ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
shotty_co OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Issue coming home from the rally

So I'm a bit of a noob to my 05.5 950 S ( can handle most basic mechanical stuff but at a loss when it come to electrical issues)

When I left home for the ride up to Steamboat from Colorado Springs, I had to charge the battery to get the bike started. Just as a precaution I threw the charger in my pannier hoping to not need it but knowing that I'm on borrowed time on my current battery ( not sure of the age of the battery)

On the return home, I had my GPS plugged in and in use, my LED lights on and heated grips on ( 37 degrees and raining over my last pass) about 80 miles from home, suddenly the power starts cutting in and out and felt very much like a fuel delivery problem but when I pulled in the clutch, the bike would idle fine but the tach needle jumped erraticly between 1,000 rpms even though the idle was steady

I limped the bike to the nearest gas station, killed the engine and then tried to restart it: no dice, battery is dead so I pull out my charger and wait for about 40 mins and the bike restarts immediately and ran like a champ the entire way home!

So my questions are has anyone experienced anything like this? Can this really be chaulked up to a battery issues and not something more sinister? I used to have a F650 GS and it left me on the side of the road when the battery died, I've never had a bike cut in and out like his because of a dying battery...btw no dash indicators came on
shotty_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Racer111v
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I had the same symptoms, and it was the positive cable to the battery connection. The cable seemed tight, but I was able to turn it another 1/4 turn. It fired right up after that. That battery had a lead terminal that eventually broke. The battery I have in there now has brass terminals and hasn't been an issue since.
Racer111v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
skianreid
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer111v View Post
i had the same symptoms, and it was the positive cable to the battery connection. The cable seemed tight, but i was able to turn it another 1/4 turn. It fired right up after that. That battery had a lead terminal that eventually broke. The battery i have in there now has brass terminals and hasn't been an issue since.
+1
Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
shotty_co OP
Adventurer

Thanks, I'll check the terminals this weekend
Old 09-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer111v View Post
I had the same symptoms, and it was the positive cable to the battery connection. The cable seemed tight, but I was able to turn it another 1/4 turn. It fired right up after that. That battery had a lead terminal that eventually broke. The battery I have in there now has brass terminals and hasn't been an issue since.
+1

Exact same thing happened to me as well
Old 12-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
shotty_co OP
Adventurer

Died again

Sooooo, I tightened the terminals, charged the battery, went for a ride and the same symptoms appeared, this time the bike died immediately on a jeep trail, 4 miles from pavement and had to call friends with a truck to haul me out. The bike died about 30 miles into my ride.

Now , I'm thinking that the stator is not functioning properly

Any insight ?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
dgjackson40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
New Battery

Before blaming stator I think I would opt for new battery. Have the current battery tested but if you are unsure about age of current battery its likely ready for replacement.
dgjackson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
I would bet on the regulator then the stator..

Just a thought, at least the regulator is easy to swap.. :)

Dave
Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,522
+1 on the regulator. I didn't have the erratic idle issue, but I had ongoing issues with battery going dead. On the recommendation of folks on the board, I checked out the regulator. Plug was completely boogered- plastic had melted, wire insulation was hard and cracked. Hooked up a volt meter and started the bike, saw somewhere north of 17V before I turned it off. Ordered up a MOSFET regulator from roadster cycle, but an inmate here has a thread in vendors. My kit was mostly assembled (just needed to attach a new plug to the existing wiring), took me about 30 minutes including several test fits to find a good location for the circuit breaker. No problems since then!
G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 951
+1 Reg/rec has packed it in. I got the same symptoms when mine died. The stock one tends to fail eventually due to heat.

Do the tests listed here to verify. Looks scary, is easy. And comprehensive.

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf

If it spits back that your reg/rec is buggered, go here:

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/...BBZHZlbnR1cmU=

Get this MOSFET reg/rec. Runs cooler than the OEM. Mines been going 3 years now, through some pretty rough shit, with nary a problem.

Mind you, considering you've run you battery flatter than roadkill twice now, you might need a new one of them too.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote