User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
mikejohn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Trucks

Next year I am planning to get a newer truck, hopefully a crew cab, what I'd like to know which is considered the best all rounder. Frontier, Tacoma, Canyon/Colorado? I will be looking for something that can pull a enclosed trailer 6'x12 toy hauler/camping, maybe put a roof top tent on the trailer or mod it to over the bed of the truck. I would like good towing power, decent fuel mileage. I might be open to full size trucks, however I would get a regular or extended cab.

I miss my 1989 SWB Chevy truck stolen and found torched
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,461
I think you would be much happier with a full size, 1/2 ton, for pulling a trailer. You know you are going to end up hauling more & more stuff. I'd look at the Silverado, F150 or, Tundra.

Take a look at the new F150 with the ecoboost V6. It has been getting some darn good reviews. 420 ft.lbs. of torque out of a V6!!

Also the Silverado with the 5.3 V8 is getting as good of gas mileage as most V6's.

The Tundra is a darn nice truck but holy crap, are they proud of them. The Tundra doesn't get the best fuel mileage though. I have two friends that have them. Nice trucks, plenty of power but, lousy fuel mileage. Better deals & financing can be found on the chebbies & Fords.

I wouldn't get a Dodge if someone paid me. I don't care if it's got a hemi. The only good hemi had orange paint and was 426 cubic inches.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
trailwing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
My jeep acts like a parachute behind my 1500. I don't know what a box trailer is like.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
mikejohn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasser View Post
I think you would be much happier with a full size, 1/2 ton, for pulling a trailer. You know you are going to end up hauling more & more stuff. I'd look at the Silverado, F150 or, Tundra.

Take a look at the new F150 with the ecoboost V6. It has been getting some darn good reviews. 420 ft.lbs. of torque out of a V6!!

Also the Silverado with the 5.3 V8 is getting as good of gas mileage as most V6's.

The Tundra is a darn nice truck but holy crap, are they proud of them. The Tundra doesn't get the best fuel mileage though. I have two friends that have them. Nice trucks, plenty of power but, lousy fuel mileage. Better deals & financing can be found on the chebbies & Fords.

I wouldn't get a Dodge if someone paid me. I don't care if it's got a hemi. The only good hemi had orange paint and was 426 cubic inches.

I do like the bowtie's My 89 silverado had a 350 ci, once it was broken in, I could go from Nashville to Atlanta on almost a third of a tank. how I hate thieves(and i don't care even if they do look like A.Jolie)
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
I do like the bowtie's My 89 silverado had a 350 ci, once it was broken in, I could go from Nashville to Atlanta on almost a third of a tank.
That's old school. Gen II 350 small block with TBI. Bullet proof engine and fuel system to work on though.

The new Gen IV small block with SFI is butter smooth with, even better fuel mileage and power.

Go drive a new Chevy. You will feel like a kid in a candy store.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,183
I have an 05 Colorado 3.5 4wd with a 5 speed manual. It does not tow well. The motor has very little low end torque (will come on the cam at 4000 rpm - like that's worthwhile).

I have a 15' aluminum bass boat that my 93 Ranger 4.0 didn't even feel. The Colorado is dragged down by it, difficult on the highway to keep it in 5th, unless it's flat or downhill. The Colorado even feels slower towing an EMPTY aluminum snowmobile trailer.

The Tacoma or Frontier have better torque for sure, but a V8 GM truck would be better than either, I'd say.

Why not find a nice, used Chevy/GMC truck like your old one? Lots cheaper, less depreciation and you know what it'll do.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
I've got a Ford F-150 extended cab and I love it, I'd recommend those. The last Chevy I had peeling paint and spent more time in the shop than a vehicle should have.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
1fastjunebug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Truck

For your purposes, you might consider staying away from the mid sized trucks and consider the full size variety instead. In that category:

TUNDRA - hands down.

Comparably equipped, Chevy, Ford and Toyota are about the same price if bought new. Tundra has a couple of engine choices, three trim levels and will tow just about anything legal. Also has "manly" control knobs for fan, heat, a/c, etc. unlike it's competitors. Interior is big, comfortable, and build quality is there for sure. Only down side of the crew cab is that they only offer a short bed version. Ford and Chevy can give you 40 acre trucks.

Fuel economy - not too pretty good but we just got 20.5 on a recent road trip with 4 occupants, dog, pulling a 20' enclosed trailer with 4 street bikes, tools, compressor, etc. averaging about 65 mph in the Texas Hill Country with the AC on full tilt boogy. Mine is the 5.7 litre engine, max cab, short bed. Much better than the 14.8 average city/commute that I was used to in my normal day to day driving.

If resale value means anything to you, compare 4 year old vehicles and see who comes out on top!

The best advice that I can give you is to go drive them all, compare the features, the drive out price and buy what suites you and your needs the best.

You might also consider used as previously suggested, but in that case, I'd only consider the Tundra,

1fastjunebug screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 11:13 AM
1fastjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
f-150 with ecoboost

do they still make a dakota with a huge engine?
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
f-150 with ecoboost
Yup. Everything I have been reading and hearing from people that own one are very happy with their purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
do they still make a dakota with a huge engine?
No. Dakota production stopped in 2011.

There are some good deals to be found on the older Dakotas with the 360 V8 but, they are gas hogs and everything but the engine is a POS.

To the OP mikejohn, watch Chevy & Toyota for used, Certified Pre-owned. Someone else has already taken the hit on depreciation. GM & Toyota go the extra mile on Certified Pre-Owned inspections for re-sale.