bike' and 'Cop' is linked in the public mind to a degree there is an instinctive reaction to 'PAY ATTENTION" on the part of the driver :)
Both of my scooters are painted white- well, ivory- and I agree. Especially on a scooter with large unbroken surfaces.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #13
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Aux lighting is my go to visibility improver, but I do have a grey Revit with hi viz sleeves for commuting.

What I will never understand is the use of black or camoflage rain gear. I have a yellow BMW 1 piece rain suit and I get called banana man. It makes no sense to me to try and blend in when visibility is reduced.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
I'm trying to get the cash together to have my TU painted all white as a result
Recognize that compared to a scooter, the amount of TU bodywork visible from the front is pretty minimal; I wouldn't expect much gain. Conspicuity lights on the forks may be a better investment.

As for the OP- You might be "seeing" less Hi-Viz, but is that because it's not out there, or you're more used to it?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 708
I really don't care how it looks. I don't see it. lol