Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
RockyRaccoon OP
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 61,265
Hell's Half Acre - The no-man's land between Hwys 4 and 108

View Larger Map
[note: this map has a couple of quirky loops that were formed in the map-making process, and I couldn't seem to get rid of them]

Really it's more like half a million acres, but who's counting? It's a great green blob of national forest on google maps.

The approaches to this region are guarded on the north and south by two arms of the Stanislaus River and the canyons through which they flow. On the north side of the north canyon Hwy 4 runs to Ebbett's Pass. On the south side of the south canyon is Hwy 108 to Sonora pass. To the east there are the Dardanelles and the Sierra crest, and to the west lies Columbia State Park and New Melones Lake. Between is a forested no-man's land of ridges and canyons without towns, houses, pavement or power.

At first glance this appears to be a great roadless area on the map. Zooming in, it turns out to be covered with a spidery web of faint logging roads that navigate the canyons and ridges in zig-zag fashion as best they can. As a crow might fly, it's about 16 miles across, north to south, from Dorrington to Bumblebee. By GS, on Hell's Half Acre Road, otherwise known as forest roan 5N02, it's more than 50 miles.

I've crossed this region twice. Once in 2008 with my wife on the back and armed with a map, and once again last Saturday by myself and relying only on the the occasional Forest Service road markers and the map in my head.

In 2008, my wife and I went into this maze confidently and came out on Hwy 108 several hours later convinced that we must have taken a wrong turn and missed the "main road." Last weekend I came out several hours later convinced that there is no main road. Hell's Half Acre Road has a name and is marked on maps, but it is a road in name only. For much of the way it is a rarely used partially overgrown duel track no different from the dozens of other tracks that branch from or cross it. It's like a corn maze, but on a grand scale.

At one point I was riding along a ridge near what seemed the middle of this, and there was the remnant of a sign that seemed to indicate the way to a knoll whose name I couldn't make out. I rode the faint track to the crest of the ridge and had a pretty good view. It did indeed look like the middle of a grand maze, surrounded as I was with forested ridges and canyons.

A small creek about a third of the way in

Wild azalea growing on the stream bank - very showy and fragrant

Near Sonora Pass after leaving the maze

Dinner on the way home

Passing Caples Lake at sunset, still more than an hour to ride

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith

RockyRaccoon screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 06:43 PM
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,094
Thank you for this post.. I plan on doing a dual-sport ride starting in Fish Camp on Sat morning, a bunch of NF roads, overnighting in Strawberry, then doing this road on Sunday before riding home to San Jose on Sunday.
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
RockyRaccoon OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Thank you for this post.. I plan on doing a dual-sport ride starting in Fish Camp on Sat morning, a bunch of NF roads, overnighting in Strawberry, then doing this road on Sunday before riding home to San Jose on Sunday.
There are some shortcuts that allow you to cut across some of those big zig-zags, if you have a good map or GPS to help guide you through. I hadn't planned to ride through there when I set out, so I didn't bring a map. As a result, I thought it best to stick to 5N02 (though even that wasn't always easy).

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
There are some shortcuts that allow you to cut across some of those big zig-zags, if you have a good map or GPS to help guide you through. I hadn't planned to ride through there when I set out, so I didn't bring a map. As a result, I thought it best to stick to 5N02 (though even that wasn't always easy).
I've got a Zumo and try to pre-plan my routes... I may explore a bit, thanks!
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
Did you happen to run a GPS and record your route that you could share? I need to do some exploring up there sometime. :) looks like a fun ride.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
This route appears on the north side of the "National Geographic Trails Illustrated" map "#808 Merced& Tuolomne Rivers" I think 5N02 is the same as Forest Road 52, follows a very circuitous route from Dorrington to 108 near Beardsley res - looks like fun, put it on my bucket list.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Kampfire
Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for the info, I've been planning that route out myself. Buddy & me are going to take two or three days and just wander around up there, including going across Hwy 108 and head back in to the Bennett Juniper http://stanislaustour.com/bennett_ju...ree_final.html and then on in to an access road that will get us around Relief Reservoir.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=F...sz=15&t=m&z=15

2008 Kawasaki KLR650, keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.
'96 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
1999 Toyota Land Cruiser, goes where I want to and need to
Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
I have scouted all of this for the most direct and fun route.

http://www.dualsportwest.com/public/...13%20Topaz.pdf
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
There are alot of roads in that area.Kind of a giant rat maze.Some of them are open for ohv use.They can be accessed from the west from camp 9 road or Italian Bar road.If you are really wanting to get lost you can run all the way to hwy 120 at Buck Meadows on forest service roads.The forest service offices have free maps-but kind of small.I ride out of Modesto-If somebody wants to go riding send me a pm.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
There are 2 main route through that rat maze. They both start and finish at the same places.

Route 52 is fs 5N14. A higher elevation rt in the shape of a U. A good part of the north end has been paved.

Hells Half acre is at lower elevation and cuts across the open part of the above U. The lumber company has created a maze on the north end to assist their logging operation, making it difficult to find the "real" 5NO2.

My Garmin and the new Forest service map are not that accurate. You probably will stumble onto 5N03. If you do, it will connect with 5N02 or lead you out, depending on the direction of travel. However you get there, Hells Half acre will connect with 5N14 on the south end above Beardsley just before it turns to pavement.

They are logging again, so the easiest way sometimes is just take the road most traveled north or south.

I have ridden that area from 140 to 88. I still get lost.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 03:55 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
There are 2 main route through that rat maze. They both start and finish at the same places.

Route 52 is fs 5N14. A higher elevation rt in the shape of a U. A good part of the north end has been paved.
Paved!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
The pavement used to end a few miles past the bridge at Sourgrass meadow. It now continues to the top of the first ridge. It adds about 4 more miles of pavement.

What Hells Half Acre road looked like before Dog invented pavement, depends how old you are. Back when the trains were still running, the southern end went around the back end of the new and improved Beardsley res. and the Northern end crosses the N. Fork of the Stanislaus on a single lane wooden bridge called Boards Crossing.

The joy is, that those old roads are still there.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
TaxMan

Oddometer: 108
Thinking about trying to do this route this weekend and wanted to see if anyone might have a GPS track handy that they could send me?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
RockyRaccoon OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
Did you happen to run a GPS and record your route that you could share? I need to do some exploring up there sometime. :) looks like a fun ride.
Sorry, I have no GPS, but if you have one, it should be easy to navigate your way through

Old 10-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxMan View Post
Thinking about trying to do this route this weekend and wanted to see if anyone might have a GPS track handy that they could send me?

Thanks
I tried going through last year with a route I put together with the GPS maps... came upon quite a few closed gates. Found my way out, but felt that it wasn't the most ideal (meaning FUN) route through. The problem is that the roads aren't on the national forest MUVM maps because much of the land is now privately owned by Sierra Forestry(or something like that - logging company)...(but OK to pass through as long as you don't go around gates)