Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #31
Dirt Smoker
n00b

Oddometer: 1
There was no 4th day, all 6 riders ran out of gas and died of dehydration just outside of Hawthorne. R.I.P Two headed monster, gone but not forgotten. Seriously though, where's day 4? It's been like 3 weeks Gary!! LOL
Dirt Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #32
F250Pal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Smoker View Post
There was no 4th day, all 6 riders ran out of gas and died of dehydration just outside of Hawthorne. R.I.P Two headed monster, gone but not forgotten. Seriously though, where's day 4? It's been like 3 weeks Gary!! LOL
On it tomorrow.
F250Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #33
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,167
I'm in Reno for a few months, and I have the weekend off. Any rides going on I can get in on?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #34
F250Pal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I'm in Reno for a few months, and I have the weekend off. Any rides going on I can get in on?
PM sent.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #35
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Enjoying this one and taking notes for future rides! Nevada--I miss you.
Thanks for sharing F250Pal.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #36
F250Pal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nornev norcal

July 14-15 2012

Stagecoach Carson City Virginia City Lockwood Sparks Moon Rocks Doyle Antelope Lake Taylorsville Genesee Lake Davis Portola Frenchman Lake
loyalton Dog Valley Verdi Hunter Lake Reno Virginia City Stagecoach.

Virginia Range looking northwest at Reno.

Antelope Lake Store. Last quart of oil left with us.

X-Files episode?

Day one.

Frenchman.

Hunter Lake.

Day two.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #37
F250Pal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nevada: West to East. East to West 4.0

July 4, 2012

Breakfast. Coffee. Load up camp. Everybody needs gas. We say good bye to Bob Scott Campground, and ten minutes later we are in Austin, NV. If we would have been about a half an hour later, we could have be an entry in the 4th of July parade. Just missed it.

Leaving Austin.

Day four had no planned return route until last night. First thought was that we would travel north of USHWY 50 on the entire return trip and attempt to ride as much of the PXT that we could navigate from our Nevada Benchmark
Road and Recreation Atlas. We refered to this document multiple times daily. None of us can afford GPS. Probably safe to say that the whole crew would rather buy new knobbies than an electronic device.

We decide to stay south and seek shade. Some of day one's ride is ridden backward, and what do you know, It was like a completey different ride. South down Reese River Valley there are epic views of the west side of the Toiyabe Range. Working ranches and open Nevada range land the whole way down all around us. Everything on the left side of us is hard not to look at. Four peaks over 10K, two over 11K, woods, canyon after canyon, most with roads and all with water. If you ever want to have an extremely large portion of planet earth all to yourself with no rules and no humans, for an extended period of time, this area should be on top of your short list. We eventually roll through the Yomba Indian Reservation again and notice that there is a sign stating that they will sell you gasoline if you inquire at the tribal office. Note to self. Back over Ione Summit, which was just worked over by the Nye County Road Department's motor grader. Through Ione then north to Carroll Summitt to seek shade and ride in the trees. Gas at Middlegate sounds good. Up Ione Valley to the crossroads at the Nye/Lander county line. Lean left at the intersection. Been riding a few hours now and have not passed a vechicle yet. Thinking a lot how much being retired and/or independently wealthy would not suck. We finally see pavement for the first time in a long time. We stop and look south. Gabbs? Whisky Tango Foxtrot? Too much left turn back at the crossroads. We cross SR 361 at the Gabbs Airport. Didn't even clean the dust off the knobs crossing over the asphalt. Back on Gas Line Road to deep dry blow sand. It's hot out here. It looks like how someone that has never been to Nevada would visualize Nevada here. Playa, sand, solitary broken windmill, miles and miles sparse low brush, long straight roads all surrounded by treeless mountains. Everyone is getting holiday pay from work today. I love America. We go by Deadhorse Well and over Ryan Pass.

Down Ryan Canyon right through the center of the Hawthorne Army Depot and into downtown Hawthorne, NV. Gas is purchased by all and followed by a quick departure. A few minutes of slab on SR 359 to Lucky Boy Pass for lunch. Back in the trees. Much cooler up here.

Lucky Boy Pass looking northeast at Hawthorne.

Food was good. We hit Bodie Road and head to Ninemile Ranch. Going north now pointed toward home. Going by the Walker River. Lots of Cottonwood trees. Pass the Hilton Ranch and their private airport, the place Steve Fawcett flew out of before crashing his plane. Pass the Flying M and get on some BLM trails, and everyone suddenly is on the gas. 900 miles into a four day ride and a desert race in on. The front half of the two headed monster, 950 KTM guy, and 690 KTM guy team raced the BITD Vegas to Reno a few years ago. These guys rip. Tired and smiling we pass through Wellington and get on Artesia Road then up and over Sunrise Pass. 950 KTM guy smells home and hits 6th. That is the last I see of him. We cut toward Mexican Dam along the Carson River. The two headed monster turns left and peels off. We get back to US HWY 50 on the east side of Carson City, KTM 690 and CRF450X go straight and I turn east. Good Times with good people. Could not have done it without the babes. Thank you babes.

Trip odometer had fun again.

Day four. Done.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #38
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,424
Just saw this, looks like you guys had a great time!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #39
F250Pal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dust Free Desert

Haven't checked in in a while. Been riding this.

Because this happened to Chane.

It's ok now. Did this yesterday.

More updates soon. Best time of the year to ride in Northern Nevada.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #40
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,468
Ouch! I take it you didn't have hoglegs or other support for the subframe?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #41
jsg161968
daydreamer

Oddometer: 13
Great RR. Your pics and writing were cool. It sparked a lot of memories for me. I lived in Reno for a bit and rode a lot. I met some nice people, raced in some MRANN races and especially liked the solitude you referenced. The desert made me a good rider and I am grateful for that education. What literally drove me out of there was the WIND...it was relentless and purposeless. Anyhow, the vast riding options are what stick in my mind. Thanks for the cool repeort.
jsg161968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #42
zack05
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Just incredible. Thanks for putting all this up. I've ridden alot of the same stuff. Nevada rules. I like places with a little elbow room. Interested in the 450X. Does it go the whole way w/o oil change? Also looks like a 3.2 gal. IMS tank. I get less than 90 miles on the same bike/tank. Do you carry enough extra fuel bottles to make the distance? Also it looks lowered.
zack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #43
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,653
[QUOTE=zack05;20106856Nevada rules. I like places with a little elbow room.[/QUOTE]

Same here - nice tale!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #44
XStatic450
ouch

Oddometer: 21
Loved the pics, makes me miss Nevada!!!
XStatic450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #45
F250Pal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tour de Lyon County

Sunday 11.25.12
Three bikes. Two XRL's one DRZ. I planned on taking many photos. It didn't happen. Everyone kept a very brisk pace. It was fun. Stagecoach Silver Springs Lahontan Walker River Weber Reservior Pumpkin Hollow Rafter 7 Ranch East Walker Road FS Road 100 to 463. Fuel is a concern now, we have gone about 150 miles, and I have flopped over to reserve. Buckboard General Store in Smith Valley, NV. Fill fuel tanks. Cheese burgers and fries for all. It's dark now. Two hours at least to get home. Wellington Artesia Lake Sunrise Pass El Dorado Canyon Dayton Home.

219 miles. 25 or so paved. Over two hours in the dark.