Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 110 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #136
Greg H
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Nice artwork on display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Magnetic valve systems have been around for a while, and they are OK on very low speed engines. But you ain't going to rev one to 14K.
Jinx, have you heard about this?
link
I would think that a big low rpm diesel would be perfect for this application.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:50 AM   #137
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx

It running on the dyno.

CAD drawings, pictures, etc.

They did some sweet work up there.

This year a few teams did turbocharged singles (WR450, and DRZ400 motors).. pretty sweet, big fat torque curves.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:05 AM   #138
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Oddometer: 26,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace
Also there's a bunch of new big diesel engines coming out that have taken the "clockwork" out of engines -- computer-controlled, magnetically driven valvetrains. So the valve timing can change on the fly, depending on engine load.

Anyone know of these?
electronic valve control is old(ish) news. toyota did it in the late 80s by removing camshafts and installing hydraulic actuators directly on the valves. they then used pwm (pulse width modulation) to open and close them. pretty simple technology that is used on every fuel injected automotive engine built today.

problem in my eyes with electronic valve control is you still have the valves to control. get rid of them! everything that runs a linear path, stops, and returns (only to start again) in an engine should be removed and replaced. wasted energy does nothing but decrease efficiency.

if they really must use piston engines use ports like a 2 stroke, or rotating valves like coates does, or ????

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:14 AM   #139
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Oddometer: 26,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace
I've met people from Korea and Japan that have engineering degrees in "engine design". I've worked for various mechanical engineers in Canada before and I've never seen an "engine design" bachelors degree. In the west it seems like degrees are generalist: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering. Does anyone know how an "engine design" bachelors degree varies from a mech.e bachelors? Are "engine designers" really *that* specialized? Certainly the Japanese know what they're doing but somehow I doubt it's their educational system that's getting them where they are.
good question. most of the very good engine designers i've had the fotrune of working with are physics guys. one doode in particular was a physics phd with combustion as a specialty... whatever that means

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:26 AM   #140
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,048
Loaded, this has been one of the most usefully educational threads I have read.

Refreshingly non-political.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:35 AM   #141
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,565
From the looks of things, they may have been prototyping a small displacement V12.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #142
Ruskie
Banned

Oddometer: 29,237
Marine Oldy

D.A.N. 3 hp 2-stroke. Neutral and 1:1 forward only.

bikefixx > misc photo

Ruskie screwed with this post 05-24-2005 at 02:11 PM
Ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:17 AM   #143
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
problem in my eyes with electronic valve control is you still have the valves to control. get rid of them! everything that runs a linear path, stops, and returns (only to start again) in an engine should be removed and replaced. wasted energy does nothing but decrease efficiency.

if they really must use piston engines use ports like a 2 stroke, or rotating valves like coates does, or ????
Some really interesting SAE papers on that.. Yamaha did 2, 3, 4 ,5 6 valve heads and flow tested the whole mess. ended up that 5 with two large intakes produced the best swirl and combustion efficiency.

Piston ported engines tend to have fairly narrow power bands (think RD400, or Detroit 2V6 series.. ). You also end up wasting a lot of fuel, and combustion stroke due to escaping gasses out the exhaust side.. hard for emissions, etc.

Rotary valves are complex and hard to time. Same with sleeve valved engines. Plus they are a bit harder to get a good throttle response out of (more inertia, etc.) With modern materials, you might be better than they were back then.

Combustion chamber design is being honed for power, fuel efficiency and clean burning..

I think you'll see this next:
and more hard headed stuff...
Old 05-24-2005, 01:40 PM   #144
wedgeman
square peg, round whole

Oddometer: 26,230
In PHX? See the airport...

For anyone interested in engines (or miniatures) there is a really neat display of miniature engines, both internal combustion, rotaries, and turbojet style, on the bottom floor of the Phoenix airport.. I think it's by a guy named Knapp.. Most of the engines look like they're one-off's, but there are some excellent specimens of high quality manufacturing and design.. Most intriguing.

Another question on magnetic valves. Anyone know who's been wroking on this? This is an area of extreme interest to me, and I've been trying to find out any group that's got designs in progress or in production. I've been playing with an engine design for 2 yrs, which would be quite happy to have electric or electro-magnetic valve systems. Any help???
wedgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #145
Ruskie
Banned

Oddometer: 29,237
finally got the photo to post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MadRussian
D.A.N. 3 hp 2-stroke. Neutral and 1:1 forward only.

bikefixx > misc photo
finally got the photo to post!
Ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #146
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan
....I think you'll see this next:
and more hard headed stuff...
You get around for a simple country boy.

Widmer is an endlessly fascinating character, and he is not afraid to share (some) of his thinking, which is pretty refreshing these days. EnDyn has that special mix of "sure come on in and have a look around" and "You saw too much. Now we have to kill you". I would love to be a fly on the wall for some of the things they are involved with in the "back" rooms.

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:32 PM   #147
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick
BMC ''B'' block,no mechanical fuel pump - most likely an MG B 1800cc motor,but could be 1500cc or 1622cc.I know they raced MGs,but those motors took far more abuse in Austin Cambridges,Morris Oxfords and Austin/Morris 1800s - the oil filters on some were so hard to get at they were never changed...I've seen them throw rods then.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:39 PM   #148
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,453
Here, Navistar has been playing with solenoid actuated valves for a few years.
http://www.edn.com/article/CA60964.html

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:45 PM   #149
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
A tear down on one of the local utility turbine generators. I snapped this last month.

Ohhhhh...... my. That is beautiful. I would like to see the other half. The vanes would be equally impressive I'm sure.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:46 PM   #150
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,645
Intricate mechanical engineering is a marvel. I love to look at the intricate mechanisms of mechanical cameras and watches. Something wonderful was lost when electronics replaced these marvels.
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: